TV: Mr. Robot (USA Network)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I'll put this in spoilers but it's just some things I read on Reddit about potential tie ins:

[spoil]
Notice how Dom's boss is mysteriously absent quite a bit yet he's the guy to push for putting Cisco's face drawing on to the news. Maybe he works with the Dark Army and he is the one who was showing the DA who to kill and take out since Cisco is now considered a loose end. Not sure what Darlene's fate is but don't be surprised if Dom tries to save and take her somewhere to keep her away.

Also apparently those two on the train that approach Angela are in a bunch of other episodes in the background too so it seems like they've been following her for a while.
[/spoil]

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How many episodes are in this season? I went into the last ep thinking it was the season finale.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
More unreliable narrator stuff is a bit annoying. Didn't he hint to the viewer in his monologue a few episodes back that he wasn't going to keep doing it? Or did I misinterpret that? When that Dark Army guy said it was his idea, I thought "Oh, lord, not again".

The framing of the final scene was pretty cool.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
More unreliable narrator stuff is a bit annoying. Didn't he hint to the viewer in his monologue a few episodes back that he wasn't going to keep doing it? Or did I misinterpret that? When that Dark Army guy said it was his idea, I thought "Oh, lord, not again".

The framing of the final scene was pretty cool.

After mirroring in s1, Elliot mentioned that he didn't trust the audience anymore because we were hiding away what we knew about Mr. Robot (aka the reveal in mirroring). That's why the plot was reframed from a prison locale to something surreal, because it's Elliot's way of using delusion to restrict the amount of information that the audience aka imaginary friend sees. However, Phase II seems to be something that Elliot legitimately did not take part in.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
After mirroring in s1, Elliot mentioned that he didn't trust the audience anymore because we were hiding away what we knew about Mr. Robot (aka the reveal in mirroring). That's why the plot was reframed from a prison locale to something surreal, because it's Elliot's way of using delusion to restrict the amount of information that the audience aka imaginary friend sees. However, Phase II seems to be something that Elliot legitimately did not take part in.
You mean because Mr. Robot is the one who took part in it? Isn't that the same case with reframing the reality of prison as well? Elliot wasn't aware of it until Mr. Robot revealed it to him.

The Dark Army guy was confused about why he would ask about it when he was the one who came up with it. Isn't that a hint that Mr. Robot is hiding something from him, same as the prison reveal?

Last edited:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
has it been definitively proven that terrence wellick can't be a third personality?

would they do something so predictable?

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
You mean because Mr. Robot is the one who took part in it? Isn't that the same case with reframing the reality of prison as well? Elliot wasn't aware of it until Mr. Robot revealed it to him.

The Dark Army guy was confused about why he would ask about it when he was the one who came up with it. Isn't that a hint that Mr. Robot is hiding something from him, same as the prison reveal?

No, because Mr. Robot never actually reframed the reality of the prison (in fact, Mr. Robot lost his **** when Elliot pled guilty during the whole judge webcam scene). Elliot was the one who reframed the reality of the prison to cope with his decision and try to fight back against Mr. Robot, as well as limit the amount of information shown to the "imaginary friend"/audience.

And yes, this is the implication, especially when Mr. Robot disappeared after Elliot kept poking into Joanna's phone calls related to Tyrell Wellick's whereabouts. However, it isn't the same as the prison reveal as they are fundamentally different.

has it been definitively proven that terrence wellick can't be a third personality?

would they do something so predictable?

Tyrell Wellick interacted with both Elliot and Mr. Robot, as well as other characters (Philip Price, Joanna, Gideon). For him to be a "third personality", you're asking for some characters to accept the fact that a techie engineer can also play as an interim CTO/vice president of technology of a multinational conglomerate, which is unrealistic bordering on nonsense. This show is all about delusions, mental illnesses, loss of control and deterioration, but I think this is going too far. Never mind that in the beginning, Tyrell and Mr. Robot's goals fundamentally clashed with each other.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
tumblr_lwk95dZI861qh77x8.jpg

Joanna Wellick = 12 on the sexy/crazy matrix.

Stephanie Corneliussen is probably the hottest woman in Hollywood now.

She's due for the Morena Baccarin push (gets in major moves etc in her early to mid 30s).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, because Mr. Robot never actually reframed the reality of the prison (in fact, Mr. Robot lost his **** when Elliot pled guilty during the whole judge webcam scene). Elliot was the one who reframed the reality of the prison to cope with his decision and try to fight back against Mr. Robot, as well as limit the amount of information shown to the "imaginary friend"/audience.

And yes, this is the implication, especially when Mr. Robot disappeared after Elliot kept poking into Joanna's phone calls related to Tyrell Wellick's whereabouts. However, it isn't the same as the prison reveal as they are fundamentally different.
Now that you mention it, you're probably right-- I keep remembering that scene where Elliot's being beaten and Mr. Robot apologizes for turning everything into a sit-com but Elliot thanks him, and I keep relating that to the prison thing on the whole.

I do think the unreliable narrator thing is getting tedious, though.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Darlene is without a doubt alive. Not only can you see she wasn't shot, killing her would leave a big hole in the show.

My only annoyance with the show is a season without arguably the best character, Tyrell.

Last edited:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Now that you mention it, you're probably right-- I keep remembering that scene where Elliot's being beaten and Mr. Robot apologizes for turning everything into a sit-com but Elliot thanks him, and I keep relating that to the prison thing on the whole.

I do think the unreliable narrator thing is getting tedious, though.

The sitcom and the "Heisenberg" scenes (Elliot barfing the Adderalls) stand out as the only scenes in s2 where Mr. Robot actually demonstrated manipulation over Elliot.

The unreliable narrator part is pretty straight-forward, I've never really gotten confused with how Elliot's POV is portrayed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The sitcom and the "Heisenberg" scenes (Elliot barfing the Adderalls) stand out as the only scenes in s2 where Mr. Robot actually demonstrated manipulation over Elliot.

The unreliable narrator part is pretty straight-forward, I've never really gotten confused with how Elliot's POV is portrayed.
I'm not saying it's confusing, I'm saying I find it uninteresting and tedious how much focus is given to building a twist/reveal about something that either Elliot is keeping from the viewer or Mr. Robot is keeping from Elliot and the viewer (both things ultimately have the same effect). I just hope they don't keep relying on that trick, and I'm saying the Dark Army hint made me go "oh no, not this again".

Last edited:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Obviously coming into a thread about the show might skew the responses, but how is it?

I started to watch ep 1 the other day and thought it was a little slow. Kind of awkward. I've heard mixed things from people I know.

Is it worth the investment?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Obviously coming into a thread about the show might skew the responses, but how is it?

I started to watch ep 1 the other day and thought it was a little slow. Kind of awkward. I've heard mixed things from people I know.

Yes. It is one of those shows that you watch over and over again because you seemingly seem to pick up on something new each time. It however, is not a casual watch for that very reason - you actually have to pay attention.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

It is a frustrating show, in my opinion. Good in terms of overall plot and story. Very intriguing. It can be slow but I am one of those people that can enjoy slow (The Fly episode of Breaking Bad is probably one of my favourites). INSANELY good soundtrack, in my opinion, which is a big draw for me. Well placed songs too. The overall editing and visuals are very artistic and cool. The only thing to me that holds it back is the constant build and more cliffhangers. They need to understand they can explain a few things without giving away their big reveal of the season.

There is one intro that mimics and 80s sitcom and they're not afraid to do little things like that to break from their format :laugh: it's great.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It is a frustrating show, in my opinion. Good in terms of overall plot and story. Very intriguing. It can be slow but I am one of those people that can enjoy slow (The Fly episode of Breaking Bad is probably one of my favourites). INSANELY good soundtrack, in my opinion, which is a big draw for me. Well placed songs too. The overall editing and visuals are very artistic and cool. The only thing to me that holds it back is the constant build and more cliffhangers. They need to understand they can explain a few things without giving away their big reveal of the season.

There is one intro that mimics and 80s sitcom and they're not afraid to do little things like that to break from their format :laugh: it's great.

Meh, Prison Break tormented me with this. Im already used to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->