Confirmed Trade: [MTL/EDM] Montoya to Edmonton for a conditional 4th

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The price isnt bad, but this was the best Edmonton could do for a backup?

I was under the impression Hutch and a couple others were available
Hutch probably has the same value on the trade market, but Winnipeg has no reason to trade him for a low pick with him playing so well in the minors for them. To entice Hutch out of the Jets we likely would have had to overpay with a 2nd rounder.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Aside from the Columbus game last year, Montoya was really solid.

He'll be a solid backup for Edmonton and given Montreal has depth in goal it made sense to trade him.

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McLellan says the plan is to get Brossoit playing time down in the minors to further his development. It wasn't going to happen in the NHL because Talbot will play a lot the rest of the season.

Aside from the Columbus game last year, Montoya was really solid.

He'll be a solid backup for Edmonton and given Montreal has depth in goal it made sense to trade him.
If you omit that game he had a 2.25 GAA and .924 sv% last season.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Didn't Holland ask for a 2nd/3rd (depending on salary retention) when the Oilers came calling for Mrazek?

Montoya for a 4th/5th with another year on his deal at 1/4 the salary was probably a safer bet... Probably also means that Mrazek goes for a similar return if/when the Wings decide to trade him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I suspect Chia is not done yet. He's got a job to save. Oil have all their picks so he can burn off some future for a desperate attempt at righting the ship. Still half a season to go, too early to call it quits.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Pretty good trade for both. But with Montreal getting the slight edge.

Oilers get a guy who was a pretty solid backup the two previous seasons and is likely an upgrade over Brossoit. He's also affordably priced for next season as well.

Montreal gets an extra pick, saves some cap space by clearing Montoya and going with $700k of Niemi for the remainder of this season. They also avoid having to disrupt their 3-headed goalie monster in Laval, or find a home for Montoya if he had eventually gotten waived and cleared. The move also pretty much pencils in Lindgren to get the #2 spot next year.

As far as the payment by Chiarelli, I wonder if he needed to outbid the Panthers, who were/are supposedly also in the market for a goalie. Or he didn't want to take his chances with waivers, where the Sabres might have tried to get a free upgrade over Chad Johnson...

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Are you into online divinatory arts or something? Getting "mad" over this is hilarious. :laugh:

On a relative basis, Montoya filled a need. A lot of Oiler fans admitted as much, wishing it had happened earlier. So Chiarelli is risking what exactly. More than likely, this is the best the market offered without paying more, at this time of year. Both teams got what they were after, no one is "winning" much, really. Just a minor deal that most GMs would entertain in a situation of need.

Why are we arguing again :laugh:

TBH I totally agree I was trying to be funny on an internet forum, that's all

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I suspect Chia is not done yet. He's got a job to save. Oil have all their picks so he can burn off some future for a desperate attempt at righting the ship. Still half a season to go, too early to call it quits.
Chiarelli has at least one coach firing in his gun before he has to start fearing for his job I think.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Too bad his name wasn't Ed.

Ed Montoya is only a few letters away from the name of the city he was just traded to.

Reactions: THall4

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Here is a list of all the 5th round picks going back. Anyone care to guess how many actual NHL players there are? I don't know because I never really looked at the list.......I don't care lol

Draft 2018

The Oilers pretty much got Montoya for nothing, and yet people say that Edmonton lost the trade.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Here is a list of all the 5th round picks going back. Anyone care to guess how many actual NHL players there are? I don't know because I never really looked at the list.......I don't care lol

Draft 2018

The Oilers pretty much got Montoya for nothing, and yet people say that Edmonton lost the trade.
If you simply focus on Montréal, they've actually done a decent job with their 5th-round picks.

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
It's better than a kick in the plums, but that's about it. We needed back up that sucked less than brossoit. A 5th round pick isnt much to give up.

Sounds like both sides should be happy then?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Draft 2018

comes down to perspective

the Oilers have signed their 4th and 5th rounder from last year and some think they are good players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad