Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Over-rated: Zach Parise, been saying this for years, he's no 1st line centre, he's going to be a very good 2nd line centre like a Mike York type.

Under-rated: no clue

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
overrated= jordan staal.
underrated= derick brassard ( nobody says a word about him an he was drafted #6 overall)

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Underrated... SMID (but not for long, he's an Oiler ;) )

Overrated... Schremp

Transported Upstater

Price is underrated? I'd say he's overrated.

People placing him above Montoya (who has become one of the most underrated players I've seen on here in a long time) and the like is getting ridiculous.

Overrated: Pogge, Schremp
Underrated: Kopitar, Bergenheim

I'd say that's pretty fair.

BlackOmen

Mar 5, 2006
Longford
I believe that T.J. Oshie is under rated because I believe that he will be a top line talent in the NHL and I never hear any talk what so ever.

I was wondering if John Tavares was considered a prospect because I have already heard talk about him being a generational talent. If he is then he is being overrated because although he is exceptional I do not believe he is generational.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I think you rank them in a more similistic way.

Overrated: Prospects from teams, who are represented by a huge numbers of fans (posters) on HF like the Leafs, Habs, Oilers...etc.

Underrated: Prospects from teams, who are represented by a small numbers of fans (posters) on HF like the Wild, Hawks, Stars...etc.

Exactly.. in other words -

Overrated - prospects on Canadian & Original 6* teams
Underrated - prospects on American teams

* Excluding Chicago as not many fans on here.

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com
I believe that T.J. Oshie is under rated because I believe that he will be a top line talent in the NHL and I never hear any talk what so ever.

I was wondering if John Tavares was considered a prospect because I have already heard talk about him being a generational talent. If he is then he is being overrated because although he is exceptional I do not believe he is generational.

John Tavares is currently an alcoholic so i see his stock falling

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I wonder what makes Zach Parise overrated here....
There´s not much talk about this guy and if there is some, it´s always about his drop in the rankings since the 03 draft.

I agree that he probably won´t become a first line center but when was the last time anybody put him there?

I think I said it the last time when there was a thread like this - he becomes underrated here. He may not be a first line center but he has shown really good improvement all season long and is (now) projected as a really good second line center who can step up in case of injuries.

His stats are comparable to Eric Staal´s with the difference that Eric did all that a year earlier (and with a few more points). I don´t think Parise will reach the 100 points in his career and for sure not in his 2nd season like Staal did but isn´t it also nice to have a 60-75P two-way second line center who can play some games on the first line if it´s necessary?

If this would be accepted he´d be neither overrated nor underrated here.

leafaholix*

overrated by most leaf fans = Dmitri Vorobiev

fyi, his salary for the 2006/07 season was doubled by his russian league team. at the age of 20, he was their best defenseman. russia's top defenseman in the 2005 wjc.

and we haven't heard much about him in over a year and a half.

hardly overrated.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Interesting that you bring up two guys with foot speed issues. One has offensive talents, and is overrated, the other one doesn't and is underrated. Weird world.
Lepisto is very good skater. Watching him in EuroTour I remember that he jumped into play very well and was one of the fastest in Team Finland. We know that guys from Finland are good skaters but Lepisto realy stand out among them.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Lepisto is very good skater. Watching him in EuroTour I remember that he jumped into play very well and was one of the fastest in Team Finland. We know that guys from Finland are good skaters but Lepisto realy stand out among them.

Not from what I have seen. He's a positional defenseman, so maybe that's what you saw?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'll play a bit of a homer role here...

Underrated: Noah Welch

To say he has been overshadowed by the prospects ahead of him is a vast understatement. I have high hopes for Whitney...and Welch will be better than him.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Is Marc-Andre Fleury still considered a prospect? After playing nearly the full season in the NHL he got sent down and still couldn't hold down the starting keeper role in the AHL playoffs. Maybe it isn't his fault, the whole team got lit up by the Bears.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Is Marc-Andre Fleury still considered a prospect? After playing nearly the full season in the NHL he got sent down and still couldn't hold down the starting keeper role in the AHL playoffs. Maybe it isn't his fault, the whole team got lit up by the Bears.

That whole team just seemed dead tired. All the NHL send downs were terrible.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Come on guys, this is HF we're talking about.

Overrated: All NHL prospects
Underrated: Current roster players

I wouldn't trade (insert prospect) for (insert player) because one day if the stars align (insert prospect) might become as good as (insert player) and he's younger!

KariyaIsGod*

The most overrated prospect around here is Evgeny Malkin.

He is quite easily, the most overrated prospect ever to be mentioned on these boards.

We may as well burn every tape in the NHL offices because the way you guys talk about Malkin, he is already better than Gretzky and Lemieux combined. Erase every name on the cup and write MALKIN on it because hockey will begin and end with this guy....

Honestly, if he score sless than 150 points in his opening season, I will consider him to be below expectations taking into account what I've read from you people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad