OT: Movie thread

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Now there's an overlooked gem. An Mexican Gray Whale soldier left over from the War of Northern Whalers, whose entire pod had been harpooned by ruthless red-legged bandits--wandering the Western seas looking for peace. Along the way, being chased by a band of Red Legged fiends, he sends his enemies on Nantucket boat rides and finds friends in the unlikeliest of oceans. Full of great lines and great scenery...a true classic fully enjoyed while sipping a nice Anejo.

Auto Fail

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just got back. OMG. It wasn't perfect on the whole, took too long to really get going, but it was the Star Wars movie I've always wanted to see. I know a lot of purists won't like it, the mythos is not all that present, but to me that makes it more relatable. And that ending, wow, I can't even. It was so perfect.

Reactions: Unsustainable

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
Like the other guys said, it took some time to get going, but the last ~45 minutes were unbelievable. Right there with the original movies, for my money.

I agree that it took a long time to get going, and it sort of rolled over on itself trying to build backstory. But I think that's where it lost me, and I kinda' gave up on the characters. Also agree that the end was pretty frothy, but by then I think I'd checked out.

It won't be the last time I'm standing by myself when the room divides. :(

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It won't be the last time I'm standing by myself when the room divides. :(

I know that feel.

I won't argue with anybody who doesn't like it for that reason, or the lack of characterization, or the purists for the lack of all the Force/Jedi mystical stuff. I can see those weaknesses, objectively speaking. They just don't bother me as much.

Having said that, Ep. IV has a lot of the same issues. The characters were pretty thinly drawn. You've got a naive farmboy, a damsel in distress, an outlaw with a heart, an old wizard, a masked villain....it's all archetypal and that informs us who the characters are, but that's an easy trick to disguise the fact that there really isn't much depth of character going on there.

And outside of the amazeballs opening scene of the Star Destroyer chasing Tantive IV, there isn't much of an action scene until literally halfway through the movie when the Imperials find them in the detention unit and the gunfight starts.

And it should be noted that original reviews and returns on that movie were not very good. I think Rogue One is similar in a lot of ways in that it is a slow grower. Once you see what happens in the end, you're more likely to care about the characters, so that the next time you watch it you're more engaged in the backstory/buildup stuff.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Rogue One was pretty good

That's good to hear. I'm going to try and see it with my kids over the holidays. But first, we need to do our Christmas Tradition where we watch one of the best Christmas movies.....Die Hard. We've been doing it for years and looking forward to it tomorrow.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
If John Wick had 12 dogs and someone killed them all I'm pretty sure we would all die.

i would live because i would assemble an elite cadre of body guards including the sorcerer's apprentice, castor troy, ghost rider, and w/e the **** his character was in that werewolf movie i forget the name of... or wait, was he a vampire? i forget :huh:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
i would live because i would assemble an elite cadre of body guards including the sorcerer's apprentice, castor troy, ghost rider, and w/e the **** his character was in that werewolf movie i forget the name of... or wait, was he a vampire? i forget :huh:

John Wick was a documentary so I don't think any of that fake magic **** would help you.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
John Wick was a documentary so I don't think any of that fake magic **** would help you.

castor ****ing troy

castor-troy-o.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad