Post-Game Talk: MTL @ Caps 7pm / 10-7-17 / Home Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about but just in case, keep it on topic.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Denneny, Malone and one other player had back-to-back hat tricks on the first two games of the season. The only other player to do it is Ovechkin, 100 years later. Now, they didn't have 4 goal games, so Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history to score 7 goals in the first 2 games of the season.

He's on fuego.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's a fun start. But yeah, way too soon to be writing about how they are versus last year.

MaJo would have been a huge adder to the 3rd line w Eller. Expensive, but important. Alzner on the bottom pair w Djoos or Bowey would have been really huge.

Sorry but Marge continuing with the Caps meant no Kuzy on PP one, that alone was enough reason to move him. Well that and the money will soon be getting.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I was watching the recap last night on youtube and had tears!
After Orpik takes out Carlson and Kuznetsov, Carlson is hustling to get back in position and Kuzy gives him a shove and so he goes crashing into Holtby. Kuzy starts playing goalie and saves a goal while a stick-less Holtby is trying to get back into the net. He finally makes a glove save in relief. I LOVE THIS TEAM! :dunce:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
How is Jakub Vrana looking? Is he the real deal holyfield?

I think he's looked okay. It's hard to gauge him when the other two guys are molten hot right now, I think my only issue so far with him has been he seems way to amped up and needs to settle down some.

He's flashed some major skill though, so that's encouraging.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
It really was a great moment watching the player intros and seeing they gave him a little special attention.

I was just happy to see him as a +1 on the ice when DSP hit the puck and it went in.
My friends and I were joking it would be totally the Aussie way if the puck had just tapped the back of him and he got credited, then they changed the goal to him.

Hockey as my number one sport, this was just a great day all round.

I know my Devils are up against the Capitals in a few days, but other than that, I will have to just support Nathan and the Caps.

Also, seriously, Ovi is a freak. I really want him to get a cup before he retires.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It really was a great moment watching the player intros and seeing they gave him a little special attention.

I was just happy to see him as a +1 on the ice when DSP hit the puck and it went in.
My friends and I were joking it would be totally the Aussie way if the puck had just tapped the back of him and he got credited, then they changed the goal to him.

I know my Devils are up against the Capitals in a few days, but other than that, I will have to just support Nathan and the Caps.

Also, seriously, Ovi is a freak. I really want him to get a cup before he retires.

There's not much of a rivalry between the Devils and the Capitals despite being in the same division. You're more than welcome to jump on our bandwagon anytime :)

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia

how do you think i feel.. im an 18 year Caps fan from OZ

:P

i needed this. i have been so jaded since the playoffs.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In a word. No. When the games count, you honestly believe that Vrana is going to have as much poise and clutch and leadership as Williams? Smith-Pelly is as solid as Winnik? Chorney and Ness/Djoos are not competitive with Orpik/Schmidt. Not close.

I can buy that Vrana is an improvement over Sanford. Not Williams or Johansson. Sorry. Yes, Shattenkirk was dead weight. He was awful. But But while I love Orpik, do you really think he is a better 2LD than Alzner?

Btw. Might be we have season the high point of the season.

I never said JDub was deadweight, he was crafty and effective but still clearly a byproduct of Kuzy last year, though he was reliable and stable and all. Kind of like Knuble in his 2nd year here. And I guess it was impossible for Jake Guentzel to have a monster clutch playoffs last year since he was a rookie and not a poised vet like Justin Williams.

Shattenkirk, Alzner (last year's), Johansson and Winnik were my dead weight in the sense that they did not make much of the amount of ice time they got. Orpik to Alzner right now is honestly minimal difference. Neither of them are much good except on the PK where they're roughly the same. I had high hopes for Alzner as a new age Scott Hannan but it seems he's following the same career arc too. Losing Johansson is addition by subtraction because 92 (or 8) gets that puck now and does more with it. Vrana might not be a pure improvement over Johansson but he could be an improvement for his line. No one would say Taylor Hall is a bad player but McDavid played noticeably better without him than with him. Williams would still probably be good for our 3rd line but I could see Vrana being a better fit than him as well if he's faster and better going tape to tape. Williams has very average speed now. He'd need to maintain and possibly improve his start but he could be Pastrnak lite.

Schmidt was a massive loss. I have my money on him becoming as good as any of our D this year and not having him will hurt us as much as any team's expansion loss. I was a proponent of 4-4-1 or making a deal for that very reason from the beginning.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It's easy to say now that 4 4 1 was the better option. I think GMBM really thought that Vegas would choose Gruby.
But who could predict how GmGM would run the GK. I am sure he doesn't know what he's doing himself right now, by watching Schipachev and Theodore situation

Reactions: RandyHolt

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I was watching the recap last night on youtube and had tears!
After Orpik takes out Carlson and Kuznetsov, Carlson is hustling to get back in position and Kuzy gives him a shove and so he goes crashing into Holtby. Kuzy starts playing goalie and saves a goal while a stick-less Holtby is trying to get back into the net. He finally makes a glove save in relief. I LOVE THIS TEAM! :dunce:

Kuzy's save was amazing. I loved that moment. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->