Moving to Calgary

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Hello there guys,
My fiance and I are moving to Calgary and while she's doing a whole bunch of research on where to live and what to do, I thought I'd come here and ask for your opinions...

I grew up in Vancouver, but I've been living and working in Alberta for over a year now. I work about 3 hours north west of Edmonton and live in a small town. The woman and I have been doing the long distance thing since I moved out, and every month or two, I'll go down and see her for a couple weeks or so... Our plan was for her to leave her government job and find something in Edmonton, so I would only have a 2.5/3 hour drive to see her and could do it on my days off. I work 12 hours a day and get lots of days off, If I don't work overtime.

Problem is, she hated Edmonton and I'm not a big fan of it either. The people were definitely friendlier and more down to earth than the Vancouverites we're used to.:laugh: We just didn't think Edmonton was very nice (aesthetically at least..)

We decided that Calgary would be a better option and she likes Calgary significantly more! Found out today that she got the awesome job she really wanted and now it's time to pack up and move. I'll stay at my current job and then find something in Calgary in the near future, because it's much easier in my field to dictate where I want to go and where I want to live.

What are the "good parts of town?" I believe her office is in the southwest so somewhere close to there would be good I guess. She's also alright with commuting up to 30 min. if she has too. I'd obviously prefer the north because my commute is close to 6 hours, so Airdrie would be a good fit for me. In the end, I want to make sure she's comfortable; I can adapt and deal with a bit of a longer drive, if you guys tell me that the best areas are in the south.

I wont be there with her every day, I'll be up in my town for a few days, and then drive back down to Calgary for my days off, so I want to make sure she's in a safe area, especially because we don't know anyone there. I'm ready to buy a house in Calgary, but with the markets dropping and the uncertainty of a brand new city, we might wait a year or so before buying. For that reason, and to save more I want to keep rent down as low as possible while still having a good place. Whatever that number may be, we're willing to pay it as long as its reasonable. We just want a nice, newer 1 bedroom apartment. We figure that it would be a waste of money to spend more and rent something we don't really need. I'd rather just save that extra money and put more down on the house..

I'm also big into quadding and would love to have some information on where I can ride. I know of Mclean Creek, but what else is out there?

I'd appreciate any help or information you guys are willing to give about your city. Thanks a lot:cheers:

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
This advice is probably better for when you look into buying...

I grew up in SW Calgary in the neighbourhoods just south of the Glenmore Reservoir, it was a great area to grow up in. Far enough but not too far from downtown, everything you need is close by, nice older houses (not a fan of the new cookie-cutter neighbourhoods with like a foot of space in between each house).

Down in here, tucked between the reservoir and fish creek, you can find places to live in every price range, from the super-rich to the not-so-much:

http://goo.gl/maps/L2FuE

Now if you want to be a bit closer to the action you should live closer to downtown, this just depends on your lifestyle and priorities.

I'm also a fan of the Lake Bonavista/Bonaventure area, usually more pricey but there are some cheaper options in there if you get lucky. Plus lake access.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Where exactly in the SW is your fiance working? SW is pretty big and your commute could still be long depending where you live. Like the first poster said about Bonavista, I grew up there. Its safe but no apartments really except this place. Link shows a couple of places for rent. http://www.rentfaster.ca/lake-bonavista-condo-for-rent/

It doesn't really make a difference if your driving 6 hours back to Calgary and have to go to the south. Airdrie to South Calgary down Deerfoot can be a half hour drive if it isn't rush hour.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Also consider that 3/4 of the ring road will be done by November as well, which could make the deep south (Midnapore, Shawnessy, Bridlewood, etc.) viable options, as it will give a viable rush hour option for your commute to points north.

This may or may not be a concern, but the further east you go the more pollution is in the air (look at the city from the south during a Chinook and you'll see the yellow haze to which I refer) If allergies or asthma are a concern, I'd attempt to stay west of Deerfoot Trail, and as far west as practical.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
If you're going to drive 6 hours for work anyways, whats an extra 30 minutes? Say no to Airdrie and just go into the SW.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Hey guys, thanks for the the replies!
We blindly rented an appartment on sommervale and are paying around $1350 in rent. The area is nice, but is a 45 min. drive to work for my lady.

We're having a real hard time trying to find places that allow a cat. Both of us do quite well for ourselves but I still can't bring myself to pay anymore than $1400. The housing prices in Calgary are waaay cheaper than it is in Vancouver, but the rental market is pretty fierce and it seems to be more expensive for what you get. My lady in Vancouver was paying $950/mo for a place that is a whole lot better than the one she's in right now!

I'm tempted to just buy a house, but I wan't to make sure that she likes it here and we can commit long term. I just hate renting and can't see myself paying $2000+ when I can buy a nice house paying only a grand more a month for a mortgage.

I've tired rentfaster.ca, craigslist and kijiji and the options are pretty limited for places that will allow a cat. If anyone has any ideas on where to go that would be great. My woman works on 25th st. SE

Thanks guys

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Hey guys, thanks for the the replies!
We blindly rented an appartment on sommervale and are paying around $1350 in rent.

As many others have said - for that kind of rent buy a house.

A long time ago I used to live 3 hours northwest of Edmonton (You must have been in the Fox Creek area) and enjoyed the place. Calgary was quite the culture shock but we moved into the north part of the city (On the advice of friends living in the SW) and we have never regretted it.

If you do look to buy a house try the neighbourhoods in the area between Centre Street and Deerfoot. Avoid the infills (POS and oversized and right on top of your neighbours) and try to find a solid little bungalow.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Housing prices are decent right now and expected to rise through the year, if you gonna buy, should do it quick.

I just bought in Rocky Ridge :)

Mortgage and interest rates are quite low too right now, good time to lock in.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Yep. If you can afford to do it, and you are staying long term there is no reason not to.

Yeah, might just have to go ahead and do it. The place she is in right now has given her till the 15th to decide, otherwise the landlord wants a 1 year lease. Even if I do buy a house, she wont be able to move in for March 1st, it'll be a few months before we could get into a home we bought, but at the same time, I'll be on the hook for paying out the balance of the rental lease.:p:

Options will most definitely be limited if you have a cat.

Either turf the cat (bad karma) or buy a house/condo (good solid investment).

Decision seems simple to me.

Yeah right, turf the cat. I go before the cat goes!!
it's not that simple of a decision, I have a week left to decide whether or not I want to sign a year lease for this place we're renting, or to move on. Like I said earlier, I can't buy a house and move in for March 1st.

As many others have said - for that kind of rent buy a house.

A long time ago I used to live 3 hours northwest of Edmonton (You must have been in the Fox Creek area) and enjoyed the place. Calgary was quite the culture shock but we moved into the north part of the city (On the advice of friends living in the SW) and we have never regretted it.

If you do look to buy a house try the neighbourhoods in the area between Centre Street and Deerfoot. Avoid the infills (POS and oversized and right on top of your neighbours) and try to find a solid little bungalow.

Yep, I work in the Fox Creek area, and while I like small towns, Fox Creek is a hole full of transients. It's a crappy oil town, I like Whitecourt better.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yep, I work in the Fox Creek area, and while I like small towns, Fox Creek is a hole full of transients. It's a crappy oil town, I like Whitecourt better.

I didn't live there (I lived farther up the road - so I guess I can afford to be snobbish about this :D) but have heard the exact same things said by just about everyone.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
You might have an easier time to find a basement suite that will accept a cat than you would an apartment from a rental company. Plus if you decide to buy a house, it'll let you save up a bit as the rent should be a bit cheaper.

With the rent many seem to be paying a person would be able to buy a decent house.

dayoldhate2

Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, AB
I used to live in Braeside. Very SW but not a bad spot. Clost to Fish Creek park and easy enough to get to Deerfoot to head back to what I assume is Cold Lake (I grew up there and lived there for 18 years). The drive is brutal between Cold Lake and Calgary though. So boring.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
Try the shawnessy/ somerset area. Friendliest neighbourhood in calgary plus it has the lowest crime rate . But really it depends we're your fiancé works because sw calgary is pretty big and can often take while to get from point a to point b if there's rush hour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad