Proposal: MTL-BUF (yes yes, ROR related)

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
:habs
O'Reilly

:sabres
Pacioretty (with agreement to extend with BUF)
Petry (600k retained)
Lindgren
2nd round pick 2018 (MTL - 35th overall)

Why do the Habs do this?
The Habs lose their best offensive player and 2nd best defenseman (2nd to Weber) but finally acquire a center they most desperately need. While the hole in the wings is not too bad (since they're stacked), they could target Carlson/Green in free agency to fill in the Petry spot (and if they don't, then they can easily roll with Juulsen).

Why do the Sabres do this?
The Sabres weakest areas are in the LW and the RD (considering Dahlin is coming in to save the day in LD). Pacioretty is a premium top 2-way LW who finally gets the chance to play with an actual good center. He will greatly contribute to the offense (they'll need it with ROR out of their lineup). But where it gets interesting is that they also acquire Petry who would become their best defenseman (for the moment). They also get Lindgren who could help out with goaltending (and possibly break out - he's certainly shown he's got what it takes in MTL). This also opens the Sabres window to finally contend and get out of the rut they've been in for far too long.

I understand BUF gets older with this trade, but again: they will be able to contend & solidify their team. They have what it takes to go far with these trades (and a certain Dahlin incoming) IMO.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If what the Sabres need most is a premium two-way LW, why not use the much younger ROR at LW?

It just doesn’t make sense from buffalo’s perspective. They get so much older. And you saying they will be able to compete now doesn’t make it true.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
If what the Sabres need most is a premium two-way LW, why not use the much younger ROR at LW?
Pacioretty is only 2 years older. Besides, Pacioretty (without the help of a center) scores way more goals than ROR (and don't go bringing up a 1-year sample that's not reflective of Pacioretty's career and potential) - so it's in BUF's best interest to go for him should they think of moving ROR in LW...

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Pacioretty is only 2 years older. Besides, Pacioretty (without the help of a center) scores way more goals than ROR (and don't go bringing up a 1-year sample that's not reflective of Pacioretty's career and potential) - so it's in BUF's best interest to go for him should they think of moving ROR in LW...

Those two years are going to be big when patches gets a long term contract that kicks in after he turns 31. The value is fair-ish, I just don’t see how it makes sense for buffalo’s young team to add two players over 30 for their top trade asset.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Those two years are going to be big when patches gets a long term contract that kicks in after he turns 31. The value is fair-ish, I just don’t see how it makes sense for buffalo’s young team to add two players over 30 for their top trade asset.
I understand what you're saying about Buffalo getting older, but Buffalo needs to get out of the rut, because it's not healthy to stay at the bottom. By acquiring Pacioretty and Petry who are still on their A-game will bring them that much further, and in return will get the rest of the team to push harder too. ROR recently said that the "Sabres adopted mindset of ‘being OK with losing’." This deal, along with acquiring Dahlin 1st OA, will get the Sabres to get back in the fold & compete hard. They have the pieces to go far - they have one of the best centers in Eichel, then they also have Mr. Pull Ups and Reinhart, etc. They are also set in RW for the moment, and with Petry/Ristolainen and Dahlin/Scandella on Defense, they can go pretty far IMO.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
We have no reason to move ROR. 3OA + a small add is what gets it done. Don't want to move 3OA? Okay then, we'll keep ROR.
3OA for ROR is a solid deal, but the Habs biggest problem is that they have little to no good prospects (yes the 4 2nd round picks this year does help a lot, but they have no blue chip prospect anymore). Then again, 3OA isn't always a guaranteed good player - and considering the best center (Kotkaniemi) isn't even projected to be a top-line center, maybe ROR for 3OA is the best the Habs can do if they really want to contend.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
3OA for ROR is a solid deal, but the Habs biggest problem is that they have little to no good prospects (yes the 4 2nd round picks this year does help a lot, but they have no blue chip prospect anymore). Then again, 3OA isn't always a guaranteed good player - and considering the best center (Kotkaniemi) isn't even projected to be a top-line center, maybe ROR for 3OA is the best the Habs can do if they really want to contend.

I totally get what you're saying. I just feel like from a Sabres perspective, we don't have to move him. So unless it's an overpayment why trade him? That's why I said 3OA and a small add.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have no reason to move ROR.

I'm going to give you a reason to move ROR: Eichel is about half the player he should be. It's time to hand him the team the same way MacKinnon was handed the AVS after Duchene was traded.

And Pacioretty on Eichel's wing sure would help for that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
how does buffalo replace ROR? Maybe trade down and draft The Finnish boi?
Time for Reinhart to stop acting like a rookie, to step up and take responsibilities as well (until Mittelstadt is ready, at least). You already have 3 high ranked C's in your system.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
I'm going to give you a reason to move ROR: Eichel is about half the player he should be. It's time to hand him the team the same way MacKinnon was handed the AVS after Duchene was traded.

And Pacioretty on Eichel's wing sure would help for that.

Time for Reinhart to stop acting like a rookie, to step up and take responsibilities as well (until Mittelstadt is ready, at least). You already have 3 high ranked C's in your system.

Trading one of the best two-way centers in the game for a bunch of spare parts accomplishes nothing you would have the Sabres set out to do in your posts.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Almost seems like Habs fans think if they post Pacioretty and spare parts for ROR enough eventually it will become a good deal. It's not.
Funny how "spare part" Petry would be Buffalo's best defenseman (until Dahlin fully matures into his role in a couple of years).

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
ROR for 3OA.

Pacioretty + doesnt get it done. if he had a few years left maybe, but he is a UFA after the season

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Funny how "spare part" Petry would be Buffalo's best defenseman (until Dahlin fully matures into his role in a couple of years).
Who is also 30... while not as bad for a def... it still doesn't fit the sabres time line. So it doesn't really move the needle. 3OA or a package around multiples of Mete, Poehling ,Scherbak, Juulsen, future 1sts if ya want ROR. Trade the aging to contending teams to replenish your pool if ya want.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Ristolainen?
I personally find Petry to be better than Ristolainen.

Who is also 30... while not as bad for a def... it still doesn't fit the sabres time line. So it doesn't really move the needle. 3OA or a package around multiples of Mete, Poehling ,Scherbak, Juulsen, future 1sts if ya want ROR. Trade the aging to contending teams to replenish your pool if ya want.
I completely understand this. I was just saying that Petry is no spare part. He's older, true, but he's still really good. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to ship Poehling + Scherbak + Juulsen + a future 1st (top-10 protected) for ROR.

Reactions: normaliswear

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
I personally find Petry to be better than Ristolainen.

I completely understand this. I was just saying that Petry is no spare part. He's older, true, but he's still really good. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to ship Poehling + Scherbak + Juulsen + a future 1st (top-10 protected) for ROR.
From a "what value does he add for Buffalo in a trade" perspective where their 3 best players are 21, 19, and about to be 18... he's a spare part. I would consider the Poehling, Scherbak, Juulsen, and a top 10 protected (for one year only) 1st though. May be a bit quantity for quality and some buff fans prob won't like it but I think I'd do that. Rather just do 3OA, but I'd understand your reluctance.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Moving ROR will hurt the Sabres a lot. Short and long term.

Those pieces don’t do the same exact thing for MTL.

3OA + a good AHL/prospect makes the Sabres sit up and take notice of MTL being a serious player.

Reactions: Sabres

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad