Confirmed with Link: [MTL/LA] Drewiske to MTL for 5th round pick '13

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I was not an O'Byrne fan ever... and apparently neither are some of the Avs fans.. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1394473.
I'll take Drew.

My favourite post from that thread (other than thank God he's gone) is :

The Ryan O'Byrne Hattrick
1. Watching people score.
2. Playing half of the game without a stick and with a purse.
3. Jumping into the rush losing the puck instantly.

e20bef6b57826919c0e97c02c45de462.jpeg

Goodbye Big Sexy.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Crock. You the first man back, you take the puck carrier, and the goalie should be yelling directions to the rest, and you.

There is no time to 'choose between risks' in a down ice fast play. You take the man.

So this seems to imply you want the first man back to go after the puck carrier, correct? Why would Drewiske take the puck carrier when Boullion was clearly covering him?

OK, maybe not the puck carrier then. I've gotta protect the net. How about the guy who was driving the middle lane then? Damn, he's already covered by Galchenyuk.

OK, who else. Looking to his right, he sees a guy that is clearly wide open heading straight for the net. A guy that no one had picked up on the backcheck.

Why the hell WOULDN'T he cover him? Why the hell would he simply point at him when no one else was looking then proceed to box out the player who was already tied up by the center? What is the point of covering "your" man if he is already covered, leaving someone else wide open in the process?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I do not regret the loss of O'Byrne, contrary to the nostalgia of some Hab fans. There are loads of comparable 5-6 Dmen, including Drewiske, a minor but useful addition.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
44DD has played very well. Kings must be really deep at D that he barely played.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
So how has 44DD looked so far? Most of us Kings fans are rooting for the guy. Good to see him get a chance.

Last night was his baptism by fire.

I was always a huge Drewiske fan (acquired him in my sim league this summer, and now I am pretty pumped he got traded to the Habs), and I knew he could perform if he was given a little more ice time.

He was just stuck behind your amazing D depth.

Anyways, he played well, blocked several shots and constantly made smart plays. Plus he was used on his off side, which must have been a challenge.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
With Emelin out, I wonder if Drewiske will have to play a bigger role? I like what he's brought to the table so far. Ideally, I'd like Montreal to sign a defenseman with more upside going into next season, but as a stop-gap, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on the cheap for another season.

Analyzer*

I'd like for him to be a bit more physical, but that really isn't part of his game.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
44DD has played very well. Kings must be really deep at D that he barely played.

Well, for his role he was just unlucky I think. Last year our defense barely ever missed a game and he was not likely to play over Mitchell, Scuderi and Greene. This season he started more often and played well. But again, it was a numbers game with him sitting and then getting RR from Buff made his spot redundant.

But it's hard to find a Kings fan who didn't like the guy.

pine*

Drewiske > Bouillon. Boggles my mind as to why we signed 51 to an extension so quickly.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Drewiske > Bouillon. Boggles my mind as to why we signed 51 to an extension so quickly.

Umm no

As solid as Drewiske has looked, he hasn't been better than Bouillon. Bouillon has been awesomely steady and efficient. At 1.5 mil he is a cap bargain.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Not too impressed by the guy so far. He's cought out of position way too often. I would prefer to see Tinordi or Kaberle in the lineup instead of him (though he might just be nervous or not used to a new system).

But so far he hasn't showed he could be used as a regular dman.

And he's certainly not as good as Bouillon, who would be good enough to play on the top-4 on a lot of teams. I don't get what some people have against Bouillon. Is it because he speaks french?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Not too impressed by the guy so far. He's cought out of position way too often. I would prefer to see Tinordi or Kaberle in the lineup instead of him (though he might just be nervous or not used to a new system).

And he's certainly not as good as Bouillon, who would be good enough to play on the top-4 on a lot of teams. I don't get what some people have against Bouillon. Is it because he speaks french?

:rolleyes:

yes, it's obviously because he speaks French.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com

I somewhat agree with Bouillon. He is a very decent player and doesn't get the appreciation he deserves but if he were in the top 4, his flaws or deficiencies would be more clear and more pronounced. I'd rather they not use him to his full potential then overplay him. Bit of a tweener. This way he becomes a strong 3rd pairing d instead of a weak 2nd pairing d.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
I hope MB gives DD a contract for next year. I think he is the perfect #6/#7 dman to ha ve on a roster. A team first type guy with some size who plays a solid if unspectacular game. Better to let the kids develop in Hamilton

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
didnt impress me that much neither.

Saw him a few times out of position. i found he has a tendency to go to the left side to help the other D, leaving a whole lot of space free for the opponents on his own side.

Weird, i dont remember our three recent rookies (pateryn, tinordi and even beaulieu) doin such big mistakes

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I don't know, the guy just played almost 24 minutes against the Bruins (Bouillon played 17 minutes). I'm not sure how anyone can not be impressed by that, especially for a #6 d-man who cost a 5th round pick.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I disagree. I think 44DD needs a certain time to adapt to this team, and also get used to playing more. The guy was used for 23min last game, he hasn't seen over 20min in a game since 2010. Give him some time.
But overall, I think he's been pretty good. He usually takes simple decisions, and moves the puck out effectively.
I'm sure he'll keep improving.

As for Bouillon, put him in a #4 position and he'd struggle. As a 6th Dman, he's done a good job.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
didnt impress me that much neither.

Saw him a few times out of position. i found he has a tendency to go to the left side to help the other D, leaving a whole lot of space free for the opponents on his own side.

Weird, i dont remember our three recent rookies (pateryn, tinordi and even beaulieu) doin such big mistakes

Emelin does that very often too. It's not uncommon for Dmen used on their off wing to chase Dman back to their natural side.
We'll see if he's able to adapt better.

With Emelin hurt however, I would like to see him back on his natural side with PK on the right. Put Gorges on the right of Markov.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Drewiske plays a type of game that is hard to appreciate or be impressed by. He's very quiet back there, but solid. He won't rush the puck, he won't make a big hit, but he knows where to be on the ice and can break up plays with an active stick and some good calm board work.

He plays an extremely simple game.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Drewiske plays a type of game that is hard to appreciate or be impressed by. He's very quiet back there, but solid. He won't rush the puck, he won't make a big hit, but he knows where to be on the ice and can break up plays with an active stick and some good calm board work.

He plays an extremely simple game.

The Habs made good use of Hal Gill, who didn't make big hits or bring the puck up ice. Gill used his wingspread on the penalty kill but Drewiske is more mobile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad