TV: Mr. Robot (USA Network)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What.
Is.
Happening.

I did enjoy how the young girl in the room with Angela looked exactly like her. But that whole thing was just exceedingly eerie.

I also absolutely believe that Tyrell is real, and not another version of Elliott. Two of those in the same show? No thank you. Still want to know what that address means, though :(

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not sure if Tyrell is real or not at this point. I think Tyrell absolutely was a real person in season 1, but it seems to definitely be possible that Mr. Robot killed Tyrell and he's now become Elliot's 3rd personality.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
What.
Is.
Happening.

I did enjoy how the young girl in the room with Angela looked exactly like her. But that whole thing was just exceedingly eerie.

I also absolutely believe that Tyrell is real, and not another version of Elliott. Two of those in the same show? No thank you. Still want to know what that address means, though :(

They are clearly portraying Elliot as someone with MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder). It's possible so I don't think it is excessive.

That scene was really creepy. I thought Angela had lost it. Maybe she has...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm not sure if Tyrell is real or not at this point. I think Tyrell absolutely was a real person in season 1, but it seems to definitely be possible that Mr. Robot killed Tyrell and he's now become Elliot's 3rd personality.

Maybe. But the way Tyrell's wife handled him makes me wonder. She seemed familiar with his condition and almost as though she was trying to coax Tyrell out.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So DP hints she wants to do the interview while in the hospital scene. Safe to say the interview is with Darlene.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Plausible. Who's been making those silent contacts with Joanna?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Rewatching. And I wouldn't be too sure if Darlene wasn't too. Episode 3 drops some hints to it. Then you've got BD Wong's character perhaps acting in a very similar way.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So DP hints she wants to do the interview while in the hospital scene. Safe to say the interview is with Darlene.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Darlene who survived and will be interviewed. I assume Cisco is dead.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd be shocked if it wasn't Darlene who survived and will be interviewed. I assume Cisco is dead.

Agree 100%. Cisco's face got shredded, but I think Darlene got down in time.

I was really hoping that last night's episode would open with the same scene, but from the view inside the diner where Dom, Darlene, and Cisco were talking to each other. Different angle to get that closure.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

I'm not sure it works, and it would be rehashing the same reveal that we already saw in mirroring/zero day, which is something I think Sam Esmail wants to avoid. Furthermore, Tyrell as a third split wouldn't explain how Joanna was able to get the gifts (and how she knows the meaning behind the gifts, as well as getting a burner phone). I have no choice but to think he's legitimately alive. Even if you argue that it was Elliot, then how would he even have such detailed information on the Wellicks? He can't even hack them because the information revealed is just bait, and he may have seen Joanna, but he doesn't know **** about them (doesn't show how Lady MacBeth-esque Joanna is).

Not to mention, if he is murdered and viewed as Elliot's repressed representation of Phase 2, it may be interesting, but the cost would be throwing away a character with immense potential: especially as it relates to Tyrell wanting to destroy ECorp and hold power now that he lost his job to Scott Knowles. He and Mr. Robot actually have reasons to work together, even if they have derive satisfaction differently.

As for the episode as a whole: I enjoyed Elliot's parts (especially when the flipped the roles between him and Mr. Robot in the puzzle-solving scene), and Price essentially giving the middle finger to the regulators. What I don't like is unnecessarily stopping at giving the full reason behind Angela's development. It's cheap, asinine, and ridiculous in expecting audiences to follow through with Angela's development post-Whiterose conversation without knowing why they should. Part 2 looks like it's going to be ****ing insane judging by the promo, which might help make this episode a bit more palatable (splitting the episode up instead of airing both of it as one only hurts the full story IMO).

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Also for Tyrell, it is interesting that show can show us a legit character interacting with others and we still aren't 100% sure hes real. We're getting messed with too.

Rewatching. And I wouldn't be too sure if Darlene wasn't too. Episode 3 drops some hints to it. Then you've got BD Wong's character perhaps acting in a very similar way.

Why would the Dark Army kill Darlene but not Angela, who was doing something that was getting in the way of their plans?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Also for Tyrell, it is interesting that show can show us a legit character interacting with others and we still aren't 100% sure hes real. We're getting messed with too.

Why would the Dark Army kill Darlene but not Angela, who was doing something that was getting in the way of their plans?

The target was not Darlene. And would the Dark Army know that Elliot was Darlene if they didn't know their own boss Whiterose was doing the same - they don't even really know that he/she is also part of the Chinese government, do they? Doesn't seem like it. Would Whiterose know? If so, how?

Angela was probably being watched because of her connections to E-Corp and the case. This last episode showed that Whiterose had a long history with Price and E-Corp and also the case. So she was not being looked at the same way as a hacker. Hackers are disposable. The two different worlds operate differently but both still deal in murder.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The target was not Darlene. And would the Dark Army know that Elliot was Darlene if they didn't know their own boss Whiterose was doing the same - they don't even really know that he/she is also part of the Chinese government, do they? Doesn't seem like it. Would Whiterose know? If so, how?

Angela was probably being watched because of her connections to E-Corp and the case. This last episode showed that Whiterose had a long history with Price and E-Corp and also the case. So she was not being looked at the same way as a hacker. Hackers are disposable. The two different worlds operate differently but both still deal in murder.

Touche.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
That episode didn't grip me as much as the last five or so, but looks to be setting up for a pretty strong finish

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I liked this episode quite a bit. It was fun.

Angela's scenes reminded of something David Lynch would do.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I liked this episode quite a bit. It was fun.

Angela's scenes reminded of something David Lynch would do.

It was very slow and unsettling. Made me very uncomfortable during those scenes. Probably that was their intron, so bravo.

Mind awake body asleep
Mind awake body asleep

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
All the songs in this episode, as best as I can tell, were from Back To The Future. When she was first in the van, the song on the radio was the instrumental piece that the band at the school dance was playing. When they got to the house, it was The Ballad of Davy Crockett, which was playing when Marty was first walking around 1955 Hill Valley.

I wasn't 100% sure at first on this one, but the song in the cab, when Tyrell first gets in, sounded a lot like the one that was playing in Marty's room right before Doc calls and wakes him up to get him to the mall. I pulled up Back To The Future on Netflix, and sure enough... it is: Tiny Bomb Town by Lindsey Buckingham.

Then, the as the episode ends, it was the exact rendition of Earth Angel from the movie. Not the original 50's version, but the one that ends with a bit of the Back To The Future theme blending into it:

https://youtu.be/IE6nmI1Wx1Y?t=104

What's the meaning?

EDIT: Yes, I watched BttF WAY too much as a kid.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It's a callback to earlier in the season when Angela was recalling a memory about how her and Elliott were supposed to watch Back to the Future.

Could be more, but that's definitely one part of it.

Hmmmm... I wonder if their is more to the Back to the Future theme with what Whiterose and Ecorp were doing that killed Elliot's dad and Angela's mom? Was it Time Travel???? Not likely because the show is grounded in reality.... And is about technology.

That would have happened what? 15 years ago. So the highest levels of technology today were not available. I could see some desire to upload a person into computer. Fits better then time travel.

What could Whiterose/Ecorp be doing 15 years ago that caused cancer in a community? And presumably were doing for long before that, and are still doing today?

And presumably this is the biggest "thing" going on. It involves the Chinese Government... And is a bigger deal then Ecorp itself or then $2 Trillion in Interest Free loans.

So what is this hidden project? Gotta be a high tech computer thing with all the hackers? Is it an a huge artificially intelligent computer? Is it some kind of new computer that is based on something different then is used today. Like diamonds instead of silicon or something. Quantum Computing? Or some kind of brain control that affects everyone?

Phase 2 or whatever it was called. That Elliot was in on planning as Mr. Robot could be related to this same hidden project of Whiterose. Does Elliot know about the secret plan of Whiterose? Did Elliot's dad know about it? Did Elliot's dad get fired or know he was sick from this project?

What if the project is hardwiring or messing with someone's brain? And Elliot's dad did something to Elliot that is making him hack Ecorp as revenge for making Elliot's Dad sick/firing him whatever. And all the messed up multiple personality Mr. Robot problems and obsession with hacking Elliot has is a result of his dad using the "project" to make Elliot a weapon against Ecorp/Whiterose.

His dad did this to him. And that is why the alternate persona is Mr. Robot.

Lots of speculation....

Also just thought of this. His dad leaves his job.. And then creates a computer store... Where he spends lots of time with young Elliot... So there is huge opportunity to "program" Elliot. Plus it explains why his dad got so made as to through him out a window when he told the secret about him being sick. Maybe his dad wasn't just a pyscho... But was super invested in brainwashing Elliott and revenge that Elliot revealing some secrets was a huge threat and thus the terrible overreaction.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Hmmmm... I wonder if their is more to the Back to the Future theme with what Whiterose and Ecorp were doing that killed Elliot's dad and Angela's mom? Was it Time Travel???? Not likely because the show is grounded in reality.... And is about technology.

That would have happened what? 15 years ago. So the highest levels of technology today were not available. I could see some desire to upload a person into computer. Fits better then time travel.

What could Whiterose/Ecorp be doing 15 years ago that caused cancer in a community? And presumably were doing for long before that, and are still doing today?

And presumably this is the biggest "thing" going on. It involves the Chinese Government... And is a bigger deal then Ecorp itself or then $2 Trillion in Interest Free loans.

So what is this hidden project? Gotta be a high tech computer thing with all the hackers? Is it an a huge artificially intelligent computer? Is it some kind of new computer that is based on something different then is used today. Like diamonds instead of silicon or something. Quantum Computing? Or some kind of brain control that affects everyone?

00-holding-stranger-things.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad