Mr Bugg's Top 30 Mock Draft/Guide

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
This is like a Habs fan nightmare, the Kessel pick traded to Toronto, Staal to Boston and Sanguinetti who would provide David Wilke/Ron Hainsey flashbacks to Habs fan (although I'd be perfectly fine with Sangui falling to us after seeing him a couple of times) as our pick.

A very good read though. Nice work.

edit: Shouldn't Anaheim be picking 19th? I think you mixed up the SJ and ANA draft positions.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
KStewart113 said:
No offence...but are you a Leafs fan?

An Edmonton fan.

And I'm amused by the rumblings that Toronto has nothing that Chicago wants. Are we talking about the same team that has virtually no goaltending prospects? I can think of 2 players that Toronto owns that Chicago could trade down for. Nothing is unheard of. Will it happen? Most likely no, but it's still an entertaining read. Thanks man.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
First of all a TREMENDOUS mock...the best I have read on these boards :clap:

Some things to critique, I think some of the stats are wrong but who knows with that stuff just a minor deal. I don't think Shutron will be a first round pick and I think Little will be a higher pick and a higher point producer. Also, you pointed out EJs footwork as a flaw, I have read that his footwork is a great assest to his game?

Like Bluenote hockey said I really like the picks you have for the Blues, although I would not be surprised to see the Blues trade down. Great mock.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
-31- said:
The strengths of the Rangers organizationlly are in goal on defense and in bottom six forwards. They have a crying need for top line offensive talent. If players like [Tukonen and Olesz] are on the board, I serious doubt the Rangers would select a [goalie] who projects to be no more than what they currently have in the system - [Lundqvist and Blackburn] both qualify as potential [starting goalies]. It is no secret the Rangers not only have a crying need for a first line forward, but, they have made it known they want a first line center. If [Tukonen] is on the board, he smacks as a Christer Rockstrom-type pick. I would be shocked if the Rangers took [Montoya] over him.

That would all fine and dandy, but, you left out information. Unlike defense this year, where we have Tytuin already established, with Staal and Pock possibilities to make next year's squad, and Sauer and Baranka not that far behind, the goalie situation in 2004 was a very clouded picture. There was the unknown (to the public) extent of Blackburn's injury, whyile the Rangers were not yet convinced they would bringing over Lundqvist. Plus, Montoya was projected as the best goalie on the board in most places. Shutron does not project as the possible elite talent that Montoya did.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
jas said:
That would all fine and dandy, but, you left out information. Unlike defense this year, where we have Tytuin already established, with Staal and Pock possibilities to make next year's squad, and Sauer and Baranka not that far behind, the goalie situation in 2004 was a very clouded picture. There was the unknown (to the public) extent of Blackburn's injury, whyile the Rangers were not yet convinced they would bringing over Lundqvist. Plus, Montoya was projected as the best goalie on the board in most places. Shutron does not project as the possible elite talent that Montoya did.

I thought Blackburn retired. I read that NHL.com article about using 2 blockers, and I thought later in the season he retired. :dunno:

Transported Upstater

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I will run through South Beach, naked, while screaming "Go Leafs Go" if we manage to snag Phil Kessel.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
blackburn did retire. he is just talking about how in that draft we were all clamoring for a offensive prospect and we picked montoya. all fans were shooked. so he is saying it could happen again.

but i agree...o man first.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Great job as always Mr Bugg. Has to be tough sledding with no Oil pick but never fear they'll trade into the 25-40 range I'd bet.

Transported Upstater

Lowetide said:
Great job as always Mr Bugg. Has to be tough sledding with no Oil pick but never fear they'll trade into the 25-40 range I'd bet.

Somehow, given your playoff run, Oilers fans are probably not dissapointed :D

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
jas said:
of course not, it's pick 20, not pick 6. I'm just saying that if you think the Rangers will pass on a defenseman that they really like because he's a defenseman, you're ignoring history.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Not the best mock, but not the worst.

Good layout, but where's the heights/weights?

Toronto trade is just puzzling and makes this mock
seem a little screwy. Also, the Blackhwaks can afford to move down???

Not a whole lot of faults to these players, they all sound like winners
according to you.

Also, you talk alot about team needs and what not, but I doubt that every team will draft on need, holes to fill.

Keep at it, you'll get it right ;)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bluenote13 said:
Not the best mock, but not the worst.

Good layout, but where's the heights/weights?

I'm sorry, but are you serious?

The guy takes the time to put the assets and flaws, plus his opinion of peak potential in each player, and you want more? Information which can quickly be looked up anyways.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
-31- said:
of course not, it's pick 20, not pick 6. I'm just saying that if you think the Rangers will pass on a defenseman that they really like because he's a defenseman, you're ignoring history.

Well, I hope I can say they'd pass on Shutron solely becuase he's not worth it there.

We wouldn't pass over Fischer for Shutron.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
-31- said:

No, I'm actually saying the Rangers would pass on Shutron based upon the perceptions made by the author of this mock draft.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
King'sPawn said:
I'm sorry, but are you serious?

The guy takes the time to put the assets and flaws, plus his opinion of peak potential in each player, and you want more? Information which can quickly be looked up anyways.

Well, thats my point, if you're putting in the kitchen sink you might as well tell someone what these measurements are, no?

I could do without the 'peak potential' ratings, thats always a gray area, not even the 'experts' can get accurate, no?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bluenote13 said:
Well, thats my point, if you're putting in the kitchen sink you might as well tell someone what these measurements are, no?

I guess I see things differently.

Oceanic39*

Nice job.

However...

Lacking in every position on the farm, the Lightning need the most help up front. Very few of their forward prospects have a hope of cracking the NHL, making gambles necessary.

Where'd you pull that one from?

Tampa's farm put three regulars onto the NHL club THIS year, when none were supposed to make it: Paul Ranger (2nd most minutes logged among D by end of the year), Ryan Craig (15 goals in under 50 games), and Evgeni Artyukhin (mammoth grinder). All will open next year with the Lightning, when they will likely add prospect Nick Tarnasky to their lower lines.

Few have a chance to make the NHL?

Stan Lascek was 2nd in Q scoring, Justin Keller led the WHL in goals, Blair Jones was dominant for Moose Jaw and was 6th in WHL scoring, Radek Smolenak among top-10 OHL scorers for Kingston and Marek Kvapil, after a slow start as a very young AHLer, nearly hit 20 goals as a pro rookie on bad AHL club.

(spare the stats don't equal nhl time stuff, it's true in some cases, I know, but tiresome when thrown out blindly)

They also have a couple of Euros they're high on in net what were among statistical leaders in their respective men's leagues: Karri Ramo and Vasily Koshechkin.

TB could use another sniper on the farm (which is not at the top of futures rankings), yes, but let's not get goofy here.

Thanks again for your work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad