Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

I think Jordan Staal is overrated. Give me Toews over him any day. Eric did a tonne for Jordan's draft position. I expect Cam Ward and the Canes to be relatively mediocre next year, but as a long-term prospect Ward is going to be great. Devin Setoguchi doesn't get the props that Radulov or Wolski get but he's a comparable player. O'Sullivan, Wolski or Malkin have to be the favourites for the Calder at this point.

Kessel will be a star.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I will stick to what I know:

Overrated (often, even if slightly): Semin, Radulov, Grigorenko
Underrated (and undermentioned): Kulyash, Koshechkin, Lemtyugov
Most Unheard of Player Who Deserves to be in the NHL: Atyushov

Last edited:

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
I'd agree with that. He did perform in the playoffs and that counts for a lot, but he was not good by any stretch in the regular season. The descrepancy is siginificant enough to believe his playoff performance was a fluke.
I thought Ward started off the season doing very well, and tailed off a bit as the season wore on.

Overrated- Pogge: Sure he won a gold medal and put up good numbers but so did Jeff Glass. Watching him Ive never really been impressed, average NHL goalie at best IMO.

Underrated- Josh Harding: Barely ever hear anything about this kid. Hes excelled at every level hes played, no matter what quality team was in front of him. This might be me overrating his talents but IMO hes top 3 NHL goalie prospects right now.

Bryzga lol*

Overated: Carey Price - I'm a habs fan but I just don't know about this guy. People are saying he's a franchize goalie, yet he only had half the season this year with Tri-City than he had during his draft year. He needs to be team Canada's starter and do well before I critize him too much more.

Underated: Hannu Toivonen - He's gonna be Boston's franchize goalie and he's gonna win a couple of Vezina's, aslong as Boston remains a playoff team during the years he plays for them.

Underated by habs fans: Emelin, he's going to be their number 1 defencemen when Markov leaves during free agency ;)

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I'd agree with that. He did perform in the playoffs and that counts for a lot, but he was not good by any stretch in the regular season. The descrepancy is siginificant enough to believe his playoff performance was a fluke.

He wasn´t good in the regular season?
Hell, did you see just a single Canes game? If you just look at his stats, you may be right but if you watch him play there´s no chance you would have said that!
He wasn´t great in any game for sure but on the other side he was great to outstanding enough in several other games to earn some respect and not to me mentioned here in the overrated cathegory.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004

It's funny how some posters here make it sound as if Ward came out of nowhere to make his play-off impact. :shakehead

2000-01 Bill Ranford Trophy (Top Goaltender Alberta AAA Midget Hockey)
2001-02 Del Wilson Trophy (WHL Goaltender of the Year) and WHL All Star Team
First Round draft pick (second goaltender drafted after Kari Lehtonen but before Hannu Toivonen)
2003-04 Vaughn Goaltender of the Year Award (CHL Goaltender of the Year), Four Broncos Memorial Trophy (WHL Player of the Year), Runner-up to Sid Crosby for CHL Player of the Year, Del Wilson Trophy (WHL Goaltender of the Year) and WHL All Star Team
2004-05 AHL All Rookie Team, led all AHL netminders in save percentage (0.937)

The kid has been a star at every level he played. He had some troubles to adjust to the NHL but that was to be expected (and Gerbers great performance, limiting his ice time, didn't help either).

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
for the sens:

overrated: Alex Kaigodorov - he's very talented and was among the top in scoring in the RSL the year that NHL players played...but some people think (or hope) that he will jump right in as our 2nd line centre. He's not Malkin

underrated: Brian Lee - this is mostly among non-sens fans. people love j johnson, staal, bourdon but lee gets forgotten because he is the most raw but he does have the potential to be better than any of the three.

Transported Upstater

I will stick to what I know:

Overrated (often, even if slightly): Semin, Radulov, Grigorenko
Underrated (and undermentioned): Kulyash, Koshechkin, Lemtyugov
Most Unheard of Player Who Deserves to be in the NHL: Atyushov

I also think Radulov is overrated.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
It's funny how some posters here make it sound as if Ward came out of nowhere to make his play-off impact. :shakehead

2000-01 Bill Ranford Trophy (Top Goaltender Alberta AAA Midget Hockey)
2001-02 Del Wilson Trophy (WHL Goaltender of the Year) and WHL All Star Team
First Round draft pick (second goaltender drafted after Kari Lehtonen but before Hannu Toivonen)
2003-04 Vaughn Goaltender of the Year Award (CHL Goaltender of the Year), Four Broncos Memorial Trophy (WHL Player of the Year), Runner-up to Sid Crosby for CHL Player of the Year, Del Wilson Trophy (WHL Goaltender of the Year) and WHL All Star Team
2004-05 AHL All Rookie Team, led all AHL netminders in save percentage (0.937)

The kid has been a star at every level he played. He had some troubles to adjust to the NHL but that was to be expected (and Gerbers great performance, limiting his ice time, didn't help either).

He was just talking about this season, and he did kind of come out of nowhere this season to make a play-off impact.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
He was just talking about this season, and he did kind of come out of nowhere this season to make a play-off impact.

This thread is about overrated/underrated prospects and since this was his first season in the NHL I'm not sure what you expected from a 21 year old goaltending rookie. :dunno:

The question with Ward is, was his regular season or his play-off performance the real showing and to try to give an answer to this question you have to look how he performed before. Ward was outstanding in Junior and in his lonely AHL season, so what makes you think that his play-off performance and not his (rather mediocre) regular season showing was the fluke? Just my opinion.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I can understand if people say Malkin is overrated because someone compared him to Super-Mario but in every other sense he is not overrated. He may not do great in the NHL, nobody knows that for sure but if a prospect ever deserves to be hyped about much then it is Malkin, from what I have seen when Malkin and Oveckhin have played the same games on international hockey, mostly I remember Malkin as the one that shined, not saying he is better than Oveckhin or ever will be in the NHL but he sure looks like he has the tools for it.

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
for 2007 eligible players colton gillies is underrated... also dwight king... i played agsinst him in bantam havent heard much about him since though... he knocked our toughest guy out in like three punches... disgustingly strong and he can chip in the odd point (i think he led our league)

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Overrated: Chris Bourque (by a mile)
Underrated: TJ Oshie. Kid's going to be a monster in the NHL.
Really? Even us Caps fans know he's a project. We're not penciling him into our line ups for at least another year or even two. Where is he being overrated? IS this simply because the Caps took him at #33 in '04?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well I guess Schremp will be serving up quite a bit of humble pie to the nay-sayers on here.

stugotz

Mar 17, 2004
The most underrated players seem to be Sharks,

Steve Bernier, is an animal and i dont hear much about him round here,
Josh Hennessey, Devin Setoguchi.

even Michalek was someone I never heard alot about before he played last season. could just be me, but i dont think San Jose's system gets enough credit.

Id say most teams #1 guys will get overrated by the team's fans,

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
to my understanding Michalek never got any good press about him cuz he had a major knee injury (i think, two injuries on the same knee or something like that)

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

even Michalek was someone I never heard alot about before he played last season. could just be me, but i dont think San Jose's system gets enough credit.

Id say most teams #1 guys will get overrated by the team's fans,

Hennessey is now an Ottawa Senator by the way...

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Hennessey is now an Ottawa Senator by the way...

So maybe He'll be overrated then :sarcasm:

Gotta say I loved watching him in Quebec city

After trolling and Though I think he'll be AWESOME Malkin is my choice for the most Overated prospect... Yes he's human and Yes there's still possibility that he doesn't get a 100pts

Most underrated... hum... Marek Zagrapan, Anze Kopitar, Jesse Joenssu, Jonathan Bernier pick one :dunno:

Last edited:

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004

Don't think Bernier is underrated anymore. Yes he was for a while... but after his show last year I think people now realise how good he can become.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad