Confirmed with Link: [MTL/DAL] Habs Acquire Jordie Benn for Pateryn and a 4th

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
They needed top 6 help, they went and got Oshie.

They needed a 3C, they went and got Eller.

They needed help on the blue line, they went and got Shattenkirk.

They needed PO players, they went and got Williams.

Washington drafted their core with a slew of top picks overall, after being one of the worst teams in the league for so long. It's easy to add players when you have a core like that.

Would you like us to finish at the bottom 5 years in a row? Because that has to happen before you can realistically compare our situation to the Penguins, Capitals, Kings, and now the Leafs.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I like everything about the roster he's assembled, and the coach, except we're one forward at the level of Pacioretty, Radulov, and Galchenyuk, away from being unquestionably elite.

The problem is everyone wants/needs another player like that (except the Capitals, Penguins, and Blackhawks) and they're rarely available.

Are you happy with Beaulieu in our top 4? Jordie Benn is playing great and like a #4 but in reality he isn't one....neither are.

IMO our most pressing need this off-season will be a #3 or 4. Defense wins cups more often than offense...I'm fine with being a 'boring' team winning 2-1 to every game.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Washington drafted their core with a slew of top picks overall, after being one of the worst teams in the league for so long. It's easy to add players when you have a core like that.

Would you like us to finish at the bottom 5 years in a row? Because that has to happen before you can realistically compare our situation to the Penguins, Capitals, Kings, and now the Leafs.

We had Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban and Price. With a supporting cast of Gallagher, Plekanec, Petry, Markov That's a pretty good core that can turn into a cup winning in.

We don't need to finish dead last and get a generational talent to be good...look at LA, Boston, and Chicago. They drafted a good core (like us) only they filled their holes instead of adding to their bottom 6 or bottom pairing.

MB's quick fix to any missing hold is adding a 3rd or 4th liner with character or a bottom pairing defenseman with character.

He added Radulov, that's a good start. Now let's add another top 6 or top 4 and forget about the depth players. Our window is now.

Last edited:

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We had Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban and Price. With a supporting cast of Gallagher, Plekanec, Petry, Markov That's a pretty good core that can turn into a cup winning in.

We don't need to finish dead last and get a generational talent to be good...look at LA, Boston, and Chicago. They drafted a good core (like us) only they filled their holes instead of adding to their bottom 6 or bottom pairing.

MB's quick fix to any missing hold is adding a 3rd or 4th liner with character or a bottom pairing defenseman with character.

He added Radulov, that's a good start. Now let's add another top 6 or top 4 and forget about the depth players. Our window is now.

Chicago got Kane at #1 and Toews at #3. Boston got Seguin at #2 (which they got for Kessel who was picked at #5). LA got Doughty at #2.

Yess you can get lucky and hit later in the draft, and yes you can build in different ways, but great players, generational talent type players, are more likely than not, picked early in the draft.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
When the Habs acquired Benn I read lots of posts from Stars fans saying how terrible this guy was defensively. I wonder what these guys are watching down there? They said the same when MB acquired Goncher from them as well and he didn't look nearly as bad as they said he was. :dunno:

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Heh..

We didn't need a 3C, we had Eller.
We did need a 1C, and we got no one.

We did need a top 6 RW, we got Radulov (and tried about 8 times before being succesful)

We needed a better defense and its better now, but our defense was fine with Subban.

Good thing Byron, Danault and Lekhonen exceeded expectations.

WE needed a 3C. no one was happy with Eller in spite of his talent and his 4m cap hit. Danault is all that and more and his cap hit is ridiculous

We needed better defense in spite of what you say and we improved immensely with Benn and Weber. sure it was Fine with subban of course it was. but our defense got better. total additions not just subban v weber. Petry Benn and Weber have stabilized our corps.

We needed top 6 scoring and we got radulov. i dont care about the pastand how many tries it took. you didnt bring up the past when wsh traded forsberg for erat that was horribad. so they signed oshie to make up for it kinda thing.

we needed size and we got bigger. Ott and King add depth and grit and size.

Why do you bring up positives for the other teams but dont for ours.

wsh needed a #1 D for 10 years. and they have failed to get one.

Lehkonen Byron are indeed bonuses.. but isnt it the same with chicago and brandon saad. they drafted him and he played at 20 and tore it up.

how is it any different for us.. we got lucky? other teams dont?

pacioretty, subban, gallagher, plekanec, markov and price is a great foundation to inherit.we still have 2 out of the 3. we added top 6 players to them. but its not like we inherited kane toews hossa panarin kieth seabrook and Co.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

petry and galchenyuk were acquired by Bergevin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When the Habs acquired Benn I read lots of posts from Stars fans saying how terrible this guy was defensively. I wonder what these guys are watching down there? They said the same when MB acquired Goncher from them as well and he didn't look nearly as bad as they said he was. :dunno:

Bergevin needs to go back to the well and pry another D from them -- they're oozing Ds and they don't have place for all of them.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
there are a lot of players we could get from western teams

i would have liked lowry from the jets. Dwight king blows

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I think it's safe to say that Benn is a top 4 defenseman. A very underrated part of his game is his first pass. I've seen at least 4-5 great zone exits from him this series. I think he has to be our third defenseman protected in the expansion draft. With Sergachev coming next season on the left side, we likely also have to trade Beaulieu in the off-season, and likely means the end of Emelin too. It seems that the sixth defenseman is the only spot left to fill and we have plenty of guys for that, i.e. Davidson if we can sneak him through the draft.

Now, what to do with Plekanec because we have to pay Rads this summer. Pleks, Beau and Emelin give us a lot of cashish to play with. But that's for the off-season to resolve.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
petry and galchenyuk were acquired by Bergevin

He inherited that pick...but that's besides the point. I'm focusing more on his acquisitions, not his draft. my point was, the only permanent top line/pairing acquisition he's made since he's been here for ~5 years is Petry. Maybe Radulov if we keep him.

Not good enough.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I think it's safe to say that Benn is a top 4 defenseman. A very underrated part of his game is his first pass. I've seen at least 4-5 great zone exits from him this series. I think he has to be our third defenseman protected in the expansion draft. With Sergachev coming next season on the left side, we likely also have to trade Beaulieu in the off-season, and likely means the end of Emelin too. It seems that the sixth defenseman is the only spot left to fill and we have plenty of guys for that, i.e. Davidson if we can sneak him through the draft.

Now, what to do with Plekanec because we have to pay Rads this summer. Pleks, Beau and Emelin give us a lot of cashish to play with. But that's for the off-season to resolve.

I agree, Benn is one of the best bargains in the league and has to be protected.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
He inherited that pick...but that's besides the point. I'm focusing more on his acquisitions, not his draft. my point was, the only permanent top line/pairing acquisition he's made since he's been here for ~5 years is Petry. Maybe Radulov if we keep him.

Not good enough.

fine lets not count chucky. he was inherited. and everyone would have chosen chucky. if we ever miss a player in the draft though and he get spicked later we cant complain about it either.

he acquired shaw, danault, petry , radulov, weber, benn

why would he acquire another top line C if we have galchenyuk whom he 'inherited'

we have plek up until last year we had eller as well.

If chucky was who he was before his injury and was our top line C at almost a PPG( which i believe was the plan prior to his injury) wouldnt that TOP C spot have been taken care of?

I still think Chucky will end up there... but the plan was for that all along.

Plek had 54 points last season and Danault is a perfect 3C

why would he go out and acquire another C if the plan was to have chucky plek and danault at center as 1-2-3 respectively.

byron 22 goals

lehkonen 18 goals (lets not count him cuz we can only trade for talent)

shaw and Radulov are all acquisitions that he made the last two seasons before that he still had to get rid of players that he also 'inherited'

gomez, bourque, gionta, diaz, bouillon, eric cole, travis Moen and josh gorges all had heavy salaries thus not making it easy to get rid of.

the roster right now, is full of MB players. and we are competing. Would it be nice to have a player like Duchene instead of Plek as 2nd C and have chucky as first? ya probably.

but it is easier said then done

only gallagher patches and plek are in the top 9 and were habs players before he was hired..

Mike Blunden RW R
27 Rene Bourque LW L
30 Peter Budaj G L
17 Chris Campoli D L
72 Erik Cole RW L
52 Mathieu Darche LW
51 David Desharnais C
61 Raphael Diaz D
81 Lars Eller C
74 Alexei Emelin D
21 Brian Gionta (C)
11 Scott Gomez C
26 Josh Gorges D
22 Tomas Kaberle D
79 Andrei Markov (A) D
32 Travis Moen LW
15 Petteri Nokelainen C
67 Max Pacioretty LW
14 Tomas Plekanec C
31 Carey Price G
25 Brad Staubitz RW
76 P. K. Subban D
68 Yannick Weber D
53 Ryan White

this was our team the day MB was hired.

damn..

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Have you seen their defence? They were just expecting too much out of guys that should not be in the roles that they were in. We wouldn't necessarily be happy with Benn as a #2 or #3.

Plus it's less of a toll to be a Habs defenceman, just force guys outside to shoot on the best goalie in the world. Dallas doesn't have that luxury. They have goalies that probably give rebounds direct to opponents so the defencemen are blamed for not clearing the puck. There could be a bunch of reasons.

bobmoor

Nov 12, 2015
The Moon

Chicago had four years drafting in the top 10 prior to 2010. They got Toews and Kane in consecutive years drafting 3rd and 1st overall. They whiffed on Cam Barker and Jack Skille (3rd and 7th respectively).

Los Angeles isn't as straightforward but they got Doughty and Schenn -whom they traded for Richards- from sucking. Earlier they got Kopitar with the 11th pick.

Montreal only had one pick in this range when they picked Price at 5th.

They had less holes to fill.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I'm a huge Sergachev fan. But there's really no point rushing him. I want him to become a great two way defender, like Shea Weber or McDonagh defensively, but with more offensive flair. That will take time to develop.

I would trade Beaulieu not to make room for Sergachev, but because I don't want to lose him in the expansion draft and I'd rather have Benn. But if Beaulieu can't fetch a decent return, it becomes a head scratcher. I really don't want to lose Benn. If we go to the conference finals, he's going to get a lot of exposure and I would think convince Las Vegas to take him, if only for what young assets they can get for him in a trade.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
fine lets not count chucky. he was inherited. and everyone would have chosen chucky. if we ever miss a player in the draft though and he get spicked later we cant complain about it either.

he acquired shaw, danault, petry , radulov, weber, benn

why would he acquire another top line C if we have galchenyuk whom he 'inherited'

we have plek up until last year we had eller as well.

If chucky was who he was before his injury and was our top line C at almost a PPG( which i believe was the plan prior to his injury) wouldnt that TOP C spot have been taken care of?

I still think Chucky will end up there... but the plan was for that all along.

Plek had 54 points last season and Danault is a perfect 3C

why would he go out and acquire another C if the plan was to have chucky plek and danault at center as 1-2-3 respectively.

byron 22 goals

lehkonen 18 goals (lets not count him cuz we can only trade for talent)

shaw and Radulov are all acquisitions that he made the last two seasons before that he still had to get rid of players that he also 'inherited'

gomez, bourque, gionta, diaz, bouillon, eric cole, travis Moen and josh gorges all had heavy salaries thus not making it easy to get rid of.

the roster right now, is full of MB players. and we are competing. Would it be nice to have a player like Duchene instead of Plek as 2nd C and have chucky as first? ya probably.

but it is easier said then done

only gallagher patches and plek are in the top 9 and were habs players before he was hired..

Mike Blunden RW R
27 Rene Bourque LW L
30 Peter Budaj G L
17 Chris Campoli D L
72 Erik Cole RW L
52 Mathieu Darche LW
51 David Desharnais C
61 Raphael Diaz D
81 Lars Eller C
74 Alexei Emelin D
21 Brian Gionta (C)
11 Scott Gomez C
26 Josh Gorges D
22 Tomas Kaberle D
79 Andrei Markov (A) D
32 Travis Moen LW
15 Petteri Nokelainen C
67 Max Pacioretty LW
14 Tomas Plekanec C
31 Carey Price G
25 Brad Staubitz RW
76 P. K. Subban D
68 Yannick Weber D
53 Ryan White

this was our team the day MB was hired.

damn..

Lol

According to some that was a cup winning roster right there.

Wonder how many posters said the day MB was hired that the jabs would win a cup within 2 or 3 years.

I remember back then the habs were set for a rebuild not winning its division.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Chicago got Kane at #1 and Toews at #3. Boston got Seguin at #2 (which they got for Kessel who was picked at #5). LA got Doughty at #2.

Yess you can get lucky and hit later in the draft, and yes you can build in different ways, but great players, generational talent type players, are more likely than not, picked early in the draft.

Montreal got Galchenyuk at #3 and Price at #5.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I was so wrong about Benn :laugh: He's been great. I find he's a misleading player in that he seems so calm with the puck (surprisingly) and he'll have a guy coming at him and unlike others who seem to panic he takes his time and makes the smart play most of the time. I'm sure Dallas fans didn't like what they saw but that could have more to do with overall team defense than Benn. We often get players that teams fans say suck only for them to blossom here. Byron is the exception though, I heard a few flames fans even prior to him performing well here who were baffled by their managements stupid move :laugh:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
They needed top 6 help, they went and got Oshie.

They needed a 3C, they went and got Eller.

They needed help on the blue line, they went and got Shattenkirk.

They needed PO players, they went and got Williams.

They went to the playoffs.....and got eliminated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad