Mr. McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mama*

The game against the Finns Redden coughs up the puck as usual and McCabe bails him out. Were is this grading? Redden and Foote have been brutal. Has it ever occured to Redden that taking the body is a good defensive play?

I recall McCabe saving a goal today.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It can hardly be argued that McCabe has come in for more than his share of criticism on these boards at least.

While he has certainly garnerd a lot of unfavouable notice elsewhere, in every game day thread here there is a noisy claque of McCabe boosters who provide a halleluja chorus every time they feel he has bailed the team out, something which they appear to think happens all the time. They also rip on Redden (certainly one of the best if not the best,defencemen on the team) for all his errors,real and imagined,to avenge what they see as unfair cirticism of their hero.

In fact. McCabe has more support than any other player as he is the only member of the team with his very own cheering section that provides every other post in each of Canada's GDT's.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wholefnshow said:
mccabe should just play on the powerplay. he has the best point shot on the team, and he should play on the first pp unit as a result. the only reason he got a job on the roster was because of his great work on the PP all year, so what the hell is quinn doing now? pronger got a goal today, but he's been mediocre from the point all season. i agree with the people above in regards to team canada, they should play their strengths. mccabe on the pp is a strength, but get him out of 5 on 5 situations as he's just brutal.

I agree completely.

He's being totally missused. He should be removed from 5 on 5, and at least given a chance on the first PP unit, especially when it's a 5-on-3 and he can use his shot.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
Peter_Schaefer said:
Stop asking us to whine about the other Team Canada players, too. Every Team Canada player was poor to average in the losses, but every player for the most part was strong in the wins, that goes for Redden and Pronger. McCabe has been awful in all five games.

No one was strong today except for Brodeur. 15 shots and 2 of the 3 goals should not had gone in execpt for a bad night for Vokoum. What game were watching. :huh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His play so far has shown me that McCabe is a top level NHL player but not a World Class player. In his defense though he is use to playing very heavy minutes and it must be tough on him seeing spot duty.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
I guess no one is going to mention the goal that he saved today ... ???

OK ... Good enough ... I cannot remember who was right in front about to knock it in, when McCabe out worked the man in front, held up his stick, and swatted the puck back under Brodeur. That was when it was a 3-0 or 3-1 game.

But hey ... McCabe has not been great, but he has not been the only one not playing to their potential. I have been very disappointed with Iginla and Heatley esp. Redden looks brutal and so does Pronger ... the team is struggling.

Beating down at McCabe is silly.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
Big Mama said:
I recall McCabe saving a goal today.

Opps ... us Leafs Fans wouldn't miss that one eh Big Mama ... but everyone else ... who knows?

McCabe should be on this team and his play is not proving otherwise.

It is proving that he isn't an elite world class player, just a solid one.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
McCabe has been getting bashed way too much so far in the Olympics. He hasn't been very good but Regehr has been much worse, and several other defensemen haven't been much to write home about either. His biggest problem is that he's taking a lot of penalties, and he's visible when he does it as well.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Epsilon said:
McCabe has been getting bashed way too much so far in the Olympics. He hasn't been very good but Regehr has been much worse, and several other defensemen haven't been much to write home about either. His biggest problem is that he's taking a lot of penalties, and he's visible when he does it as well.
This statement is just patently false.

Regehr does his job. He has been the best defenceman in his own end for Team Canada.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Peter_Schaefer said:
'Far worse' is a bit exaggerated. How about versus Germany when Foote bailed out Luongo by making a save and Redden scored a goal immediately after? Redden was graded highest of the D-men after two (or was it three?) games. (McCabe was last).
Don't forget when the puck was trickling past Broduer, Mccabe was the one that tied up Hemsky's stick and prevented him from tapping the puck into an empty net.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Ronald Pagan said:

Regehr does his job. He has been the best defenceman in his own end for Team Canada.

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on both of you.

Niether Regehr nor McCabe has been good.

Big Mama*

Pilot said:
Opps ... us Leafs Fans wouldn't miss that one eh Big Mama ... but everyone else ... who knows?

McCabe should be on this team and his play is not proving otherwise.

It is proving that he isn't an elite world class player, just a solid one.

Have any Team Canada D-men looked like world class players? I've been disappointed in the play of all the D-men McCabe included. No one seems happy with the play of the defenceman. I wonder if the standards have been set too high or are their reputations overblown.

Last edited by a moderator:

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
I agree on Canada defence sucking. McCabe is deffinetly being misused. I think he should only play on the PP. Why the **** does the coaching staff think McCabe was brought on to this team? For his awesome defensive skills?

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
Big Mama said:
Have any Team Canada D-men looked like world class players? I've been disappointed in the play of all the D-men McCabe included. No one seems happy with the play of the defenceman. I wonder if the standards have been set too high or are their reputations overblown.

There is more of an adjustment period for Defensemen to the larger ice surface.

Forwards aren't coming back deep enough to recieve solid passes and the Defenders seem to be avoiding the always effective "OFF THE GLASS AND OUT" option when they're in trouble.

I think we'll get better.

Big Mama*

Pilot said:
There is more of an adjustment period for Defensemen to the larger ice surface.

Forwards aren't coming back deep enough to recieve solid passes and the Defenders seem to be avoiding the always effective "OFF THE GLASS AND OUT" option when they're in trouble.

I think we'll get better.

I agree, Quinn likes the forwards to close the gap between themselves and the defenceman so they can receive the short quick pass and transition to offence quickly. The forwards are looking for the long pass. Especially Nash.

I'm all for the "OFF THE GLASS AND OUT" option when they're in trouble.

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005
Pilot said:
I guess no one is going to mention the goal that he saved today ... ???

OK ... Good enough ... I cannot remember who was right in front about to knock it in, when McCabe out worked the man in front, held up his stick, and swatted the puck back under Brodeur.

Leafsin2006 said:
Don't forget when the puck was trickling past Broduer, Mccabe was the one that tied up Hemsky's stick and prevented him from tapping the puck into an empty net.

Hmm, funny only Leafs fans bring this up. Well, I am no Leafs fan (I hate them), and here's what I saw : Hemsky having a sure goal on his tape (Brodeur was out fishing) and McCabe stoling the puck from him and clearing the crease, and THEN another player taking a shot and McCabe blocking it and pushing the puck to Brodeur (who was still fighting with a carp).

He kind of saved the game. I'm pretty sure that if we had a real coach, McCabe would be used properly and we could all enjoy what this player can do.

We've been blanked two times in a row. You can't really blame neither McCabe or the goalies (even tho IMO Brodeur is again overrated by much - he's the one scaring the crap out of me) for the poor performances up to now.

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
mccabe on team canada is being treated the way aki berg gets treated on the leafs.

every little mistake he makes, will get blown up, but when a *better* player makes the same mistakes, or worse (see: pronger), its let go.

im not defending mccabe, but its just funny. he was getting bashed before he even stepped on the ice, and every time something doesn't work out for him, people don't hesitate to snap. its really really hard for him to get in the groove when he plays so sparingly. either give him a break, or criticize every player for making the same mistakes he does. at least give him credit for doing something useful, ie: alertly saving a near goal right in the crease.

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Dear team Canada, i'd like to aknowledge the fact that you guys are misusing poor McCabe (hint: use him on the PP!!!!). As a direct result from this, poor Bryan has been subjected to constant bashing by the HF community. It's quite funny how McCabe gets picked like a piece of carrion by vultures while pronger and Regehr get off clean. I guess no one is gonna mention his goal-saving antics today either.

signed, a hockey fan

Jaysfanatic*

shakes said:
Funny... for a team that was shut out two games in a row, it certainly doesn't seem like offence is a strong suit, much less "point" shots from those three you mentioned. Like the other poster said, it's funny how many of you think the fate of Canada rests on the 7th defenceman who gets little minutes. I'm more worried about the craptacular "performances" by Redden, Foote and Pronger

All your offense starts in your own zone, with your defensman making crisp outlet passes, that hasn't happened, the defense is held responsible in large part. Scott Niedermayer would have rectified this just by himself, of this I have no doubt, shame he was one that got injured, I think Dan Boyle would've been good to have as he does the break out pass exceptionally well.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Ronald Pagan said:

Like the give-away today leading to the first goal, the missed assignment in one of the 2-0 games or the constant mis-positioning and give-aways? He's been steady along the boards when an attacker has the puck. He hasn't moved his feet, his only good games were against teams too weak to take advantage of his misplays. Today was one of his better games and he was directly responsible for the one goal.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah Regehr gave up that first goal it was an easy enough clear. I don't hate McCabe and yes he did save a goal but his stupid penalty got us in more trouble (down 2 men) and that's how CZE scored their 1st goal. So if anything, he's even keel. Also note that almost seconds after McCabe saved a sure goal, Redden did the same, swiping the puck away from the goal line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad