Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NJD] Devante Smith-Pelly for Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Lets wait next year before jumping to conclusions. DSP is having a hot scoring streak on a non playoff team in a meaningless part of the season. DSP is not a scoring forward on a playoff team and he was pretty disapointing because of his lack of consistency and jump. He is also a bit slow and I dont know he just doesnt seem motivated enough.

Yes he is scoring right now and good for him, but it's his fault and not MT if he didnt leave it all on the ice.

MB took a gamble on a younger player and I am glad he did. Let's be honest everyone was happy that DSP left because he just did not show much during his tenure in MTL.

I might be wrong but I just don't see much potential in DSP and I feel like I saw enough of him in MTL to make the right call. His current scoring spree feels like an anomaly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lets wait next year before jumping to conclusions. DSP is having a hot scoring streak on a non playoff team in a meaningless part of the season. DSP is not a scoring forward on a playoff team and he was pretty disapointing because of his lack of consistency and jump. He is also a bit slow and I dont know he just doesnt seem motivated enough.

Yes he is scoring right now and good for him, but it's his fault and not MT if he didnt leave it all on the ice.

MB took a gamble on a younger player and I am glad he did. Let's be honest everyone was happy that DSP left because he just did not show much during his tenure in MTL.

I might be wrong but I just don't see much potential in DSP and I feel like I saw enough of him in MTL to make the right call. His current scoring spree feels like an anomaly.

Maybe, but his current scoring spree equals six years of Matteau scoring

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Gotta agree with LG here. I don't really blame MB for the trade. There really isn't much he could have done. DSP wasn't performing here, and as a result, didn't really get the minutes from MT.

That said, if DSP does break out in NJ, it really raises questions for MT.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This is why it's important to experiment with other players in the top six instead of only ever trying Weise, Byron, and Desharnais.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Petry for 2nd and 4th round
Condon for nothing
Barberio for nothing
Diaz for nothing so ultimately Danault for nothing
Byron for nothing
Matteau for DSP

MB's net roster changes of NHL regulars in 4 offseasons to:

Gorges
White

for

Petry
Byron
Mitchell
Flynn

*Two 2nds given up cancel out the two 2nds gained

At a micro level he wins some small deals sure but the sense people have as if he wins most of the trades he makes isnt true when you look big picture. He really hasnt done much at all.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Tsn

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-players-happy-smith-pellys-recent-success/

“It’s difficult to produce when you’re only playing 10 minutes a game,†Smith-Pelly told Montreal newspaper La Presse.

“They scratched me more often than they played me,†Smith-Pelly told La Presse. “I didn’t agree with it, but it was a reality.â€

and the best:

Montreal’s depth at right wing was a factor that held Smith-Pelly back, according to Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.

“On the right side we got (Brendan) Gallagher, who’s obviously an important player for us. We ended up signing (Alexander) Semin, who we had to give an opportunity. You got Dale Weise, who had a really good start,†Therrien said Friday.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-players-happy-smith-pellys-recent-success/

Montreal’s depth at right wing was a factor that held Smith-Pelly back, according to Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.

“On the right side we got (Brendan) Gallagher, who’s obviously an important player for us. We ended up signing (Alexander) Semin, who we had to give an opportunity. You got Dale Weise, who had a really good start,†Therrien said Friday.

Holy **** :laugh:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

“It’s difficult to produce when you’re only playing 10 minutes a game,†Smith-Pelly told Montreal newspaper La Presse.

“They scratched me more often than they played me,†Smith-Pelly told La Presse. “I didn’t agree with it, but it was a reality.â€

and the best:

Crazy answer.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Petry for 2nd and 4th round
Condon for nothing
Barberio for nothing
Diaz for nothing so ultimately Danault for nothing
Byron for nothing
Matteau for DSP (we will judge that later on)

Wow so we actually improved REALLY with Petry while getting a 2nd goalie and a 7th d-man. Awesome job in 4 years.

Crazy answer.

Wow awesome depth!!! Gallagher-Semin-Weise....I mean how are we not a cup winner already even if the playoffs aren't started yet?

Gotta agree with LG here. I don't really blame MB for the trade. There really isn't much he could have done. DSP wasn't performing here, and as a result, didn't really get the minutes from MT.

Sorry man, that makes no sense. When asked the question to B ergevin about players usage, he said that it was just as much his decision than Therrien's. So the day you go and get DSP, while being recommended by all of our top guns, you question your coach about the usage as if they beleived he could become like that, how about you use him like that?

So....let,s trade everybody who isn't performing? Not that long ago, I guess ti w ould then had make sense to trade Galchenyuk 'cause...that wasn't looking good....AND he didn't get the minutes from MT, remember? When Therrien was preferring DD....should we have traded Galchy for the reasons you mentioned for DSP? Should we have traded Eller?

Sorry man but do you see how that doesn't make any freakin sense? Therrien kills confidence and momentum....so let's trade everybody who are the victimes of this terrible coaching?

Last edited by a moderator:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Sorry man, that makes no sense. When asked the question to B ergevin about players usage, he said that it was just as much his decision than Therrien's. So the day you go and get DSP, while being recommended by all of our top guns, you question your coach about the usage as if they beleived he could become like that, how about you use him like that?

So....let,s trade everybody who isn't performing? Not that long ago, I guess ti w ould then had make sense to trade Galchenyuk 'cause...that wasn't looking good....AND he didn't get the minutes from MT, remember? When Therrien was preferring DD....should we have traded Galchy for the reasons you mentioned for DSP? Should we have traded Eller?

Sorry man but do you see how that doesn't make any freakin sense? Therrien kills confidence and momentum....so let's trade everybody who are the victimes of this terrible coaching?

DSP wasn't performing with Getzlaf and Perry either, in defense of those who defend the trade.

That said, that was 2 seasons ago and he's in better shape then he was at the time and I really don't feel he was given any true opportunity at all this season.

I'm not sure he can sustain the current pace but at the same time I don't feel like Therrien put him in a position to make himself valuable either.

But there is no doubt in my mind he's a better player than Matteau today, and tomorrow and 2 years from now. So in the ends don't really justify the means in this trade.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What minor trades has he lost?
I'll name you a few that he's won...

Diaz for Weise
Fleishmann for Danault
Weise for a 2nd (knowing that Pirri a better goal scorer was traded for a 5th)

That's just off the top of my head

You are totally right. I was wrong. We didn't lose a whole lot of trades. We just didn,t win anything significant. But hey, i guess in Bergevin's fanboys world, not losing is good enough. Oh that and not traded people we could have regreat trading. THAT, Bergevin is the best in the biz. He didn't trade Price, didn't trade Galchy, didn't trade GAllagher, awesome GM.

What kind of expectations is that?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Obviously DSP is not going to sustain a ppg pace, however he only needs to demonstrate that he is better than Weise and Byron, which i think he is likely to end up doing.

It looks really bad on Therrien and his stupid answer makes it look worse. Gallagher was injured for many games, Semin was fired for his Desharnais-esque production and Weise is playing five minutes a game in Chicago.

Therrien is dumb, arrogant, and has a fetish for underdogs. These flaws amplify each other, for example the arrogance means he can't learn from his mistakes. Instead of saying that he was wrong about DSP he says that Semin provided depth.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
DSP wasn't performing with Getzlaf and Perry either, in defense of those who defend the trade.

That said, that was 2 seasons ago and he's in better shape then he was at the time and I really don't feel he was given any true opportunity at all this season.

I'm not sure he can sustain the current pace but at the same time I don't feel like Therrien put him in a position to make himself valuable either.

But there is no doubt in my mind he's a better player than Matteau today, and tomorrow and 2 years from now. So in the ends don't really justify the means in this trade.

I thought so too. And DSP Should and will cool down. But not being able at that age to not perform is one thing. Getting a 2nd and new chance while being the type of player we needed is another. Unfortunately, we wrere blinded by his usage and hated DSP for it instead of hating Therrien. Just like we ALL thought Parenteau was DONE. And...he isn't.

Mad Brills*

Matteau isn't even a good 4th liner.

He's most likely AHL filler.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC

and the best:

This sounds like a coach desperately looking to explain why he didn't give an opportunity to a player that clearly looks like he is flourishing now that he's been given an opportunity.

Our Depth on the right side is a joke. The bottom line in this is that MT doesn't trust players that don't fit an EXACT paradigm for him. During that MASSIVE slide the opportunities went to players that weren't going to produce in them. DSP was given a grand total of 1 game to replace Gally when he went down. He played a great game but got a minor injury. He was never given the opportunity again. DD went back to centre and Galch back to wing.

I think Patches Galch and DSP should have been a line at about the 40 game mark ... we'd be in a playoff spot if that had happened.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Matteau struggled in NJ imagine how badly he will do in Montreal playing for that coaching staff

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

It raises a lot of questions that many of us have been raising for more than a year. His double standards and strategic limitations have had a dire impact on this team. I'm not sure which is most egregious, but I'm going to go with double standards. He comes down hard for no reason on players he dislikes, particularly among the forwards who do not have much of a history or standing with the team, some of whom turn out to be decent players under different coaches, while promoting his favorites who are truly borderline NHLers. That makes the Habs needlessly starved for offense. This cratering effect was masked by Price's career year in 2014-15, but not this season.

This coach only does better when the GM takes away his favorites (Bouillon) or if his favorites get injured (DD): only then does the coach stumble to success, which is an indication that he does have the playing talent to succeed.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He is completely sabotaging the team. Arrogance and incompetence together is just plain ugly.

First coach and gm in my life that has turned me off my team.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Fleishman - 13 goals

Playing slightly less with the Hawks, slightly less productive so far (before that sweet goal a moment ago, maybe), but looking better than he did over the weeks leading up to the deadline (like everyone else). Go figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad