Mrazek traded to the Flyers

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
No, they gave him a big salary raise and made him the number one goalie. Petr blew his opportunity.

this is the main reason he was let go. We HAD to dump salary guys. It had to be done. (If you want to rewind 5 years to when we dont have any bad contracts.. i find that to be a pointless rabbit hole)

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What are you talking about?

Just taking a swipe at those who feel she has had it out for Petr these last few seasons or that she is Holland's "axe-man" in the media trying to assassinate Mrazek's character. A silly add to my post, but I've found those thoughts laughable over the years and couldn't resist.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
this is the main reason he was let go. We HAD to dump salary guys. It had to be done. (If you want to rewind 5 years to when we dont have any bad contracts.. i find that to be a pointless rabbit hole)

Only if Holland's going shopping for more mediocrity this summer. We had enough cap space to keep both goalies and re-sign our RFA.

Reactions: 14ari13 and njx9

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I understand why we moved a goalie but I really don't understand why we didn't move Howie. We now have a 33 year old goalie and a 26 year old AHL goalie. Hope to see some of our goalie prospects develop into something otherwise we're stuck with nothing in a few years.

Probably wasn't much interest in Howard around the league. It's likely we offered Philly either goalie and they chose the kid based on potential. I don't see any team rolling the dice on either of our goalies based on overall numbers the last few years - so a desperate team gambled on Mrazek's playoff numbers and his potential to catch fire on the short term rather than going the ho-hum route of Howard.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is already a gift that keeps on giving.

Holland stinks.

They hold 2M for two months. What the hell are you on about? Retaining on Mrazek means literally nothing. They're just going to sell at the deadline anyway... so retain all you want on him.

Reactions: Oddbob

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
can't recall another player that has been given so many excuses by people around here for his garbage play. ownership, holland, blashill, helene st james :laugh: We'll see if a change of scenery does anything, but my guess is he will continue to be plagued by inconsistencies and will end up in the KHL if he doesn't get a qualifying offer during the summer

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah this could potentially look bad if he steals a couple playoff series for Philly which he could. But he hasnt really been worth his salary and they would likely lose him for nothing if they didnt make this trade.

It really depends on the conditions though so no one can really judge this trade yet. At least Holland is moving some salary for picks, its a start at least

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Havent posted on here for a while but gotta say best of luck to Mrazek in Phily.

When he's on his game he is extremely fun goalie to watch.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Only if Holland's going shopping for more mediocrity this summer. We had enough cap space to keep both goalies and re-sign our RFA.

The Wings were not going to give Mrazek a QO in the offseason. It wasn't going to happen. So... shouldn't they get an asset for the guy that literally was going to walk out the door for nothing in two months?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If the conditionals are tied to games played or the QO, I'll bet Petr sits in the press box when Neuvirth and Elliott are healthy.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We had enough cap space to keep both goalies and re-sign our RFA.
The tandem sucks. It's time to pull the plug.

Aren't you one of the people complaining about Holland's lack of cap space? He's getting the cap space people here so desperately want. People want this team to tank and move anything that's not nailed down. Now that Holland is doing it you don't get to complain. Enjoy the losing.

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Probably wasn't much interest in Howard around the league. It's likely we offered Philly either goalie and they chose the kid based on potential. I don't see any team rolling the dice on either of our goalies based on overall numbers the last few years - so a desperate team gambled on Mrazek's playoff numbers and his potential to catch fire on the short term rather than going the ho-hum route of Howard.
Yeah you're probably right that Philly preferred Mrazek but I'm sure that over the past year we could've moved Howie for something. It Doesn't even matter if it was a 5th round pick, theres a lot of value in keeping a young capable goalie. Regardless I wish Petr the best, he wasn't happy here.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The tandem sucks. It's time to pull the plug.

Aren't you one of the people complaining about Holland's lack of cap space? He's getting the cap space people here so desperately want. People want this team to tank and move anything that's not nailed down. Now that Holland is doing it you don't get to complain. Enjoy the losing.

Trading Mrazek is tanking? Non playoff teams sell, that's all.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
That's it for retaining 50%?

Mrazek is not a great goaltender. He's had two years of crap interspersed with a three start streak of good here and there.

He is a headcase and more than likely, he'll have one series or one ministreak where he looks fantastic and everyone will scream bloody murder about this trade... but realistcally, he'll amount to an immaterial addition to the Flyers.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
DET guaranteed no less than a 4th round for Mrazek. If PHI makes playoffs and Mrazek wins 5 games for PHI in reg season, 4th becomes a 3rd. If PHI advances to CF, and Mrazek wins six playoff games, the 3rd becomes a 2nd. If PHI re-signs him next season, DET gets PHI 3rd in 19.

That’s the conditions

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Getting rid of Mrazek is a smart move. Hopefully they dump Howard at next years deadline.

They can pick up a young goalie in a trade at the draft.

As for return we will need to see the conditions but it looks fine to me.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Mine as well be a flyers fan and mrazek fan the rest of the way. Even though it’s gonna kill me to see him be a great goalie for many years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad