Mr. McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
I know, I know...everyone's picking on poor Brian...he hasn't been that bad right?...everyone's just being a meanie. Well here's Brians stat line so far:

5 games. 0 points. -3+/- 18 PIM's. 4 Shots.

He is THE WORST in EVERY category. Except shots. Where he's 2nd worst (Foote has 3).

How do Leaf fans defend this?

Kessick

Dec 25, 2003
Hockey Universe, ON
Visit site
Many Leaf fans are well aware of Bryan's weaknesses. I'm not even a McCabe fan and I thought he had a bad game, but there are reasons for this.

If he were used properly (ie. the powerplay), he would be much more effective. Bryan's used to big time minutes, he hasn't had time to get comfortable and instead of trying to do the simple play he tries to compensate and screws up.

Anyway, the least of these teams problems are what our 7th defenseman does. Quinn will shorten the bench. I'm much more concerned about the fact that half of our forwards are nowhere to be seen.

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
McCabe is a monster on Toronto's PP because nobody else on that team has much of a point shot. Team Canada has Pronger, Blake, Richards and others with strong point shots. McCabe's strengths are pretty much already covered on Team Canada, and his weaknesses are showing more than ever.

It was a mistake putting him on the roster. Sure, the media liked sending a TML to represent Canada, but with all the old guys on defence, there was a reasonable chance of injury, and now we're paying for that with McCabe on the roster.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
Flyguy_1ca said:
I know, I know...everyone's picking on poor Brian...he hasn't been that bad right?...everyone's just being a meanie. Well here's Brians stat line so far:

He is THE WORST in EVERY category. Except shots. Where he's 2nd worst (Foote has 3).

I'm a leaf fan and I agree that he could be better but the WHOLE TEAM NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER. that's what you Bryan bashers don't get. Non of the 2 losses can be blamed on Bryan Mccabe alone, yet that's all a read about how he shouldn't be there and how he is doing this and doing that. There are 19 other players playing in front of the goalies as well and I don't see them really shining like the superstars they are supposed to be. Where's Sakic. Where's Iginla, Thornton???, Heatley???

HOW DO YOU DEFEND THEM :rant:

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
rad_sci_guy said:
I'm a leaf fan and I agree that he could be better but the WHOLE TEAM NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER. that's what you Bryan bashers don't get. Non of the 2 losses can be blamed on Bryan Mccabe alone, yet that's all a read about how he shouldn't be there and how he is doing this and doing that. There are 19 other players playing in front of the goalies as well and I don't see them really shining like the superstars they are supposed to be. Where's Sakic. Where's Iginla, Thornton???, Heatley???

HOW DO YOU DEFEND THEM :rant:

McCabe has been out of place the entire tournament, not just in the losses.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Bryan has had bad games but what I hate is that EVERYBODY picks on him and nobody points out when other defencemen/forwards do something boneheaded, like Pronger picking up dumb penalties in one of the games (don't recall which one but there was one). He can be a quarterback for the Leafs but he hasn't shown that he is great on Team Canada, I just hate how everybody picks on every little thing he does.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Peter_Schaefer said:
McCabe is a monster on Toronto's PP because nobody else on that team has much of a point shot. Team Canada has Pronger, Blake, Richards and others with strong point shots. McCabe's strengths are pretty much already covered on Team Canada, and his weaknesses are showing more than ever.

It was a mistake putting him on the roster. Sure, the media liked sending a TML to represent Canada, but with all the old guys on defence, there was a reasonable chance of injury, and now we're paying for that with McCabe on the roster.

Funny... for a team that was shut out two games in a row, it certainly doesn't seem like offence is a strong suit, much less "point" shots from those three you mentioned. Like the other poster said, it's funny how many of you think the fate of Canada rests on the 7th defenceman who gets little minutes. I'm more worried about the craptacular "performances" by Redden, Foote and Pronger

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Flyguy_1ca said:

Why must you attack Leaf fans?

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
shakes said:
Funny... for a team that was shut out two games in a row, it certainly doesn't seem like offence is a strong suit, much less "point" shots from those three you mentioned. Like the other poster said, it's funny how many of you think the fate of Canada rests on the 7th defenceman who gets little minutes. I'm more worried about the craptacular "performances" by Redden, Foote and Pronger

I don't remember saying our losses were entirely McCabe's fault. Most of the team was strong in the wins and average in the losses. McCabe has been awful in all five games, the worst player by far throughout Canada's tournament. Hey, prove me wrong, though. If McCabe is this offensive juggernaut you all say he is, let him come through in the elimination rounds and I'll sing his praise.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
BeLeafer87 said:
Bryan has had bad games but what I hate is that EVERYBODY picks on him and nobody points out when other defencemen/forwards do something boneheaded, like Pronger picking up dumb penalties in one of the games (don't recall which one but there was one). He can be a quarterback for the Leafs but he hasn't shown that he is great on Team Canada, I just hate how everybody picks on every little thing he does.

Perhaps you haven't paid attention, but there's been healthy and non-healthy criticism of every single Canadian player. The world is not against the Toronto Maple Leafs and their players.

Bruins74

IT'S CALLED BRUINS?
Oct 30, 2005
McCabe hasn't been good so far (probably the worst on the team!), but neither has the rest of the defense.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He doesn't deserve to be there. He was the coaches selection and him and Quinn deserve each other. They both have something in common. They won't be on Team Canada in 2010 in Van. Absolutely brutal coaching and a one trick pony on the back end. Dion should be at Torino!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
BeLeafer87 said:

Its what happens on any sports team. The worst player receives the most criticism. :dunno: It might not be totally fair, but that's the way it goes.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
He doesn't deserve to be there. He was the coaches selection and him and Quinn deserve each other. They both have something in common. They won't be on Team Canada in 2010 in Van. Absolutely brutal coaching and a one trick pony on the back end. Dion should be at Torino!

If he was the coaches selection, then why isn't he playing more? Since the start he's been the seventh defenceman behind a guy in Bouwmeester that was picked after him. Besides belonging to the same NHL team, nothing points to McCabe being Quinn's selection.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
This logic makes no sense to me. If anything playing on Quinn's team has been the kiss of death. Lindros, Niewy, Nolan, Belfour all came to the Leafs as olympians and none have played for Canada since becoming Leafs. Now you assume the highest scoring defenseman made the taxi-squad to please the coach?

Bryan's been awful this tournament, but there are a few things to take into account. Lack of minutes for one, like Aucoin, one of his best attributes is his endurance, which is useless here. 1 of the 3 goals scored was his fault (Italy). The others he had his man and either it was a bad goal (Brodeur/today) or Sakic didn't realize he was even strength (Germany). In the last 3 games, our team has scored 2 even strength goal, not alot of oppurtunities to make up +/- stats for a guy getting 10 minutes a game.

As bad as he's been, ragging on him makes little difference as he is a very minor part of this team. Where's the Regehr threads who has been just as awful and directly responsible for more goals. I guess his +/- is better, but playing decent minutes in blow-out games against minor opponents is more important than actually watching the games.

There's no doub McCabe's been bad, but to point to the 7th D every shift and jump on him for playing at the level of the #1-6 D-man doesn't make alot of sense to me. Sure he's had bad games, but his better games have also been against better opponents. He started very slow, and is slowly coming around, which is better than some of our D who are getting weaker as the quality of teams get better.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
McCabe shouldn't have been on the team in the first place and he has shown that loud and clear in the past week. He seems like he's in over his head at times.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
In fact McCabe has got more criticism than every other Canadian so far, (except maybe Bertuzzi), and I don't think its justified. He did take two stupid penalties today but wheres the thread for Pronger before today? or the thread for Redden? there's a reason he's the third pair.

I really think a lot of the criticism is 50% true, and 50% because he's a Toronto Maple Leaf, hence the trolling.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
Chandler55 said:
In fact McCabe has got more criticism than every other Canadian so far, (except maybe Bertuzzi), and I don't think its justified. He did take two stupid penalties today but wheres the thread for Pronger before today? or the thread for Redden? there's a reason he's the third pair.

I really think a lot of the criticism is 50% true, and 50% because he's a Toronto Maple Leaf, hence the trolling.

He's a patsy... Just call him Lee Harvey from now on.. :shakehead

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Chandler55 said:

Stop asking us to whine about the other Team Canada players, too. Every Team Canada player was poor to average in the losses, but every player for the most part was strong in the wins, that goes for Redden and Pronger. McCabe has been awful in all five games.

wholeshow*

mccabe should just play on the powerplay. he has the best point shot on the team, and he should play on the first pp unit as a result. the only reason he got a job on the roster was because of his great work on the PP all year, so what the hell is quinn doing now? pronger got a goal today, but he's been mediocre from the point all season. i agree with the people above in regards to team canada, they should play their strengths. mccabe on the pp is a strength, but get him out of 5 on 5 situations as he's just brutal.

Big Mama*

Peter_Schaefer said:
McCabe has been out of place the entire tournament, not just in the losses.

The Redden-Foote duo has been far worse. Everytime they are on the ice the goalie has to make a spectacular save.

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Big Mama said:
The Redden-Foote duo has been far worse. Everytime they are on the ice the goalie has to make a spectacular save.

'Far worse' is a bit exaggerated. How about versus Germany when Foote bailed out Luongo by making a save and Redden scored a goal immediately after? Redden was graded highest of the D-men after two (or was it three?) games. (McCabe was last).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad