Aug 9, 2011
To Montreal:
8th overall
27th overall
Anthony Duclair
Artem Anisimov

To Chicago:
3rd overall

1. Montreal can safely draft Kotkaniemi at 8th, while gathering other assets. I believe the draft would play out like this:

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (CAR)
3. Zadina (CHI)
4. Hughes (OTT)
5. Tkachuk/Wahlstrom (ARI)
6. Boqvist/Wahlstrom (DET)
7. Dobson/Boqvist (VAN)
8. Kotkaniemi (MTL)

2. Montreal adds another pick in the first round, where theres still tons of quality players available.

3. Anthony Duclair, the Quebec native - may have some untapped upside, that could be unleashed playing in his home province, and re-united with Max Domi.

4. Artem Anisimov adds a veteran to their C position, to help shelter Kotkaniemi (if he plays right away!). He also may work VERY WELL with Domi and Duclair, as they had their best season with large two-way player Martin Hanzal.

Assuming Plekanec returns..

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Domi-Anisimov-Duclair
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

5. Chicago adds an IMPACT winger, which is much needed for this franchise, to complement Schmaltz, Debrincat, and Kane. It also frees up cap for Chicago to make a push for someone like John Carlson or John Tavares.

Zadina - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - Debrincat
Sikura - Edjsell - Hinostroza
Jurco - Kampf - Hayden

*Chicago would not be done here, and likely makes a splash in Free Agency.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't think that MTL would want to risk that Kotkaniemi is gone.

That being said that's a steep price for CHI to move up especially with the way the prospects from 3-9 seem to be somewhat in the same tier

Reactions: bobbydigital

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I actually don’t think this is that far off, but Stan should ask for our 2nd back from the Danault trade. Columbus only offered a 3rd for Anisimov and Duclair probably has little value. The 27th is not a huge price to move up and secure a top line winger.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
That is the biggest overpayment I have ever seen to move up 5 draft spots for a single pick that isnt the no.1 or no.2 OA

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
To Montreal:
8th overall
27th overall
Anthony Duclair
Artem Anisimov

To Chicago:
3rd overall

1. Montreal can safely draft Kotkaniemi at 8th, while gathering other assets. I believe the draft would play out like this:

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (CAR)
3. Zadina (CHI)
4. Hughes (OTT)
5. Tkachuk/Wahlstrom (ARI)
6. Boqvist/Wahlstrom (DET)
7. Dobson/Boqvist (VAN)
8. Kotkaniemi (MTL)

2. Montreal adds another pick in the first round, where theres still tons of quality players available.

3. Anthony Duclair, the Quebec native - may have some untapped upside, that could be unleashed playing in his home province, and re-united with Max Domi.

4. Artem Anisimov adds a veteran to their C position, to help shelter Kotkaniemi (if he plays right away!). He also may work VERY WELL with Domi and Duclair, as they had their best season with large two-way player Martin Hanzal.

Assuming Plekanec returns..

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Domi-Anisimov-Duclair
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

5. Chicago adds an IMPACT winger, which is much needed for this franchise, to complement Schmaltz, Debrincat, and Kane. It also frees up cap for Chicago to make a push for someone like John Carlson or John Tavares.

Zadina - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - Debrincat
Sikura - Edjsell - Hinostroza
Jurco - Kampf - Hayden

*Chicago would not be done here, and likely makes a splash in Free Agency.
Big no from Montreal.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Chicago says no.

And, frankly, it is so utterly stupid for MTL to be fixated on positional needs when your draft pick is so high. Just take the overwhelming consensus and worry about everything else later. MTL needs quality.

The Kotkaniemi fixation is the exact logic that got us Zacha instead of Provorov and Werenski. I like Zacha a lot, and I think he has plenty of upside and potential, but he was selected because our D pipeline at the time looked good and we needed forwards. Three short years later — enter Taylor Hall, Marcus Johansson, Nico Hischier, hitting on Wood/Bratt — our needs did a 180 and some of our fans are calling for a do-over.

Take the BPA.

Reactions: DRW204

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Biggest issues:
-Too much from Chi just to move up 5 spots
-It is very likely that Kotkaniemi is gone by 8.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Chicago says no on value, Montreal says no because they really like Kotkaniemi and they should not be playing such a risky game, expecting him to still be there at #8.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Chicago says no on value, Montreal says no because they really like Kotkaniemi and they should not be playing such a risky game, expecting him to still be there at #8.
but if he's there we take him, if he's not we select another winger ( hopefully undersized) because the plan is

1) corner market on small or one dimensional wingers above all other needs
2) ????????
3) profit!

Reactions: tgo0

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Did not realize Duclair and Anisimov had much value. On their, own I've seen teams offer a 3rd/2nd and a 2nd respectively.

Maybe an add on Montreal's end I suppose.

*I am a Chicago fan, and see no future here with Duclair, and AA needs to go eventually.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Honestly i have no interest in either Anisimov or Duclair, so this is like basically moving #3 for #8 + #27 which is an easy no.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Great offer for both sides. I'll run it by the scouting dept and cap experts but I like it. I know hf experts say every player on earth is either untouchable or has "negative value" but I think we can make this work regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad