Proposal: MTL - COL

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If EJ retires he'll free up 6M in cap and if EJ retiers it makes no sense to send Girard out. He has a good contract and is a very good DMan with well known shortcomings, but he can still do good against most teams even in playoffs. Avs don't need to panick about 2C. Every time MacK has gone down Rantanen has been put up as a 1C and has been producing more than with MacK. Last game for whatever reason Bednar put him at wing with JT at center and the team scored 0 goals. Bednar's decisions are quite puzzling sometimes.
Bo Horvat would be optimal solution and Avs can afford him at deadline/next summer.

1. EJ doesn't need to retire, his contract is up this summer.
2. EJ's entire cap hit will cover MacKinnon's raise alone.

The Avs are banking enough cap to cover an aquired 2C at the deadline. But going into next season, the Avs will lose one of their LHD this summer if they want to resolve the 2C position. There's no way around it. Extending Manson meant one of the LHD will need to go.

I'd bet heavy money it's Girard.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
1. EJ doesn't need to retire, his contract is up this summer.
2. EJ's entire cap hit will cover MacKinnon's raise alone.

The Avs are banking enough cap to cover an aquired 2C at the deadline. But going into next season, the Avs will lose one of their LHD this summer if they want to resolve the 2C position. There's no way aroun

JT Compher will be out of the books next summer and it gives enough Cap room to sign Bo Horvat or whoever is available. I'd still think Rantanen as a 2C would be the best solution. He just needs to get better in faceoffs, but being the strong big man he is, he can do it with Landy giving some practice in it. As a 2C his shortcomings in defense are not that critical, when MacK is taking on the best lines of the other team.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
It’s not that wide a gap. Guhle is very very good but Newhook is also trending to be a staple second line forward. The Habs don’t have a single non in the NHL prospect I’d trade for him one for one.

This isn’t some Podkolzin situation where he’s got zero goals this season. Or a Tomasino situation where he’s in the AHL.

Newhook played 17 minutes last night vs the NYIs. He scored the game winning goal vs Nashville earlier this week. He’s got 7 goals on his last 21 games. He’s super fast. He’s defensively responsible. He does PP. he can Pk. He can take faceoffs. Kid can really play.

He’s more valued than Kidney, Barron, Mailloux, Farrell, Roy or Mesar in a one for one swap.

And I’m bullish on the Habs farm system. It’s a good one. I’m not diminishing your prospects. Newhook is a stud.
Guhle is younger and already outscoring Newhook in hes first NHL season has a dman..... and even if you wanna take away the points Kaiden is constantly our best def at 20 years old that kid is the real deal

I like Newhook and i agree that Monahan would never return him in a trade but Guhle is a better prospect then Alex and i dont think its close

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Guhle is younger and already outscoring Newhook in hes first NHL season has a dman..... and even if you wanna take away the points Kaiden is constantly our best def at 20 years old that kid is the real deal

I like Newhook and i agree that Monahan would never return him in a trade but Guhle is a better prospect then Alex and i dont think its close
Guhle is a better prospect than Newhook. I agree. He’s not outscoring Newhook. He’s got more assists but Newhook has 7 to 1 goals to Guhle. Points are an awful way to compare forwards to defenders but goals matter more than assists.

But Newhook is underrated around here. His season started very poorly but he’s really figuring it out now.

People were comparing him to Krebs unfavorably. That’s crazy. Newhook is definitely better than Krebs. Newhook is closer to Jarvis and Wyatt Johnson. You’ll notice Newhook tonight. He’ll get a few scoring chances. He’ll be impactful.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
If you want value for Girard and the futures are less in the Horvat trade as a result, that won't work. You would have to be willing to accept that Girard goes for little credit value in that sign/trade. Or try to trade Girard somewhere else but that team likely tries to send a contract back.

Horvat, ROR, Toews, Monahan. Who else are we forgetting? Larkin but I don't think he leaves the Jets. PLD? I don't think the Jets trade him while in a playoff spot.

I think there's teams out there that would take Girard without sending a contract back, but the return wouldn't be that great.

Girard play and value are on a downtrend since a few years.

I think teams like Zona, Anaheim or Detroit would be willing to take him and his contract, as they're 3 of the few teams with cap space plus they're in a situation where they'd be willing to take a flyer on a youngish talented defenseman.

But the return would be like a mid/late 2nd and a b/c prospect.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the habs forwards that likely are available aren't that impressive. i dont really see a fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad