Speculation: Mrazek trade to FLA?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What’s a good extension offer? I think more along the lines of two years (last RFA season, first UFA season) at $2.5M.

Why would he take that deal? He'd much rather take a qualifying offer at $4 million and become a free agency next season where he can probably make more money through a multi-year deal then.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I agree

Trade Howard for a conditional 7th or just buy him out altogether

I really dont see the point of buying him out, then we just carry a cap hit for another year. ONLY way I buy him out is if its the difference between signing an RFA or losing an RFA.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Why would he take that deal? He'd much rather take a qualifying offer at $4 million and become a free agency next season where he can probably make more money through a multi-year deal then.

Because he's probably not going to get a qualifying offer.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
If the Red Wings want to retain his rights they have to give him a qualifying offer at his current salary. On an open market Mrazek can probably get better deals than $2.5MX2.

That's true, but I'm talking about a contract extension. Is there some CBA voodoo that prevents a team and player from agreeing to an extension that would be less than his QO? If there is, then that makes things simple. He'll be a non-qualified FA, with his market value dependent on how he finishes the season and the numbers he puts up. If he keeps up this level of play for the rest of the year, then you're right, he should do better than $2.5Mx2. If he doesn't, he probably won't.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's true, but I'm talking about a contract extension. Is there some CBA voodoo that prevents a team and player from agreeing to an extension that would be less than his QO? If there is, then that makes things simple. He'll be a non-qualified FA, with his market value dependent on how he finishes the season and the numbers he puts up. If he keeps up this level of play for the rest of the year, then you're right, he should do better than $2.5Mx2. If he doesn't, he probably won't.
I don't see him accepting less money annually to play for this team, particularly if Howard is still here. If another team traded for him and he had a real opportunity to become a starter (again) I think he might take a multi-year deal like Mason did for job security. I currently don't see the incentive for Mrazek to sign anything besides his qualifying offer.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I don't see him accepting less money annually to play for this team, particularly if Howard is still here. If another team traded for him and he had a real opportunity to become a starter (again) I think he might take a multi-year deal like Mason did for job security. I currently don't see the incentive for Mrazek to sign anything besides his qualifying offer.

Basically it's just a question of whether Pete sees it as a "bird in the hand being worth more than two in the bush". Sure, he may feel confident he could make more with a new team than whatever the Wings offer as an extension, but this team could go in the toilet post-TDL and who knows what his numbers will be at the end of the season. I threw out $2.5M as a talking point. As for playing time, he's already beaten out Howard once for the starter's job and there's a chance Howard will be gone anyway, so there may not be many teams in position to offer him a better shot at the No. 1 job. As for incentive, for all we know there is no offer on earth that would keep Pete in Detroit. I'd like him to stay for at least a couple more years anyway, but it has to be at the right price.

Edit: And just to clear things up, I mean a contract extension being offered before the TDL, not later in the season or after the regular season when all the numbers are in. If Mrazek doesn't want to stay here, for whatever rerason, then he has to be traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad