Confirmed with Link: [MTL/DAL] Habs Acquire Jordie Benn for Pateryn and a 4th

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
YOu realize they dont have to protect Benn right? I mean he is 30 and at a bargain deal but his trade value around the league is a 4th? maybe a 3rd? He is a great bottom pairing D and will likely not get taken and should he the habs can always strike a deal with VGK to get him back for said draft value.

BEaulieu although not reaching his potential is still an asset to this team regardless of what some here on HF think. He is 24 and just came off a 30 point season as a D man who ranked 4th amongst Dmen on the team in PP TOI.

IF he had regular minutes on the PP he would easily be a 35-45 point dman.

I say they protect Weber, Petry and Beaulieu

up front they protect hudon as the 7th forward.

and I believe VGK will slect either JDLR or emelin or Plekanec

Thank you! Some sanity injected into the thread. And I do really like Benn and think the trade to acquire him was a slam dunk win for MB. But Beaulieu, for all his shortcomings, is a significantly better asset. If left unprotected, he would almost 100% be taken in the expansion draft, even if McPhee just takes him to flip to another team for a pick or similar asset.

Weber/Petry/Beaulieu should/will be the 3 dmen protted, barring a trade.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm an MB hater, he's pretty ****ing stupid. But this was a good trade by him.

I like everything about the roster he's assembled, and the coach, except we're one forward at the level of Pacioretty, Radulov, and Galchenyuk, away from being unquestionably elite.

The problem is everyone wants/needs another player like that (except the Capitals, Penguins, and Blackhawks) and they're rarely available.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like everything about the roster he's assembled, and the coach, except we're one forward at the level of Pacioretty, Radulov, and Galchenyuk, away from being unquestionably elite.

The problem is everyone wants/needs another player like that (except the Capitals, Penguins, and Blackhawks) and they're rarely available.

Those three teams actually went out and acquired them. Oshie, Kessel, Hossa, Panarin, Guentzel

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Those three teams actually went out and acquired them. Oshie, Kessel, Hossa, Panarin, Guentzel

And Bergevin went out and acquired Radulov. He just wasn't as lucky with inheriting Crosby, Kane, Malkin, Toews, Ovi, Backstrom like those teams.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And Bergevin went out and acquired Radulov. He just wasn't as lucky with inheriting Crosby, Kane, Malkin, Toews, Ovi, Backstrom like those teams.

And those teams werent as lucky to inherit the best goaltender on the planet.

The problem is that we are missing a top 6 center and he didnt address it. When those top team were missing a piece, they made it happen.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

The problem is that we are missing a top 6 center and he didnt address it. When those top team were missing a piece, they made it happen.

Washington didn't add their missing piece yet, and please, don't pass Shattenkirk as a #1 D...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I want the Islanders of the good old days where they trade away their superstars for nothing :cry:

We want Tavares clap clap....clap clap clap

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB

I'm really surprised with how well Plekanec has been in these first three games (mainly the last two). We'll see if he can continue, but he's definitely been a pleasant surprise with Byron and Gallagher on that second line. No where near worth $6M, but better than he was last year and previously this year.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Minnesota went all in and got the guy that everyone wanted and yet here they sit down 3-0 and likely done, there are no guarantees that everything clicks and that team was worse after that trade and they basically backed into the playoffs and have to be one of the biggest disappointments of the playoffs. I expect Boudreau to be fired.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Aside from getting Benn at the deadline, the best move by all teams so far was getting rid of Desharnais. Excellent decision

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
YOu realize they dont have to protect Benn right? I mean he is 30 and at a bargain deal but his trade value around the league is a 4th? maybe a 3rd? He is a great bottom pairing D and will likely not get taken and should he the habs can always strike a deal with VGK to get him back for said draft value.

BEaulieu although not reaching his potential is still an asset to this team regardless of what some here on HF think. He is 24 and just came off a 30 point season as a D man who ranked 4th amongst Dmen on the team in PP TOI.

IF he had regular minutes on the PP he would easily be a 35-45 point dman.

I say they protect Weber, Petry and Beaulieu

up front they protect hudon as the 7th forward.

and I believe VGK will slect either JDLR or emelin or Plekanec

120% agree.

LV might be interested in Davidson is he has good playoffs before Emelin returns.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
120% agree.

LV might be interested in Davidson is he has good playoffs before Emelin returns.

Im fairly certain that if Plek continues his play VGK would be nuts not to select him if available. his contract is up at end of next season and will def return major package a la Vermette/Hanzal at next years TDL

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Im fairly certain that if Plek continues his play VGK would be nuts not to select him if available. his contract is up at end of next season and will def return major package a la Vermette/Hanzal at next years TDL

Plekanec can fetch a 1st and maybe a suspect at the deadline if he has a good season next year and continue to have good playoffs that's for sure.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you! Some sanity injected into the thread. And I do really like Benn and think the trade to acquire him was a slam dunk win for MB. But Beaulieu, for all his shortcomings, is a significantly better asset. If left unprotected, he would almost 100% be taken in the expansion draft, even if McPhee just takes him to flip to another team for a pick or similar asset.

Weber/Petry/Beaulieu should/will be the 3 dmen protted, barring a trade.

I completely, agree 100%, 100mph. Do you know how hard it is to develop an offensive d-man. Sergachev is not a slam dunk (great tools but we haven't seen much at the NHL level) same goes for Mete. Juulsen and Lernout will be in the Benn (and we hope Weber) moulds. LV could take Davidson or Benn (if they want a dman).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Washington didn't add their missing piece yet, and please, don't pass Shattenkirk as a #1 D...

They needed top 6 help, they went and got Oshie.

They needed a 3C, they went and got Eller.

They needed help on the blue line, they went and got Shattenkirk.

They needed PO players, they went and got Williams.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

They have goalies that are good enough and there's a bigger difference between a guy like Crosby or Backstrom and Galchenyuk than between Price and Murray or Price and Holtby

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

An impressive rebuttal !

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

We needed a 3C we got Danault

We needed top 6 player we got Radulov

We need stability on D we got Benn and Weber

We needed playoff performers we got Shaw and King

We needed to get bigger we got KING marty Ott and Benn

We needed a back up goalie we got montoya

we needed to get rid of Desharnais we got a #6 D man for him after everyone int he world agreed he had near Zero Value.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We needed a 3C we got Danault

We needed top 6 player we got Radulov

We need stability on D we got Benn and Weber

We needed playoff performers we got Shaw and King

We needed to get bigger we got KING marty Ott and Benn

We needed a back up goalie we got montoya

we needed to get rid of Desharnais we got a #6 D man for him after everyone int he world agreed he had near Zero Value.

Heh..

We didn't need a 3C, we had Eller.
We did need a 1C, and we got no one.

We did need a top 6 RW, we got Radulov (and tried about 8 times before being succesful)

We needed a better defense and its better now, but our defense was fine with Subban.

Good thing Byron, Danault and Lekhonen exceeded expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->