Most unlikely NHL Regular Season Record to ever break...

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Not relative to the thread, and I don't want to get in trouble, but I can't resist this....I'm gonna going to start calling the golfer Phil Mickelson Bill Mikkelson. I know I'm about 5 but I can't help it!

Reactions: Killion

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sam Gagner a few years back did hit 8. Not a memorable player by any means, so it can happen with one of those fluke games. Although it is noteworthy that we went through the Lemieux and Gretzky era without so much as a 9 point game so maybe Sittler's 10 point game is safe for now.

Sittler's ten point game was boosted, in large part, by a lousy goaltender who could not be pulled.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sittler's ten point game was boosted, in large part, by a lousy goaltender who could not be pulled.

Still did it against a very good team though. Either way, I don't care if it was against the Kansas City Scouts, the fact no one in 100 years has touched it means something.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Sittler was even laughing about the absurdity of some of the goals Bruin goalie Dave Reece let in.......

Needless to say, Reece never played another NHL game after that......

Cheevers and Gilbert both injured at the time....

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio played 1353 regular season games together. That is hard to beat. Sedin's did get a season away (they'll be 1276 games after the final two games of this season) so some duo could in theory catch Howe/Delvecchio but would require atleast 17 seasons together and good health for both players.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That Mikkelson thing... good grief. I think it was mentioned already, but he "achieved" the -82 in only 59 games. I don't know which specific games he missed, but since Washington was horror-bad the entire season, would it make any difference? Thus, we could project his -82 into the full 80 game season and he was "on pace" for -111. *

:eek:

I don't even know what to say about that.

Even funnier is that two years prior, with the Islanders, Mikkelson had gone -54, and, quite understandably, was not allowed to play in the NHL in 1973-74. So, in fact, in two consecutive seasons, Mikkelson went -136 and did it it only 131 games.

At some point, you have to wonder if you've picked the right sport.

*It should be noted, however, that Mikkelson's teammate was rookie defenceman Greg Joly, who somehow managed to go -68 (second worst on team) in only 44 games. That's got to be some kind of record for per-game "plus/minus futility".

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio played 1353 regular season games together. That is hard to beat. Sedin's did get a season away (they'll be 1276 games after the final two games of this season) so some duo could in theory catch Howe/Delvecchio but would require atleast 17 seasons together and good health for both players.

i wonder if factoring in two lockouts for the sedins vs shorter seasons for howe and delvecchio makes the gap bigger or smaller

but of course howe and fats are the rightful winners here, because they played more playoff games even though their postseasons together were almost exclusively in the two round era.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
i wonder if factoring in two lockouts for the sedins vs shorter seasons for howe and delvecchio makes the gap bigger or smaller

Howe and Delvecchio played 20 seasons together for the Red Wings. Had those seasons been 82 games in length as is the case today, that would have been another potential 218 games played together for them. Sedins missed a possible 116 games due to lockouts.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Howe and Delvecchio played 20 seasons together for the Red Wings. Had those seasons been 82 games in length as is the case today, that would have been another potential 218 games played together for them. Sedins missed a possible 116 games due to lockouts.

That said longer seasons also makes for more wear and in theory it is alot more likely that a player get hurt.
FWIW I dont really see that record as unbreakable and think it is just a matter of time.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sittler was even laughing about the absurdity of some of the goals Bruin goalie Dave Reece let in.......

Needless to say, Reece never played another NHL game after that......

Cheevers and Gilbert both injured at the time....

Cheevers wasn't injured at the time, but he had just returned to Boston from the WHA and wasn't dressed for that game. Reece had been told before the game began that he was being sent back to the American Hockey League so the Bruins could officially activate Cheevers and add him to their roster, so even if he hadn't had an evening of record setting futility, he was going back down.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Cheevers wasn't injured at the time, but he had just returned to Boston from the WHA and wasn't dressed for that game. Reece had been told before the game began that he was being sent back to the American Hockey League so the Bruins could officially activate Cheevers and add him to their roster, so even if he hadn't had an evening of record setting futility, he was going back down.

.... ah... ah.... memory a little hazy there perhaps Ferris....
www.nhl.com/news/darryl-sittler-10-point-game/c-278406152

Reactions: Howie Hodge

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
.... ah... ah.... memory a little hazy there perhaps Ferris....
www.nhl.com/news/darryl-sittler-10-point-game/c-278406152

So he wasn't injured, had just returned from the WHA, but *was* dressed. I guess Gilbert's injury time was coming to an end, 'cause Reece has said he was told before the game he was being sent back down to the minor leagues. If not to make room for Cheevers being added to the lineup, it must have been to re-activate Gilbert.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So he wasn't injured, had just returned from the WHA, but *was* dressed. I guess Gilbert's injury time was coming to an end, 'cause Reece has said he was told before the game he was being sent back down to the minor leagues. If not to make room for Cheevers being added to the lineup, it must have been to re-activate Gilbert.

Ya. Cheevers was dressed, sitting there on the end of the bench, not making eye contact with anyone, towel over his head... letting Reece hang for it. I wasnt there, didnt see it, vaguely remember watching it on TV but reading accounts years later.... stuck in my brain, that what a quite literally "Cheezy" thing to do to a guy, teammate & fellow member of the Goaltending Fraternity. I dont care if your coming off a flight, have the flu, are hungover or whatever, your dressed as a backup you have the guys back. He's having problem's, you scrape yourself up off the bench, pull yourself together, get in there. Cheevers work ethic was always pathetic but that, that was a new low even for him so ya, when I read about it, stuck with me.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ya. Cheevers was dressed, sitting there on the end of the bench, not making eye contact with anyone, towel over his head... letting Reece hang for it. I wasnt there, didnt see it, vaguely remember watching it on TV but reading accounts years later.... stuck in my brain, that what a quite literally "Cheezy" thing to do to a guy, teammate & fellow member of the Goaltending Fraternity. I dont care if your coming off a flight, have the flu, are hungover or whatever, your dressed as a backup you have the guys back. He's having problem's, you scrape yourself up off the bench, pull yourself together, get in there. Cheevers work ethic was always pathetic but that, that was a new low even for him so ya, when I read about it, stuck with me.

Don Cherry has said, when talking about the game, that he had no intention of putting Gerry in because he wanted to have Cheevers make his "return" start the following game in Boston in front of the home crowd. Reece has also said, on multiple occasions, that he told Cherry he didn't want out of the game because he felt he should "finish what he started."

That being said, Cherry also has said that every time he looked down the bench Cheevers wouldn't make eye contact.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Not only Did Bill Mosienko score three goals in 21 seconds, but Gus Bodnar assisted on all three goals. Two records were set that probably wont be broken.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...Reece has also said, on multiple occasions, that he told Cherry he didn't want out of the game because he felt he should "finish what he started."

Indeed. Thing is... that wasnt or shouldnt be a Goaltenders decision to be making. Its not a question of "finishing what you started", its a question of who's in charge, who's running the team. If a goalie is clearly having a rough night, fighting the puck, getting lit up like that, you'd pull the guy would you not? Or do you just leave the poor sap out there, a rookie at that to have his confidence completely destroyed?

We all saw & remember Roys' meltdown & he certainly wasnt a rookie at the time, incensed that he was left in when clearly he was having an off night & that can happen. When it does, being pulled while disappointing, that you let your teammates & yourself down is standard procedure. Arguing about it, that you "wanna finish what I started Coach" should never come in to play regardless of who you are, how big the rep. No shame in going to the bench early in the first after letting in a couple or 3 softies & if not pulled to tell the Coach your having problems, might be a good idea to switch up here. You want that in a Goalie. Objective & open communication.

Your only as good as your next save & if your not stopping them, buh bye. Take a seat on the bench, lick your wounds & get your head together for the next game. Cheevers being "saved" so he could start fresh at home? Gimme a break. Cheevers & Cherry at fault. Had Cheevers gone in & he too gets lit up? Switch them up again, put Reece back in, hopefully by then, with some time to breathe, rest, has his head together enough to finish the game with some saves, his sense of dignity & self worth somewhat repaired. Not entirely intact but in better shape than what it was.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dave Reece never played another NHL game after that; true or false?

We both know the answer.

Your habit of trying to be a "precisionist"is unbecoming.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

We both know the answer.

.... Dave Reece alas, never did play another NHL game, and after being sent back down played one more season in the minors before retiring... and no... I dont think that situation was at all pretty nor was it fair... given that until that point, that game, he'd gone something like 7-4-2 with the Bruins, winning 7 straight. Inexplicably, they tell the guy he's going down BEFORE the games even started, real nice gut punch for a guy who came up the hard way, never playing Jr, college hockey at Vermont, played for Team USA in 72, a few years riding the buses then when he gets the chance, did extremely well with the Bruins.....

Compounding matters after the game, the never classy Darryl Sittler cracks off with "I hear Dave Reece tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train, only the train went through his legs".... something for Dave to read in the papers as the sycophantic Toronto media got a real chortle outta that one... Reece the butt of off color jokes, became "a joke", always asked about it thereafter & why?... Because Cherry was "saving" Cheevers for his "return, debut entrance at the Gahden" & Cheevers who knew better watched from the bench as a goalies dreams & career gets shattered, were shattered before he'd even stepped on the ice that night. Cherry considered himself "a players Coach". So much so it ultimately cost him his job in Boston yet how do you explain that kind of insensitivity, sheer stupidity? And just look at how he treated Hardy Astrom (and others) in Colorado, pretty much wrecked his career as well. Cheevers, at times a selfish prima dona with an over inflated sense of self worth.

As for Reece... he majored in Political Science & Education at Vermont, went on to teach & Coach in New Hampshire I believe... must be retired by now..... saw something on him about all of this awhile back... some comments from some of his students & those he coached... that he was a great guy... never spoke much about that night of infamy in Toronto (and remember too, broadcast coast-coast, HNIC a big deal for players, Maple Leaf Gardens or the Forum in particular, 2 - old 06 rivals) which I think says much in & of itself.... other comments from Bruins fans who watched that game, that they were apoplectic, couldnt understand why he wasnt pulled just as any straight thinking fan would have. How disappointed they were in Cherry & Cheevers..... Unfortunately Howie, hockey is full of such stories. We dont talk about them much here, usually only "the good stuff", the Glory Boys, Lines & Teams, Great Goaltending Performances & so on. But yes, as you know, dark side to the game. Of injustices, careers siderailed needlessly, NHL capable players buried in the minors... on & on & on.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
.... Dave Reece alas, never did play another NHL game, and after being sent back down played one more season in the minors before retiring... and no... I dont think that situation was at all pretty nor was it fair... given that until that point, that game, he'd gone something like 7-4-2 with the Bruins, winning 7 straight. Inexplicably, they tell the guy he's going down BEFORE the games even started, real nice gut punch for a guy who came up the hard way, never playing Jr, college hockey at Vermont, played for Team USA in 72, a few years riding the buses then when he gets the chance, did extremely well with the Bruins.....

Compounding matters after the game, the never classy Darryl Sittler cracks off with "I hear Dave Reece tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train, only the train went through his legs".... something for Dave to read in the papers as the sycophantic Toronto media got a real chortle outta that one... Reece the butt of off color jokes, became "a joke", always asked about it thereafter & why?... Because Cherry was "saving" Cheevers for his "return, debut entrance at the Gahden" & Cheevers who knew better watched from the bench as a goalies dreams & career gets shattered, were shattered before he'd even stepped on the ice that night. Cherry considered himself "a players Coach". So much so it ultimately cost him his job in Boston yet how do you explain that kind of insensitivity, sheer stupidity? And just look at how he treated Hardy Astrom (and others) in Colorado, pretty much wrecked his career as well. Cheevers, at times a selfish prima dona with an over inflated sense of self worth.

As for Reece... he majored in Political Science & Education at Vermont, went on to teach & Coach in New Hampshire I believe... must be retired by now..... saw something on him about all of this awhile back... some comments from some of his students & those he coached... that he was a great guy... never spoke much about that night of infamy in Toronto (and remember too, broadcast coast-coast, HNIC a big deal for players, Maple Leaf Gardens or the Forum in particular, 2 - old 06 rivals) which I think says much in & of itself.... other comments from Bruins fans who watched that game, that they were apoplectic, couldnt understand why he wasnt pulled just as any straight thinking fan would have. How disappointed they were in Cherry & Cheevers..... Unfortunately Howie, hockey is full of such stories. We dont talk about them much here, usually only "the good stuff", the Glory Boys, Lines & Teams, Great Goaltending Performances & so on. But yes, as you know, dark side to the game. Of injustices, careers siderailed needlessly, NHL capable players buried in the minors... on & on & on.
Tell that to Andy Hebenton..... :thumbu:

Or Heb Carnegie....

So true Killian, so true....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Most points by a Goaltender in a Regular Season.... 14..... Grant Fuhr while with the Oilers.... Most career, Tom Barrasso with 48 in less than 400 GP, runner up's with 45 & + being.... Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy... so unless the hockey intelligentsia such as its not starts teaching Goaltenders to learn how to not only skate properly but to be strong on their skates BEFORE they even strap on the pads, strong with their sticks, gets rid of these idiot & frankly potentially dangerous rules theyve introduced, trapezoid etc & encourages roaming again....

Reactions: brachyrynchos

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

We both know the answer.

Huh?

What are you talking about? Killion and I were talking about whether Cheevers was injured, not dressed or dressed and on the bench. What does whether Reece ever dressed again have to do with anything?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
1928-29 season, George Hainsworth registers 22 regular season shutouts. Nobody is remotely close.

Perhaps even more mind blowing is that Hainsworth finished that season with 22 wins — every single one a shutout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->