Mrazek traded to the Flyers

FLYERSxGIROUX28

Jan 29, 2011
Philly
Flyers fan here, I'd agree with what most of you guys have said - you're likely to get our third, but highly unlikely to get more than that. I can't see inside of Hexy's head, but Elliott will be here next year, Neuvy is under contract but might not be here next year, but regardless Mrazek has been less than stellar (imo 4th of our 4 different goalies with the big club this year) so we won't be qualifying him. The best shot you have of getting more out of us is Elliott/Neuvy not being game ready for playoff time, but it seems one of them will be (hopefully Elliott). If Neuvy is ready come playoff time (and Elliott isn't) there's a chance that Hak rolls Mrazek over him, but I think most Flyers fans would be against that (have a look at the numbers). Even then, we're probably less than 50% against Caps/Pens (although we've played the Caps fairly well this year). Even by the end of a round 1 win, I think Elliott would be ready to go, and Mrazek's play would have to drastically improve to warrant benching B.E over him. But who knows, if we hit another skid (streakiest team ever) we could miss the playoffs altogether.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No.

Blashill, there is enough evidence you could move on from him. Or there is enough evidence that he's a good coach saddled with a completely lackluster lineup. He can go or not. He doesn't "need to go".

Holland. He should probably go. The team is lackluster because of his moves.

Wright. Nothing says he should go. Larkin is good. Svech is disappointing,but not completely busted. Holland basically told him make chicken salad with chicken **** in his first two drafts by leaving him four picks total in the 1st-3rd rounds in 14 and 15. The guys from the 16 and 17 drafts actually look promising. People want to just see heads roll, which is a moronic way to do it. If a new GM wants to can Wright so they can have their guy, that's one thing. But Tyler Wright has not actually done a bad job in his time.

Same wtih Ryan Martin. The capologist. He's done a fantastic job. They've had room under the cap to do anything that they've ever needed. They could have operated with a 7.5M Pavel Datsyuk shaped bomb hitting their roster if Stamkos wasn't out on the market and they wanted to gear up to try for him.

Reactions: 21 Savage

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Flyers fan here, I'd agree with what most of you guys have said - you're likely to get our third, but highly unlikely to get more than that. I can't see inside of Hexy's head, but Elliott will be here next year, Neuvy is under contract but might not be here next year, but regardless Mrazek has been less than stellar (imo 4th of our 4 different goalies with the big club this year) so we won't be qualifying him. The best shot you have of getting more out of us is Elliott/Neuvy not being game ready for playoff time, but it seems one of them will be (hopefully Elliott). If Neuvy is ready come playoff time (and Elliott isn't) there's a chance that Hak rolls Mrazek over him, but I think most Flyers fans would be against that (have a look at the numbers). Even then, we're probably less than 50% against Caps/Pens (although we've played the Caps fairly well this year). Even by the end of a round 1 win, I think Elliott would be ready to go, and Mrazek's play would have to drastically improve to warrant benching B.E over him. But who knows, if we hit another skid (streakiest team ever) we could miss the playoffs altogether.

Might wanna be careful. There's many here who think mrazek is the next hasek.

But I am cheering for you guys. Hope you at least make the playoffs!!

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Mrazek gets pulled playing against us lol. Looks like everyone plays like it's a firedrill in front of him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Who was it again that laughed when I said Mrazek would only get $900k on the UFA market? :laugh:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think his return will be a third-round pick; I can't see Philly missing the playoffs at this point. They even made a perceptive in-game decision to pull Mrazek before things got completely out of hand last night, and as a result, salvaged a point for themselves in the standings.

Petr's inconsistency was no secret before the Flyers traded for him. For example, Detroit exposed him for the expansion draft, Vegas then passed him up. You can be sure Ron Hextall had him scouted appropriately; he even commented at the time of the trade that he was interested in Mrazek simply because he was available.

I think the trade package kind of hopes that Petr can make a comeback while acknowledging that Petr might not have much of a future in the NHL. However, even with such an adjustable trade package, Petr hasn't made it easy. He'll probably achieve the middle level of value agreed upon, with five wins contributing to the Flyers making the playoffs. However, he wont have achieved that middle value by average play. Judging by how he's played so far, he'll have achieved that middle value by swinging between extremes of playing brilliantly when he wants to, only to implode when pressure is on him externally. That's exactly what we were getting from him recently in Detroit, and again, it was no secret to Philadelphia.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
So after Hasek had his great game last night, sorry I meant mrazek, here is what I found from a Phillie fan

Goalie Issues Dooming the Flyers Again? What? No! Can’t Be! Thoughts After Red Wings 5, Flyers 4

Looks like we might get stuck with just a 4th because of how bad petr actually is.

It's probably a foregone conclusion that the Panthers, who have 3 games in hand and are 11-2-1 in the last month, bump Philly out of the 1st WC spot. However, in order for Philly to get dropped completely from the playoff picture, they'll have to continue playing bad while the Devils, who have basically been right at .500 for the past couple months, string some kind of winning streak together in their last 9 games.

The Red Wings return on the trade probably ends up topping out at one 3rd rounder.

The Red Wings probably have the same chance to make the playoffs as they do getting a 2nd rounder in this deal. A wise man once touted that anything can happen in the playoffs if you "just get in", but the Flyers chances of getting out of the 1st round against Tampa or Boston will be slim, let alone making it to the ECF. That said, even if the do make it out of the first two rounds, Mrazek will likely have spent the entirety of the playoffs in the pressbox or on the bench.

And as for the conditional 3rd based on Mrazek re-signing with the Flyers... You probably have a better chance at getting struck by lightning. Mrazek certainly isn't getting that QO now, and I doubt they go through the effort of trying to move Elliot or Neuvirth to make room for him. Even if they did hypothetically move Neuvirth, they'd probably be better off giving the #2 job to Stolarz or Lyon instead of Mrazek.

At this point, getting a 3rd for a rental that is going to be an afterthought on the UFA market is pretty much a win the Red Wings.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Just a thought, the trade conditions state that if PHI sign Mrz, we get a 3rd. It is possible that they don't offer a QO but sign him for less. Maybe Mrz likes it in PHI.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mrazek looked really good the first three games, I really thought he’d play with a chip on his shoulder, but ever since those first three games, he’s showcased a lot of the same problems we know about it. It’s a bummer.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
No.

Blashill, there is enough evidence you could move on from him. Or there is enough evidence that he's a good coach saddled with a completely lackluster lineup. He can go or not. He doesn't "need to go".

Holland. He should probably go. The team is lackluster because of his moves.

Wright. Nothing says he should go. Larkin is good. Svech is disappointing,but not completely busted. Holland basically told him make chicken salad with chicken **** in his first two drafts by leaving him four picks total in the 1st-3rd rounds in 14 and 15. The guys from the 16 and 17 drafts actually look promising. People want to just see heads roll, which is a moronic way to do it. If a new GM wants to can Wright so they can have their guy, that's one thing. But Tyler Wright has not actually done a bad job in his time.

Same wtih Ryan Martin. The capologist. He's done a fantastic job. They've had room under the cap to do anything that they've ever needed. They could have operated with a 7.5M Pavel Datsyuk shaped bomb hitting their roster if Stamkos wasn't out on the market and they wanted to gear up to try for him.

New GM.
You start at the top. You hire a new GM.
The new GM should bring in his own coach and try to bring in his own trusted scouts.

Wright's career history is nothing special in the scouting department.
The Larkin pick was nothing special. He was the best center on the charts when Detroit picked and Detroit obviously needed centers (Most of the draft was about drafting centers).

Alex Tuch was more of a winger than a center. Larkin was rated higher than Schmaltz and Fabbri (who didn't really project as a center).

Probably the only question was Larkin or McCann.
And you go with the speedy hometown kid who's going to Michigan. Duh.

The Larkin pick is probably the easiest, most common sense and supported first round pick the Red Wings have made in years.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just a thought, the trade conditions state that if PHI sign Mrz, we get a 3rd. It is possible that they don't offer a QO but sign him for less. Maybe Mrz likes it in PHI.

They certainly could, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the Flyers. They already have two goalies under contract, who have thus far been better than Mrazek on their team. Considering the often thin market for goalies, there's no guarantee they can move one, and if they can, they probably don't get enough to offset losing a 3rd to keep a goalie that is a clear down grade. They also will likely still have Stolarz and Lyon still in the system, and a highly rated goalie prospect in Hart coming over.

And if the Flyers do want another goalie, they probably know they'd be better off keeping their 3rd and getting a goalie on the UFA market.

Lastly, if Mrazek likes it in Philly it'll likely be short lived. The fan base there(the one that threw bracelets honoring their dead long time owner onto the ice in droves) has already soured on him and is begging for them to just ride Lyon for the rest of the season.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Mrazek had a small window to make an impression in Philly.

First 3 games.... we were looking at him being re-signed.

Mrazek followed that up with a bunch of not just bad performance... but he has been pulled from the game 2 times? maybe 3?

He is done in Philly.
Right now Lyon looks like a safer choice than Mrazek.

Would Phi QO Mrazek right now? No
Would Phi want Mrazek next year for 900K? I think no.
Does Detroit want Mrazek back at 900K? I think no.

Mrazek is playing for his NHL life right now... Because its very possible he will have trouble finding anyone who wants him. I think there will be a team that will take him as a gamble. But his next contract is <1M i bet. And if he starts turning down offers because they are not above 1.5 or 2M.... He might very well be playing his last games in the NHL right now.

Reactions: kliq and ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Mrazek had a small window to make an impression in Philly.

First 3 games.... we were looking at him being re-signed.

Mrazek followed that up with a bunch of not just bad performance... but he has been pulled from the game 2 times? maybe 3?

He is done in Philly.
Right now Lyon looks like a safer choice than Mrazek.

Would Phi QO Mrazek right now? No
Would Phi want Mrazek next year for 900K? I think no.
Does Detroit want Mrazek back at 900K? I think no.

Mrazek is playing for his NHL life right now... Because its very possible he will have trouble finding anyone who wants him. I think there will be a team that will take him as a gamble. But his next contract is <1M i bet. And if he starts turning down offers because they are not above 1.5 or 2M.... He might very well be playing his last games in the NHL right now.

X2. Mrazek had a pretty big opportunity in Philly and not only fumbled it, but probably did more harm to his NHL future. He's now been pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts. He's been worse in Philly than he was during his dumpster fire phase to end 15-16.

If he made a big run down the stretch and in the playoffs, he either forces the Flyers to make a decision to keep him or he gets rewarded on the UFA market if they don't (see Andrew Hammond, Michael Leighton and Antti Niemi).

Now it looks like his window is closed. The Flyers are going with Lyon tonight, while Neuvirth is due back within the next week and Elliot within the next two. I'll bet as soon as one of them is healthy, Petr is REALLY done for the Flyers.

It'll be interesting to see what Mrazek pulls on the open market. A 26YO goalie who hasn't been able to consistently hang onto a starting job with two different teams over a 2+ year period probably doesn't get any consideration for the very limited "starter" openings. And for other openings, is he a better option than guys like Halak, Ward, Lehtonen, Bernier, Hutton, Khudobin or even Niemi?

Regardless, I hope he saved some of that $8M from the last two years.... Although he might actually make more in the KHL next season.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Lastly, if Mrazek likes it in Philly it'll likely be short lived. The fan base there(the one that threw bracelets honoring their dead long time owner onto the ice in droves) has already soured on him and is begging for them to just ride Lyon for the rest of the season.
You're so right, I forgot how the PHI fans are. he's probably dead meat already

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad