Proposal: Mrazek to the Islanders

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST A TRADE PROPOSAL THAT I PERSONALLY CONCOCTED. Don't freak out over something that hasn't happened.

To NYI: Petr Mrazek.
To DET: New York's 4th round pick in 2018.*

* Conditional draft pick. Guaranteed at least a 4th rounder. If the NYI make the 2018 playoffs, this becomes a 3rd round pick in 2018. If the NYI reach the conference finals in the 2018 playoffs, and Mrazek plays in at least 50 percent of the playoff games, this becomes a 2nd round pick in 2018.

ANALYSIS: The Islanders have a great offense, and lousy goaltending, and are likely feeling the pressure to step up this year, prior to several players becoming free agents (especially Tavares). Mrazek has the potential to make an immediate and significant improvement. Should they fail to make the playoffs, it's only a 4th rounder, which was approximately the rumored value of Mrazek anyway. But if they make the playoffs, the price bumps up, and, if the team catches lightning in a bottle - and Petr is a significant contributor - the price bumps up again. (This degree of success would also help leverage talks with Tavares and their other pending free agents to remain in New York.)

Meanwhile, Detroit gets a pick for a player they might not be extending a QO to anyway, and there's a decent chance that it's a 3rd rounder, which is probably more than they could otherwise get for him elsewhere around the league.

I think that creative wrinkles like conditional draft picks may be what the Wings need to deal some of their targeted assets, but what does everybody think? Would that be a fair deal for both teams, should the Wings decide to shop Mrazek?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don’t see why we would trade him for just a draft pick. Get any prospect in there. ESP if the draft pick will probably be a 3rd at best anyway.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don’t see why we would trade him for just a draft pick. Get any prospect in there. ESP if the draft pick will probably be a 3rd at best anyway.

Why would Mrazek return more than a draft pick?

OP's original deal structure is very reasonable and something I would probably take.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why would Mrazek return more than a draft pick?

OP's original deal structure is very reasonable and something I would probably take.

Ok.

I don’t see why holland SHOULD trade a possible goalie of a future (with nobody else having a fantastic shot at being a starter) for 1 draft pick (with low chance of even playing in the nhl)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Your take makes perfect sense...if you view him a a possible goalie of the future. But I don't think the organization shares that view.

Unless they've pulled a 180 based on an incredibly small sample size of recent play, they just left him unprotected in the expansion draft last summer, and have been hesitant to even play him regularly, until Howard played badly enough to force their hand. I'd be surprised if they kept him past this season.

Again, not necessarily how I feel about Mrazek as a player. Just going by the indications we have from the Wings.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I still think holland would try and get more. Otherwise he would have been dealt to Edmonton. I don’t see why he would’ve waited

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I still think holland would try and get more. Otherwise he would have been dealt to Edmonton. I don’t see why he would’ve waited

Yeah, I think folks underestimate how much blood Holland would want to pull from that stone if Mrazek was dealt. If he lost him in the expansion draft, it would have freed up $4m to spend over the summer, another backup could have been brought in, guys signed to strengthen other areas, etc. Dealing him now, with Howard falling apart, is a clear white flag on the season. And taking anything less than max value is pretty un-Holland unless he's desperately trying to sneak someone through waivers.

If Holland was willing to put Mrazek on waivers now then I could see him taking a fourth for him in a trade.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
That's a horrible return for a young goalie who as far as goalies go, has barely even started the best says days of his career

He may never get there but damn, we should be the ones to find that out given our rebuild has just started

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Sure he will try to get more for him, but who is going to pay considerably more than that for him? Smart money says that the Wings will not be able to move Howard and will not qualify Mrazek.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST A TRADE PROPOSAL THAT I PERSONALLY CONCOCTED. Don't freak out over something that hasn't happened.

To NYI: Petr Mrazek.
To DET: New York's 4th round pick in 2018.*

* Conditional draft pick. Guaranteed at least a 4th rounder. If the NYI make the 2018 playoffs, this becomes a 3rd round pick in 2018. If the NYI reach the conference finals in the 2018 playoffs, and Mrazek plays in at least 50 percent of the playoff games, this becomes a 2nd round pick in 2018.

ANALYSIS: The Islanders have a great offense, and lousy goaltending, and are likely feeling the pressure to step up this year, prior to several players becoming free agents (especially Tavares). Mrazek has the potential to make an immediate and significant improvement. Should they fail to make the playoffs, it's only a 4th rounder, which was approximately the rumored value of Mrazek anyway. But if they make the playoffs, the price bumps up, and, if the team catches lightning in a bottle - and Petr is a significant contributor - the price bumps up again. (This degree of success would also help leverage talks with Tavares and their other pending free agents to remain in New York.)

Meanwhile, Detroit gets a pick for a player they might not be extending a QO to anyway, and there's a decent chance that it's a 3rd rounder, which is probably more than they could otherwise get for him elsewhere around the league.

I think that creative wrinkles like conditional draft picks may be what the Wings need to deal some of their targeted assets, but what does everybody think? Would that be a fair deal for both teams, should the Wings decide to shop Mrazek?

Ixnay from me.
You have to exhaust every opportunity to trade Howard before trading Mrazek.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Do people not realize that 4th round picks are nothing special at all? Why would we trade Mrazek for a 4th exactly?

Yeah, let's trade him for a player who has a 37% chance of playing 1 single NHL game, and a 14% chance of becoming an NHL regular. Take a look at 4th rounds, any given year you have 3-4 guys who you can call "NHL regulars" the other 26 are playing in the A/europe/don't even play hockey anymore.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Because while I PERSONALLY would be willing to keep him, this entire proposition is under the assumption that Holland has already written him off, and it's better to get a tolerable return for him than to let him walk for nothing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, "lousy goaltending" is overblown for the Isles.

Yes, Greiss has been a dumpster fire, which is alarming considering his salary implications for the future. However, after some rough outings early on, Halak has been much better lately.

A change in goal isn't going to help the Islanders. Any goalie has the potential to look like crap if their team allows as many shots as the Islanders do on average. In his last 6 starts, Halak is 3-1-2 after facing at least 39 shots in 5 of those games, and 47 or more in two of them...

If they're going to add some salary at the deadline, they'd be better off spending it on a couple of Dmen that can help keep those shots down.

I would also imagine they wait to see what happens with JT and Bailey before addressing goaltending in the offseason.

As far as the 4th rounder being the value thrown around for Mrazek, it probably has more to do with the potential goalie market for this upcoming deadline. Barring some kind of injury, most likely playoff teams seem to be set in goal. The Hawks might have had a need at some point, but they've slipped further out of a playoff spot and Crawford has been back at practice. They might even end up being sellers... About the only "need" for goaltending might be for depth/insurance for down the stretch and the playoffs. And for that purpose, I'm sure the Rangers would be happy to convince a team to take Pavelec for a 5th rounder.

I also doubt any NHL team views Mrazek as some longterm solution worth paying decent assets for. Especially when you consider that he could come in and just sign his QO and then hit the UFA market in a year. As far as goaltending for the future, teams might be higher on waiting till the summer to play "backup that might be ready to take a starting job" roulette (ala Talbot/Darling/Raanta) with guys like Hutton or Dell, before they trade assets for Mrazek.

I doubt Mrazek's sudden 7 start turn around has done anything to increase his trade value or the likely-hood of being traded.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if both Howard and Mrazek are still on the roster at 4PM ET on 2/26 and they wait till the offseason to figure out where to go in net.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If we deal Mrazek to the Isles, We would need to take back at least Halak. As the Isles can't afford to take on 3 goalies they definitely need D help and a goalie that's for sure.

That honestly wouldn't make much sense for the Isles if they're trying to make and/or stay in the playoffs. If they trade Halak for Mrazek, they have a $3.3M goalie that has been a dumpster fire all season, and a $4M goalie that has turned it around for 3-4 weeks after being garbage since February of 2016. Trading away Halak, who has been much better lately, would be a huge gamble if the Isles are trying to make the playoffs.

If the Wings retained on Mrazek and the Isles paid accordingly, they could carry all three and put Greiss in some lame duck spot for the rest of the year, but at this point I doubt they get rid of Halak to acquire a goalie, especially if that goalie has Petr Mrazeks NHL resume...

They'd be better offer going all in on Halak for the rest of the season and spending their cap room to get help on the blueline.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I guess there's a couple of things at play here...

Let's say you can get only a 3rd/4th from trading Mrazek, but you cannot get anything from a Howard trade. You do not plan to go into 2018-19 with both Mrazek and Howard.

Do you make the deal to let go of Mrazek, freeing up the salary, or do you hold onto him, hoping someone bites on Howard sometime between today and the RFA decision has to be made on Mrazek?

If I'm Kenny, I'm trying my best to move Howard right now, especially if Mrazek is only going to return those pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad