Confirmed with Link: [MTL/LA] Drewiske to MTL for 5th round pick '13

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Wasn't Gorges -2 after his first 2 shifts when we got him?

sp33d

Dec 28, 2005
i thought/hoped he would be a bit more physical.

but he's been pretty steady and has a good first pass as well.

Captain Mittens*

i thought/hoped he would be a bit more physical.

but he's been pretty steady and has a good first pass as well.

44DD is all about the steady. You won't get much of a physical game from him.

Aside from the lack of physicality, how did he look for The Habs last night?

belko

Mar 13, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I just looked at it again and I will say that it might be Drewiske's fault. It's certainly not Ryder's as he was covering the guy at the point.

Galchenyuk was covering the guy @ the near post and Drewiske should've been at the far post.

This is probably too much discussion over a single goal against in a game we won.. but what else is the internet for if not for pictures of cats and arguments with strangers, right? :)

Take another look at the replay. You can clearly see Drewiske point to the trailer coming down in the slot, telling Ryder to cover that man while he handles Byfuglien in front of the net.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
This is probably too much discussion over a single goal against in a game we won.. but what else is the internet for if not for pictures of cats and arguments with strangers, right? :)

Take another look at the replay. You can clearly see Drewiske point to the trailer coming down in the slot, telling Ryder to cover that man while he handles Byfuglien in front of the net.

The problem with that play is that nobody sees him point at the guy, and if they did, no one reacted properly.

Seeing as Galchenyuk clearly had picked up Byfuglien who was charging the net, someone has to pick up Burmistrov, and if it wasn't Ryder, then who else should it be? Drewiske should have realistically seen where the biggest threat to score was, and should have picked up Burmistrov sneaking in back-door. Failed coverage all around, you can't really blame one guy on this one. Nearly everyone missed their assignments here, and when that happens, you have to adapt on the fly. This didn't happen, and more often than not, mistakes like these end up in the back of then net.

I have been rather impressed by his game so far though. Simple, but he looks like he makes some pretty smart decisions with/without the puck. For the cost of a 5th round pick, this looks like a pretty good deal.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
He is definitely better than Beaulieu and Tinordi right now. Those guys need more seasoning and the playoffs is not the time for it. I think Tinordi will probably break camp with the team in the #5-7 slot. Beaulieu needs at least another half year AHL if not a full year.

Agreed with every thing you wrote. If he keeps up his play, I feel more comfortable starting the playoffs with Drewiske than the two rookies. Seems like a good pick-up by Bergevin.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not from the 20 or so games I've seen him play. He still fumbles with the puck constantly and is a liability out there.

Drewiske is the better option.
This is the Montreal forum, man.

Hitting = skill.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
O'Byrne was a strong boy. But although I haven't seen much of Drewiske yet, I would rather have him than O'Byrne. Consensus among LA fans seems to be that this guy is smart positionally and that he is a hard worker and a sacrifice-it-all-for-the-team guy. I always found O'Byrne a little lazy.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agreed with every thing you wrote. If he keeps up his play, I feel more comfortable starting the playoffs with Drewiske than the two rookies. Seems like a good pick-up by Bergevin.

We could even re-sign him for next year to begin at #6 or #7, and leave Tinordi and Beaulieu to either earn a starting job or go back to Hamilton. No reason to be on the bench in the bigs when you are 21 years old, have a 2-way contract and are still learning.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I like what I see of him, and based on what I read, if he plays in the playoffs, he will be the type of guy who'll throw his face in front of a puck to prevent the other team to score. Exactly what a team need.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The problem with that play is that nobody sees him point at the guy, and if they did, no one reacted properly.

Seeing as Galchenyuk clearly had picked up Byfuglien who was charging the net, someone has to pick up Burmistrov, and if it wasn't Ryder, then who else should it be? Drewiske should have realistically seen where the biggest threat to score was, and should have picked up Burmistrov sneaking in back-door. Failed coverage all around, you can't really blame one guy on this one. Nearly everyone missed their assignments here, and when that happens, you have to adapt on the fly. This didn't happen, and more often than not, mistakes like these end up in the back of then net.

I have been rather impressed by his game so far though. Simple, but he looks like he makes some pretty smart decisions with/without the puck. For the cost of a 5th round pick, this looks like a pretty good deal.

Crock. You the first man back, you take the puck carrier, and the goalie should be yelling directions to the rest, and you.

There is no time to 'choose between risks' in a down ice fast play. You take the man.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Of the 2 games I've seen so far, he seems to be very smart positionally, and when he pins a guy to the boards, that guy is eliminated from the play. He's Very strong. Type of Number 6 we want. Adding guys like Ellis & Tinordi in Future? This guy would be a perfect extra to stick around, he doesn't hurt the team.

Captain Mittens*

. Consensus among LA fans seems to be that this guy is smart positionally and that he is a hard worker and a sacrifice-it-all-for-the-team guy.

That's exactly what he is. He'll do everything that is asked of him and a little more. He can sit for 10 games and play like he was in the game the night before.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Looked much better his second game and I'm still willing to give him time to adjust after spending the last 5 years in his first and only NHL org. Coming as advertised, #6 dman, not much else to ask for from him.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Mike Boone, TVA Sports and I disagree with you.

I'm sorry but Mike Boone is no hockey expert. He may blog about it but he knows pretty much squat about the game tactically. I remember a game recently where he criticized Cube for not taking the foward with the puck on a 2 on 1 and playing the pass instead. Granted Cube on that play effed up his gap and allowed the shooter in but that was his mistake, not playing the pass.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm sorry but MIke Boone is no hockey expert. He may blog about it but he knows pretty much squat about the game tactically. I remember a game recently where he criiticized Cube for not taking the foward with the puck on a 2 on 1 and playing the pass instead. Granted Cube on that play effed up his gap and allowed the shooter in but that was his mistake, not playing the pass.

Indeed. He's still better than Eric Engels though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad