OT: MSG Channel accessibility outside of NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucksoup

Apr 3, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi everyone,

I apologize for starting a new thread as I am sure this has been discussed before at some point in time. I just moved to Virginia for a new job and I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to watch the Rangers next season (barring any lockout!).

At first I thought I would need to sign up for Center Ice. However, both companies available in my area (Comcast and DirecTV) are claiming that with a premier package, MSG would be one of the channels I can access in the area. I did not think it was possible to get MSG outside of the general NY area. Can anyone verify/refute this? For the record, both Comcast and DirecTV have been a little shady during the process of finding out information about costing/packages and I am not sure who is the lesser of two evils.

Thanks in advance for your help!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Since you're in Virginia, you're not in the broadcast region for the game. You can get the channel but the game will be blacked out unless you order Center Ice.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Hi everyone,

I apologize for starting a new thread as I am sure this has been discussed before at some point in time. I just moved to Virginia for a new job and I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to watch the Rangers next season (barring any lockout!).

At first I thought I would need to sign up for Center Ice. However, both companies available in my area (Comcast and DirecTV) are claiming that with a premier package, MSG would be one of the channels I can access in the area. I did not think it was possible to get MSG outside of the general NY area. Can anyone verify/refute this? For the record, both Comcast and DirecTV have been a little shady during the process of finding out information about costing/packages and I am not sure who is the lesser of two evils.

I have Comcast and we get all the MSG channels. I'm in central Jersey though which is still considered the NY metro so I don't know if this helps.

acapps10

Apr 8, 2008
Hi everyone,

I too am moving to Virginia in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to see how this works out for you. Please let us know what you choose, thanks.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hi everyone,

In my experience, while you may get MSG in your package, the sports broadcasts will be blacked out. You will likely need to subscribe to Center Ice to get the games.

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
Get DirecTV.. If you have the premier package or the sports pack you will get all of the MSG channels however, when NHL or NBA games start they will "shut off" the channel unless you have the corresponding sports package.. NHL Center Ice for instance... What's good about DirecTV is that you get the MSG channels full time. Meaning you can watch pre and post game.. If you just had NHL Center Ice, you would not get pregame and they would cut off coverage as soon as the game ends..

Mr Atoz*

What's the point of getting MSG if there are no games on?

Unless your passion is throwing darts at that obnoxious babbling moron on with Boomer Esiason.

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
What's the point of getting MSG if there are no games on?

Unless your passion is throwing darts at that obnoxious babbling moron on with Boomer Esiason.

If you want pre and post game coverage..

dynamoovechkin

Apr 25, 2006
SF Bay Area
Agreed. The only way to really get MSG is to get Directv. Dish and Comcast/Xfinity do not offer the channel directly. I learned this the hard way.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I too am moving to Virginia in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to see how this works out for you. Please let us know what you choose, thanks.

Lived in Georgia for 8 years now and here is the full deal. Any cable or satellite provider that says you will get MSG and it will not be blacked out is completely full of dog ****. Even having center ice AND MSG, the majority of games will still be blacked out on MSG and you will be stuck with an away feed on center ice.

Your best bet is to just go ahead and get Center Ice. The majority of Rangers games on there end up in the home feed, I think me and my dad figured out it was like 55-60 out of 82?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The secret with Directv is to sign up using a NY state address. When I was living in Atlanta I got all the Rangers games on MSG, but it was funny seeing the Fox Sports South feed going dark for the Braves or whatever games.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
The secret with Directv is to sign up using a NY state address. When I was living in Atlanta I got all the Rangers games on MSG, but it was funny seeing the Fox Sports South feed going dark for the Braves or whatever games.

this!!! I have directv and have my physical address as a CT address and i do have the sports pak still, but was thinking of cancelling that, theoretically it should still work. But then you don't need the NHL center ice package and you get the MSG broadcasters all the time!

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
I live in Rochester, NY and because of the F-ing Sabres Rangers Pre game - Game - post game are all blacked out. Pisses me off to no end. at least let me watch pre-and post game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This thread brings back nightmares of having to watch Sabres games up in Ithaca despite being geographically closer to Manhattan. I think MSG Network promised the Sabres 50 games in that region to get them to sign. Thanks Dolan.

Apr 10, 2012
i have direct tv. you can pay like 10 bucks extra a month for msg, but games you have to buy center ice. you don't have to change the channel to watch them or anything and you get post/pre-game. not sure about replays. pretty sure they still show them

Cyclonus

May 31, 2012
Newark DE
Im signed up w/ Gamecenter live and i get msg feeds in hd down here in Delaware. I can watch the games on my laptop; desktop; iphone; ipad and ps3....and this coming year my xbox!!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
ya it all blows. If all else fails, just find post game and pregame videos after the game and stream the game itself with home feed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The only way to do it is to tell the company you want the NY feed (including news channels). I did this in Philly. I got all Giants games, Rangers games, etc. but none of the Philly channels.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
This thread brings back nightmares of having to watch Sabres games up in Ithaca despite being geographically closer to Manhattan. I think MSG Network promised the Sabres 50 games in that region to get them to sign. Thanks Dolan.

Funny, last time I drove it, Buffalo was closer to Ithaca than Ithaca was to NYC--but that was 30+ years ago. Maybe Ithaca moved.

fjallraven

Dec 16, 2014
NY
Is there anyone watching the game currently that is not in the NY metro area? We may have to move to New England and I saw that Direct TV has MSG. Are Sam and Joe calling the game right now? Is it on your tv the same way that it would be in the NY area? I am freaking out here because I don't want to miss games and I don't want to have to stream them just to have them the same way I would in NY.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Center Ice, GCL, or HockeyStreams are your only options if you don't want a crappy stream. The stream posted in the top of each GDT may be good quality. I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad