Mrazek traded to the Flyers

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ah, the ole iron clad go get a girlfriend argument. Talk about checkmate.

And after those ten games you'll see that he's still the same leopard with the same spots, a wildly inconsistent goalie that is a borderline starter in the league. But all he needs to do is win two more games so we can stop talking about him.

Well that explains why he's so inconsistent. Frankly, it's amazing that a leopard can play goalie let alone so well.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Damn, was hoping Mrazek would pull off the charade of tricking Philly into thinking he was good enough to re-sign, like Smith did last year for NYR.

Oh well, at least we get 1 pick.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the real question is - what happened in Mrazek's progression that turned him into such a sieve?

I remember a few years ago he was playing at an unreal Vezina-caliber level in the first half after already having a tremendous start to his pro career. Then, he had one of the worst games of his career against Boston on his birthday on national TV... and he's never been the same since.

It's just so captivatingly odd. All signs point to mental, but why? He was progressing towards being an elite goalie in this league.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
What happened in his progression is that he didn’t progress. He’s making the same mistakes he’s always done with bad positioning and rebound control but now teams have tape on him. He has occasional games where he shows up and vacuums everything, but those are happenstance, not sustainable, repeatable actions.

Teams know that eventually they can eat him alive on cross ice stuff. That he will overcommit eventually.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think the real question is - what happened in Mrazek's progression that turned him into such a sieve?

I remember a few years ago he was playing at an unreal Vezina-caliber level in the first half after already having a tremendous start to his pro career. Then, he had one of the worst games of his career against Boston on his birthday on national TV... and he's never been the same since.

It's just so captivatingly odd. All signs point to mental, but why? He was progressing towards being an elite goalie in this league.
He's full of himself and built himself up into something he's not so the crash down is that much more devastating; Hi, his infamous instagram post. Unless he's living in a state of denial.

And as tsw mentioned, he still struggles with stuff that should be trivial / elementary to any NHL goalie. Things that if he were as good as people claim he shouldn't have any problem correcting, and to be frank are the easiest things to fix because all it takes is reps.

It'll be interesting to see of someone throws him starter money, he accepts a back-up role, or heads to the KHL. Hopefully he gets two more wins first.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
To be fair, in the Florida game, the team in front of him hung him out to dry on several occasions. If we can admit that wins are a lousy metric because it's a team sport, then I'm not putting one bad game completely on him when the skaters also played like dirt.

But miniscule sample sizes aside, here's to hoping he at least gets the two more wins for the 3rd rounder to kick in.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
He definitely gets two more wins. I bet he comes out and plays well in Pitt, actually. It's a game where he should reasonably get bombed, so he'll play with fire in his ass.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's a game where he should reasonably get bombed, so he'll play with fire in his ass.
And perhaps even earn a scouting badge for his efforts:

il_570xN.149335545.jpg

Reactions: Red Stanley

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
To be fair, in the Florida game, the team in front of him hung him out to dry on several occasions. If we can admit that wins are a lousy metric because it's a team sport, then I'm not putting one bad game completely on him when the skaters also played like dirt.

But miniscule sample sizes aside, here's to hoping he at least gets the two more wins for the 3rd rounder to kick in.
Yeah, watching the highlights and I am not so much blaming Mrazek as I am blaming the Flyers defense for allowing so many breakaways and odd man rushes. The stretch pass absolutely destroyed them in that game.

And even if it was all on Mrazek, we are getting way too involved in small samples to make arguments in this thread. I understand taking a look at the games and whatnot, but we can't really make a concrete determination of the trade for a while.

Reactions: 14ari13

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think people are getting antsy about him getting those last 2 wins. I don't know when Philly goalies are expected to return, but when one does, Mrazek is done playing for the season... and perhaps the NHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And even if it was all on Mrazek, we are getting way too involved in small samples to make arguments in this thread. I understand taking a look at the games and whatnot, but we can't really make a concrete determination of the trade for a while.

Sample sizes are growing bigger all the time. If something was unexpected, it was his great first games. Now, when sample size is growing bigger, Mrazek is reaching his normal poor level and things go pretty much as expected. Hot start in new environment, then regress.

Neuvirth, .915% 2.61GAA
Elliott .908% 2.72GAA
Lyon .903% 2.88GAA
Mrazek .895% 2.92GAA

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
In his defence the flyers were hot and with his 3 wins they were overdue to hit the wall. But it will be interesting to see how both he and the team responds.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, watching the highlights and I am not so much blaming Mrazek as I am blaming the Flyers defense for allowing so many breakaways and odd man rushes. The stretch pass absolutely destroyed them in that game.

But we can. He was gone in June.

Zero asset.

We traded him for at worst a 4th but likely a 3rd. Asset.

Good move. It doesn't matter if he goes on to be super Vezina and goes 300-0 for the rest of his career. He wasn't going to do so here.

Reactions: njx9

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
But we can. He was gone in June.

Zero asset.

We traded him for at worst a 4th but likely a 3rd. Asset.

Good move. It doesn't matter if he goes on to be super Vezina and goes 300-0 for the rest of his career. He wasn't going to do so here.
If Mrazek goes 300-0 for the rest of his career that is a major knock on the Wings development. So yes, there should be concerns if Mrazek ends up being a very good goaltender and backstops a team to contender status. I understand why the trade was made considering the relationship he had with the team and his career to this point, but it is certainly possible the Wings sold very low on a goaltender that they didn't develop well and projected to be less than what he actually was.

But what he does this season really has little bearing on that discussion unless it continues going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad