Speculation: Mrazek trade to FLA?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If we were to ship Mrazek to FLA?

what would we want in return?

Mrazek for Reimer (cap dump) + Pick (good one)?
Mrazek for pick (OK one)
Mrazek 50% retained for pick (better than OK one)
Mrazek for Prospect? (who would we want as a prospect)

I theorize Detroit has been in contact with FLA. And these types of details may have been discussed by the DRW...

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Why Mrazek?
Why not Howard?
Honestly.
Is it because Detroit wants Howard?
Or because the other teams want Mrazek?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
From a purely observational point of view, I'd guess it's because Detroit appears to want Mrazek out. If you were to ask me, I'd trade them both. Picks would be nice. Not familiar with the Florida farm system to point to particular prospects. Isn't Reimer on a longer contract than either one of our goalies currently?

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
From a purely observational point of view, I'd guess it's because Detroit appears to want Mrazek out. If you were to ask me, I'd trade them both. Picks would be nice. Not familiar with the Florida farm system to point to particular prospects. Isn't Reimer on a longer contract than either one of our goalies currently?

Florida has two very good prospects (Borgstrom, Tippett) the Wings won't get.
McCoshen is already on the Panther's roster.

Max Gildon, a third round pick, could be a decent D prospect.

They also have that undersized 2nd rounder who is tearing up the WHL like crazy.
Heponiemi has 71 points in 29 games.
Doubt they're trading him.

Maybe Jonathan Ang?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If it's a good pick in 2018, I'd retain as much salary as it took. Load up on drafting.

Reactions: gbdet

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would retain as much as humanly possible on both Pete and Green. Just get the best possible pick that you can at this point. FLA isn't going to give up anyone good from the farm for Pete.

Reactions: gbdet

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Mrazek w/ retained for a pick. I don't have any interest in Sateri, and I have more confidence in handing our team a mid-round pick to burn than plucking some random prospect from Florida that the Panthers no longer believe in.

If I'm guessing what Holland would want, it would be Mrazek for Reimer with crap thrown around on either side to balance it out. My impression is that the Wings don't like Mrazek, but they also know Howard's old, he breaks down a lot, and has only a year left on his deal. Reimer has been pretty solid most of his career, though he's never been a full-fledged #1. Which might work for Holland who could be eyeballing a straight up platoon in goal with Howard.

Also, I doubt Florida wants to keep Reimer while having Luongo on the books for the next four years. But considering Luongo is still down there, and was playing well until he went down with an injury, how thrilled would Mrazek be about going down there and being expected to re-sign and be that guy's back-up? Unless Luongo's long term health is in question down there, or they see Mrazek as a guy to bring in for a few months and then cut loose. I'm not sure why they'd bother with the latter, though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Trading him to a team in division would be stupid if there’s other options.

A $4m goalie with a very questionable recent track record and a high cost just to extend a qualifying offer to keep his rights? I'm not sure I see a lot of other options being there for us.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Due to the large amount of money required to qualify Mrazek as an RFA, it is unlikely any team will be interested in trading for him whilst he is likely to become available in the summer as a UFA.

Only condition I see Mrazek traded is as a backup to a cup contender with a 50% retention and potentially salary coming back in return.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Edmonton is the more likely landing spot.

Still I think it is time to move Mrazek. Unfortunately he doesn't play into the long-term plans.

I would retain, Custance wrote a very good article on The Athletic in terms of Mrazek. I know it is a paywall, but honestly throw the Athletic down on your Christmas list guys/gals as hockey fans you will not regret it.

Retaining and taking on salaries should be a big part of the Wings rebuild. I think that is still an option since we have such a bad team and a sky high payroll, but that doesn't seem to bother the Ilitch family. Using the Wings financial might will be important to shortening this phase and getting maximum returns during certain parts of it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I theorize that Mrazek is on the outs just because they were hoping a smaller goalie would be showing better results. I.e. an athletic goalie should have done better.. Coreau a "huge" goalie just needs to learn positioning better (kinda like howards style). And Coreau will be cheap (saves us $$). I would imagine they no longer believe Mrazek to be a long term solution. (Mrazek is still young, and could prove DRW's wrong.)

A $4m goalie with a very questionable recent track record and a high cost just to extend a qualifying offer to keep his rights? I'm not sure I see a lot of other options being there for us.

Very true. I have been trying to imagine this scenario.

IF Detroit does not want to resign Mrazek at any price point next year... than we likely just let him walk
IF Detroit retains 2M of 4M this year in a trade..
What team would want to roll the dice on Mrazek...

Also with FLA, if we took Reimer back, he has 3 more years after this year... that would be quite a cap dump if we dont really want him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think Edmonton is the more likely landing spot.

Still I think it is time to move Mrazek. Unfortunately he doesn't play into the long-term plans.

I would retain, Custance wrote a very good article on The Athletic in terms of Mrazek. I know it is a paywall, but honestly throw the Athletic down on your Christmas list guys/gals as hockey fans you will not regret it.

Retaining and taking on salaries should be a big part of the Wings rebuild. I think that is still an option since we have such a bad team and a sky high payroll, but that doesn't seem to bother the Ilitch family. Using the Wings financial might will be important to shortening this phase and getting maximum returns during certain parts of it.

I have been meaning to buy the Athletic. Sounds like they are doing great work there.

I agree using our finances could be beneficial like how the leafs used theirs.

What do you think we could get from EDM for Mrazek?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting theory. Any theory on the Edmonton rumor by Kahn? Taking on Reimer would be pretty hefty. Not sure how I feel about that. But moving Mrazek seems inevitable at this point. I’m guessing he goes for a 5th at some point

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why Mrazek?
Why not Howard?
Honestly.
Maybe because Howard is 33 years old with a Mod NTC making close to $5.3 million for another season, It's a known fact that Holland wasn't happy with Mrazek's agent during their negotiation time and i just don't see Holland or any other possible Detroit GM resigning him. So why not move him for something he's not going to be re-qualified even Khan pretty much stated that so get something for him at the very least.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Interesting theory. Any theory on the Edmonton rumor by Kahn? Taking on Reimer would be pretty hefty. Not sure how I feel about that. But moving Mrazek seems inevitable at this point. I’m guessing he goes for a 5th at some point
From what i read, Most were offering Detroit either a 4th or 5th round pick and Holland wanted a 3rd rounder with retention i guess. I mean if Holland is willing to offer Mrazek at $2 million a 2018 3rd round pick should be more then fair right.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Holland is after a better pick still. I think he really want the third or above with retention.

I think the Oilers should bite on that in a hurry to be honest, they are pretty much out of time even with McDavid in the fold.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Very true. I have been trying to imagine this scenario.

IF Detroit does not want to resign Mrazek at any price point next year... than we likely just let him walk
IF Detroit retains 2M of 4M this year in a trade..
What team would want to roll the dice on Mrazek...

Also with FLA, if we took Reimer back, he has 3 more years after this year... that would be quite a cap dump if we dont really want him.

I have a really hard time seeing any team looking at Mrazek and seeing a guy they can lean on. It's part of the reason why I don't expect any deal to go down, unless whoever is picking him up is fine letting him walk after this year. If they are looking to let him walk, though, they aren't going to want to give us much of anything.

With Reimer, I don't think Holland would view it as a dump. He'd look at it as a safer, cheaper investment than Mrazek w/o the unknowns of just promoting Coreau - especially with Coreau's weak year in GR. I wouldn't really care who we plug into Mrazek's spot at this point, so I'd probably just opt for the cheaper option and then look for something this summer. Or just stick with Coreau.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The idea that no one will trade for Mrazek because he has to be qualified at $4M+ isn’t a factor for everyone. Players can sign lesser offers. (Pretty sure Schultz did that recently). If Florida thinks they can put Mrazek in a position he’s happy with, they can probably offer him a smaller deal, and with the tax breaks in Florida, his agent would be smart to encourage it.

As for what we want, is there an option to get a 3rd team involved? Retain whatever we can afford on Mrazek for a pick and Reimer, then retain $500k on Reimer (Edm? Pitts?) for a pick and maybe an impending UFA cap dump? But only if the picks are collectively better.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The idea that no one will trade for Mrazek because he has to be qualified at $4M+ isn’t a factor for everyone. Players can sign lesser offers. (Pretty sure Schultz did that recently). If Florida thinks they can put Mrazek in a position he’s happy with, they can probably offer him a smaller deal, and with the tax breaks in Florida, his agent would be smart to encourage it.

As for what we want, is there an option to get a 3rd team involved? Retain whatever we can afford on Mrazek for a pick and Reimer, then retain $500k on Reimer (Edm? Pitts?) for a pick and maybe an impending UFA cap dump? But only if the picks are collectively better.
These types of things should be on Holland's speed dial. Take a problem, and get some assets for it as best you can.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Why Mrazek?
Why not Howard?
Honestly.
Because Pete called old man Kenny out in the off season, Told him how the young guys did not like Trashill and questioned how the team was being built. Old man could not stand it, hung him out in expansion hoping someone would take him. I think he is sandbagging and hard and where ever he ends up he will do fine and stick it to Kenny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad