Confirmed with Link: [MTL/FLA] Mike Weaver to MTL in exchange for 5th round pick in 2015

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I don't have a lot of faith Bergevin has any idea how to build a team, but the one thing he definitely seems to have a talent for is finding decent opportunities to acquire role players. Weaver got off to a rough start but he's having a much better season than Murray or Bouillon.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Weaver was a great addition by Bergevin......those who don't think so simply don't have a clue about the game of hockey and likely knew nothing about him prior to the deal.

We now have a ton of depth to make a playoff run in a wide open Eastern Conference. I find it increasingly difficult to post on this board when there are only a handfull of knowledgeable poster's who are drowning in a sea of ignorance. I haven't loved all of Bergevin's moves but he really hit one out of the park Wednesday. Hopefully his biggest mistake (Therrien) won't screw this up with his bantam level coaching.

#43 : Scouting report by an insider (McKenzie i think) : Will do well blocking shots and all but count on 2-3 blunders/game.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Weaver was a great addition by Bergevin......those who don't think so simply don't have a clue about the game of hockey and likely knew nothing about him prior to the deal.

Dude, I've caught at least 20 Panthers games by accident (interested more in their opponent, only game on that night, whatever) over the past 2 or 3 seasons and am fully aware of who Mike Weaver is. You can't watch a Panthers game without seeing Weaver, especially on the (bad) penalty kill unit. He's small and makes a LOT of bad decisions with the puck. Doesn't let himself get pushed around, but can't do much about it in most cases. That's the same scouting report that has been around on him for years now ("fearless" for a small guy, too, if you want to add something nice).

Get excited about the number of minutes he contributed to some pretty horrible defensive Panthers squads if you like, but I'm definitely hoping he's not around past this season because he's bad; bad enough that I expect people to be missing Diaz before this season is finished. He's one of the smallest defenseman in the league (Bouillon, the shortest in the league) is one of only 5 defensemen who have played at least one game this year that are shorter than Weaver), and is tied with Doug Murray in career goals (Weaver has even played more games), and barely has more points. That what you're expecting people to take it easy on. :laugh:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Weaver should be a fill in only. At best he should. Be a #7 or #8 Guy. In other words, on a team who plans on competing deep into the playoffs, he should barely play, if at all. Same boat as Cubes, no better.

habitue*

Weaver should be a fill in only. At best he should. Be a #7 or #8 Guy. In other words, on a team who plans on competing deep into the playoffs, he should barely play, if at all. Same boat as Cubes, no better.

Guess what ? Gorges is injured. Better play Weaver, a right hand shot , than Bouillon.

Weaver had no time to practice before the Phoenix game.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dude, I've caught at least 20 Panthers games by accident (interested more in their opponent, only game on that night, whatever) over the past 2 or 3 seasons and am fully aware of who Mike Weaver is. You can't watch a Panthers game without seeing Weaver, especially on the (bad) penalty kill unit. He's small and makes a LOT of bad decisions with the puck. Doesn't let himself get pushed around, but can't do much about it in most cases. That's the same scouting report that has been around on him for years now ("fearless" for a small guy, too, if you want to add something nice).

Get excited about the number of minutes he contributed to some pretty horrible defensive Panthers squads if you like, but I'm definitely hoping he's not around past this season because he's bad; bad enough that I expect people to be missing Diaz before this season is finished. He's one of the smallest defenseman in the league (Bouillon, the shortest in the league) is one of only 5 defensemen who have played at least one game this year that are shorter than Weaver), and is tied with Doug Murray in career goals (Weaver has even played more games), and barely has more points. That what you're expecting people to take it easy on. :laugh:

Weaver is sound defensively.......that is a fact. He is fine as a 6/7 d-man which is what he was brought here to be. He has carved out a career as an undersized d-man with very limited offensive production solely due to his defensive acumen. If he was nearly as bad as you so desperately want to convince us then he would not be anywhere near full-time NHL employment.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

We now have a ton of depth to make a playoff run in a wide open Eastern Conference. I find it increasingly difficult to post on this board when there are only a handfull of knowledgeable poster's who are drowning in a sea of ignorance. I haven't loved all of Bergevin's moves but he really hit one out of the park Wednesday. Hopefully his biggest mistake (Therrien) won't screw this up with his bantam level coaching.

Weaver stinks, get over it. He fits right in with this stinky system we play.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I have seen enough of Weaver to conclude that he is the WORST defenseman on this team and arguably on par with Campoli. Slow and gets turned around easily. Always a step late to the puck. Makes a few clears and that is about it. And weak due to stature. An awful acquisition. Even Murray doesn't give up a completely clean path for skaters to get by him. Marleau destroyed Weaver 2 or 3 times at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->