Most underrated prospects in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
The two most underrated NHL prospects in my opinion are Alexander Semin (a pure offensive talent) and Tomas Plekanec.

thestonedkoala

Fritsche is underrated I agree. Three titanium screws in his shoulders though didn't help.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
Why is Trevor Byrne not a future top 3 D?

What is a TOP 3 D for you ?

Too many people project a prospect as a #1 D & they pan out as a good #2 or #3, so it's not a knock on any prospect but TOP 3 NHL D is a very good prospect such like Coburn, Phaneuf & Probably Barker. There other too, I just mention those names.

Trevor Byrnes what he did in his game (not only stats) to tell you that he belongs in the future top 3 & being underrated ?

degroat*

Russian Fan said:
Trevor Byrnes what he did in his game (not only stats) to tell you that he belongs in the future top 3 & being underrated ?

I'm simply going on the word of a poster from this board (210) that has a proven track record as far as evaluating prospects that he sees often. So, until I hear something from someone else who sees him regularly that suggests he doesn't have top 3 potential, I'm going to go by what he tells me.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I really like Alexander Semin I think he don't have the reconation he deserve. others are Marc-Antoine Pouliot and Petr Vrana, they were the Leader of the Oceanics and MooseHeadsand because they were injured there is almost no hype surrounding them, i think they're gonna be something special.
Finnaly two goalies David LeNeveu and Jeff D-Deslauriers, everyone wants edmonton to draft a goalie wth the 14th pick this year, why ? Jeff have star potential no need to use a pick on goalies so early when you have a good base, sme thing with Carolina last year, some wanted them to trade up to get Fleury, but hey had the best goalies in the CHL in Cam Ward..

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
I'm simply going on the word of a poster from this board (210) that has a proven track record as far as evaluating prospects that he sees often. So, until I hear something from someone else who sees him regularly that suggests he doesn't have top 3 potential, I'm going to go by what he tells me.

It's still a board where we can put our opinions on it. I never claim to be an expert but I think I have a clear opinion on what is a TOP 3 D. Also every year we hear that the 1st D coming out of the last 4-5 draft is the NEXT PRONGER. It's not a knock on the 1st very good D that will be draft this year or the last 3-4 years but a Chris Pronger does not come in every draft year.

So Trevor Byrne can better than I expect but the main point is how he's that underrated ? I think he is where he should be as of today.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I apollogize in advance for the butchering of names

Sean Bergenheim, James Wisniewski, Noah Welch, Christian Ehrhoff, Antero Niittymaki

PEli*

Stich said:
A primadonna that scores 1.6 PPG?

Yes.

Stich said:
A player with a crappy attitude that scores 1.6 PPG?

Uh-huh.

Stich said:
A distraction on the ice that scores 1.6 PPG?

Yes.

Stich said:
Sorry, but you dont produce that much without a pretty consistant effort and plenty of icetime from a coach you say he has a crappy attitude towards.

Yes, you do. Especially when you're a talented player playing in a wide open system with linemates of comparable talent.

Sure, Shkotov is nice to watch. I had the half-pleasure of watching him numerous times this year. He can score, he can make some nice moves and he's pretty flashy. So what? There are two or three flashy players on every team in the Q. What's so special about a guy like Shkotov?

He had 67 points feeding Josh Hennessey all year long.

Great. So he played just over fourty of seventy plus games and did it with a forty goal scorer. That makes him underrated? There are plenty of guys like Shkotov in the CHL. Attitude and all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Prospects underrated question in the Prospect board of HF ??? If anything, almost all of them are overrated.

But I agree about Balej. He was overlook by many people because he was not on top of the deep Mtl prospects chart. Now that he has been trade away, he's probably starting to be overrated...

jacketracket*

Antero Niittymaki. With all the good goalie prospects coming up now, Niittymaki always seems to get over-looked.

degroat*

PEli said:
Sure, Shkotov is nice to watch. I had the half-pleasure of watching him numerous times this year. He can score, he can make some nice moves and he's pretty flashy. So what? There are two or three flashy players on every team in the Q. What's so special about a guy like Shkotov?

Great. So he played just over fourty of seventy plus games and did it with a forty goal scorer. That makes him underrated? There are plenty of guys like Shkotov in the CHL. Attitude and all.

Sorry if I'm not buying it.

degroat*

Russian Fan said:
It's still a board where we can put our opinions on it. I never claim to be an expert but I think I have a clear opinion on what is a TOP 3 D. Also every year we hear that the 1st D coming out of the last 4-5 draft is the NEXT PRONGER. It's not a knock on the 1st very good D that will be draft this year or the last 3-4 years but a Chris Pronger does not come in every draft year.

So Trevor Byrne can better than I expect but the main point is how he's that underrated ? I think he is where he should be as of today.

There is a HUGE hole in your logic.

According to your logic, all defensemen in the league that are #3's or better were projected to be #1. Guess what... that's not true. If your theory was correct, that would be true.

According to your logic, all defensive prospects are either projected as #1's or at best they're projected to be #4's. Amazingly enough, there are plenty of defensive prospects that have #3 potential and reach it. Hell, some of them even surpass it.

Byrne is projected to be a #3. There's not much more to say than that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ryan Getzlaf is one of the most underrated prospects, IMO.

And Noah Welch is probably the most underrated defenseman among prospects in the entire NHL, except by those in the know. There are some Penguins officials who think he is superior to Ryan Whitney who is among the top 5 defensman prospects in the NHL.

leafaholix*

markov` said:
Alexander Semin. Franchise player potential, but no one talks about him.
He doesn't have Franchise player potential.

Problem is that he's very one-dimensional... guys like him aren't often Franchise players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
There is a HUGE hole in your logic.

According to your logic, all defensemen in the league that are #3's or better were projected to be #1. Guess what... that's not true. If your theory was correct, that would be true.

According to your logic, all defensive prospects are either projected as #1's or at best they're projected to be #4's. Amazingly enough, there are plenty of defensive prospects that have #3 potential and reach it. Hell, some of them even surpass it.

Byrne is projected to be a #3. There's not much more to say than that.

If we had to write everything to make sure you wont find any holes in my arguments, I would write 3 to 4 pages so let's not go to the extreme. The point about a TOP D is that he is always overhyped as the great next D since Pronger & usually they turn out as a good/very good D but not a Pronger.

Sure there is some players that could turn out to be good/very good without being being a top 10 pick. The main point is what Trevor Byrne has done so far to be called a legitimate TOP 3 D ? I dont see where he is so underrated as of today (that's what is all about in this thread). What is wrong about that he is not underrated & that he is exactly where he should be in his progression ?

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
PEli said:

The guys had success under Tichkonov and he had a good relation with Lavigne this years.

he is'nt just Flashy, he's very fast, extremly skilled with the puck and have a great shot.

He might not do it but he's among those who could break up and be a 1st or 2nd liners in the NHL.

degroat*

Russian Fan said:
The main point is what Trevor Byrne has done so far to be called a legitimate TOP 3 D ?

Pretty simple... he excelled in the NCAA and has so far in the AHL. Now, you tell me why he doens't have top 3 potential.

Sammy said:
No surprise there.
Blue fan, no?

I've been following Shkotov for 2 years and the only person I've heard say this about him is Peli. So, until I see some proof, as far as I'm concerned it's not true.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
Pretty simple... he excelled in the NCAA and has so far in the AHL. Now, you tell me why he doens't have top 3 potential.

Truly ? I dont know.

But not about Byrne, a #1 DEFENSMAN even if they are 30 technically in the NHL there's not 30 real #1 D in the NHL as of today.

As for a #2 I would say that there's probably 40 to 45 of them (like I said many of them are played as #1 because the team he play with doesn't have a #1)

So with that base , that tells me how too many people projects easily a player a #1 or #2 D in the future for X prospects.

Now if it's hard to get a REAL #1 D & it's still tough a be a good #2 in the NHL, that must mean to me that it's not anyone who can be a #3 in the NHL.

That was my main point, I wasn't knocking on Byrne ability because frankly I never seen him play & you probably seen him (probably the reason why you defend Byrne) but can he be or progress to be a #3 D ? SURE !! Does that make him UNDERRATED ? NOT ! & that was only question I was mainly adress about WHY Byrne would be UNDERRATED ? He is where he should be & it's a positive thing.

degroat*

He's got top 3 potential and most people don't have a clue who he is.

If he was in the Wings organization or in the Leafs organization, anyone who follows prospects would know who he was.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
He's got top 3 potential and most people don't have a clue who he is.

If he was in the Wings organization or in the Leafs organization, anyone who follows prospects would know who he was.

Please stop crying. Every thread nowadays we see this kind of whining & it's more of a myth than anything. Will people talk more of a Leaf prospect ? No ! why you think so ? because maybe the 50x more leafs fans on this board than blues fan (It's not a knock on Blues fan).

So you will constantly read some info about a good prospect from this organisation.

Every franchise got their prospect people talk about & ABSOLUTELY no one is being left out. Do you people talk a lot about Konstantin Korneev for the Habs ? no ! Why ? because he is underrated ? no ! because there's other players we can talk about for the Habs.

Anaheim : Lupul, Getzlaf & more
Atlanta : Coburn , Lehtonen & more
Boston : Toivonen, Stuart & more
Buffalo : Miller , Vanek & more
Calgary : Phaneuf , Nystrom & more
Carolina : Staal , Richmond, Ward & more
Chicago : Ruutu not so far ago, Vorobiev, Babchuk & more
Colorado : Svatos , Sauvé not so long ago
Columbus : Zherdev, Leclair & more
Dallas : Jokinen , Miettinen , Eriksson & more
Detroit : Hudler , Knowall & more
Edmonton : Pouliot, Woywitka & more
Florida : Weiss , Horton & more
Los Angeles : Boyle, Brown & more
Minnesota : Koivu, O'Sullivan & more
Montréal : Kastsitsyn, Perezhogin & more
Nashville : Suter, Shishkanov & more
NYRangers : Tyutin, Lundmark & more
NYIslanders : Bergenhiem, Tunik & more
New Jersey : Vrana, Parise & more
Ottawa : Spezza not so long ago, Emery & more
Philly : Carter, Richards, Niittymäki & more
Phoenix : Leneveu, Koreis , McLeod & more
Pittsburgh: Whitney, Armstrong & soon to be Malkin
San Jose : Bernier, Michalak & more
StLouis : Sejna not so long ago, Barulin & more
TampaBay : Polushin, Arthukin &more
Toronto : Steen, Colaiacovo & more
VancouveR : Kesler, Koltsov, Auld & more
Washington : OVECHKIN , Fehr, Eminger & more

& that's just on top of my head.

guitaraholic*

Russian Fan said:
If we had to write everything to make sure you wont find any holes in my arguments, I would write 3 to 4 pages so let's not go to the extreme. The point about a TOP D is that he is always overhyped as the great next D since Pronger & usually they turn out as a good/very good D but not a Pronger.

Sure there is some players that could turn out to be good/very good without being being a top 10 pick. The main point is what Trevor Byrne has done so far to be called a legitimate TOP 3 D ? I dont see where he is so underrated as of today (that's what is all about in this thread). What is wrong about that he is not underrated & that he is exactly where he should be in his progression ?

not to be flippant but Pronger turned out to be... Pronger, didn't he? I guess the point being is that eventually one of these kids actually does develop into a player that is just at a level above everyone else in the game, not that Prong's is at that level, as Lidstrom has been Pronger's equal at least for the last 5 years or so...
Anyway, guys who fly 'under the radar' such as Byrne are *not* disqualified from being guys that turn into legit top 4 dmen. Neither you or I have seen enough of Byrne to say what his upside is, so we should just let it go at that. I happen to think 210, who has seen Byrne play, has a better bead on his development and his abilities than you or I probably do.
The rest of the discussion is purely theoretical or semantic in nature. Bottom line: Byrne may not have *proven* to you he's *capable* of developing into a #3 dman but that doesn't mean anything at all, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad