Proposal: MTL-BUF (yes yes, ROR related)

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
The value seems fair but I dont think that the Sabres do this due to their window

They'd probably counter with Mete, Protected 2019-1st (2020), Juulsen

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Like the last thread, nothing involving Pacioretty or guys like Petry make any sense for the Sabres. We're not trading the best player in this trade for less than a 1st, and futures. The Sabres are in a rebuild and were the WORST team in hockey last year. We trade you an in prime better two way player for a 29 year old with one year of term left who could walk and a 30 year old defensemen who while above average won't get us in the playoffs next year. This trade offer is atrocious. The Sabres aren't helping Bergevin from his own idiocy.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
The value seems fair but I dont think that the Sabres do this due to their window

They'd probably counter with Mete, Protected 2019-1st (2020), Juulsen

Mete at the center of a deal makes sense, but Buffalo does not need both he and Juulsen in the same trade offer. This is still light. Honestly, there isn't much to agree to between these two teams. Buffalo is already further along in their rebuild process and Montreal is about to enter one.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
ROR to Montreal isn't happening, so it's a moot conversation.
Reinhart stepped in nicely production wise when Eichel went down, therefore, Sam is developing nicely.
Eichel himself will finally be getting wingers this year, at least one anyways, so he can finally move away from playing with guys like Pommers.

Buffalo has no need to move Ryan O'Reilly unless it's an overpayment. Quantity for quality isn't going to get it done. Buffalo doesn't need more draft picks, even high ones. They need NHL experienced talent.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
If what the Sabres need most is a premium two-way LW, why not use the much younger ROR at LW?

It just doesn’t make sense from buffalo’s perspective. They get so much older. And you saying they will be able to compete now doesn’t make it true.
Much younger?! Max was drafted in 2007 and O'Reilly in 2009..

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
3OA for ROR is a solid deal, but the Habs biggest problem is that they have little to no good prospects (yes the 4 2nd round picks this year does help a lot, but they have no blue chip prospect anymore). Then again, 3OA isn't always a guaranteed good player - and considering the best center (Kotkaniemi) isn't even projected to be a top-line center, maybe ROR for 3OA is the best the Habs can do if they really want to contend.

You should read updated draft reports my friend, Kotkaniemi has swiftly moved into a top 5 pick as of late. I'm fairly confident that Habs will take him and I'm happy if they do.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
:habs
O'Reilly

:sabres
Pacioretty (with agreement to extend with BUF)
Petry (600k retained)
Lindgren
2nd round pick 2018 (MTL - 35th overall)

Why do the Habs do this?
The Habs lose their best offensive player and 2nd best defenseman (2nd to Weber) but finally acquire a center they most desperately need. While the hole in the wings is not too bad (since they're stacked), they could target Carlson/Green in free agency to fill in the Petry spot (and if they don't, then they can easily roll with Juulsen).

Why do the Sabres do this?
The Sabres weakest areas are in the LW and the RD (considering Dahlin is coming in to save the day in LD). Pacioretty is a premium top 2-way LW who finally gets the chance to play with an actual good center. He will greatly contribute to the offense (they'll need it with ROR out of their lineup). But where it gets interesting is that they also acquire Petry who would become their best defenseman (for the moment). They also get Lindgren who could help out with goaltending (and possibly break out - he's certainly shown he's got what it takes in MTL). This also opens the Sabres window to finally contend and get out of the rut they've been in for far too long.

I understand BUF gets older with this trade, but again: they will be able to contend & solidify their team. They have what it takes to go far with these trades (and a certain Dahlin incoming) IMO.
Pacioretty probably has no interest in signing long term with Buffalo....who would want to live there....and Buffalo probably more interested in younger under control wingers like Scherbak and Hudon.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
ROR isn't worth the 3OA. If that ever happens, don't stop throwing rocks at MB.

That being said, as long JB has a contingency plan to bring in a center to take Dzone and PK minutes away from CM, I would say the offer the OP posted was pretty fair. Would rather have Poehling than Lindgren, but the offer is on par.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
We have no reason to move ROR. 3OA + a small add is what gets it done. Don't want to move 3OA? Okay then, we'll keep ROR.

Keep ROR, I never wanted him in the first place. He's a great C, especially on a good line but i'm not convinced that he's the guy to bring the Habs to a cup. In fact, him and Pacioretty are good examples of lethal players that only unlock their full potential on a good line. From a Habs perspective I much rather suffer 2 more years and build by the draft

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Keep ROR, I never wanted him in the first place. He's a great C, especially on a good line but i'm not convinced that he's the guy to bring the Habs to a cup. In fact, him and Pacioretty are good examples of lethal players that only unlock their full potential on a good line. From a Habs perspective I much rather suffer 2 more years and build by the draft

There's no trade that can bring in what you need to go to the cup. And no, ROR is as complimentary as Patch, as you have suggested.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
This tail-chasing needs to stop.

Montreal fans need to understand that Sabre fans have no interest in trading Ryan O’Reilly with Max Pacioretty as the main piece coming back.

It makes the Sabres worse now AND in the future, and no amount of throw-ins will change that.

It’s not about fair value. It’s about fit. We want pieces that are of an age with Eichel that some day might be as good as O’Reilly.

“Yeah but...”

NO!

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Much younger?! Max was drafted in 2007 and O'Reilly in 2009..

You realize he is going to be 31 when his long term contract kicks in? ROR will have just turned 32 a few months before his long term contract ends.

Yea, the Sabres would be getting older by taking the older player due a long term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad