Most uncommon thing ever happened in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilers*

Any one else remember "lucky butt" ? This guy claimed his butt was lucky and LA actually let the guy go to center ice take off his pants and bless the ice by sitting on it. During the playoffs. Either Calgary or Edmonton won the cup that year.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
interminded said:
Well, it was uncommon... The Clint Malarchuk 'incident' ...

Pic Not Safe for the Faint at Heart

That was the first thing I thought of. He was the coach here in Idaho for a few years and I saw him a lot. He has a nasty scar!! He is a horse dentist and last I heard he was also the goalie coach for the Panthers.

Since you came up with that one already, I'll come up with another one from a game I was at in San Jose. The mascot (SJ Sharkie) was supposed to repell from the rafters and his jersey got hung up in the rope and harness and he got stuck 50 feet above the ice and held up the start of the game for almost a half hour.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
In an international tourney years ago I remember Theo Fleury faking to dump the puck and then promptly scoring from the neutral zone while the goalie was desperately trying to scramble back into the crease :) That was pretty unusual.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Reichel dropped the puck back all the way back into his own net with the goalie out, and Noronen was credited with the goal.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Probably not the most uncommon thing, but Mike Bishai fighting Serge Aubin from the Thrashers' bench was pretty cool.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Easily the weirdest thing to ever happen in hockey was the infamous Steve Sullivan incident in Colorado a few years back very early in the season.

Ill try to tell the quick story. Basically early on in the game Sully got hit in the face by a puck and play was stopped because he had a pretty good cut. It happened near the boards and some jackass on the glass starts heckling him for being hurt and bleeding. Shortly after Sullivan scores 2 goals against Roy, one of them being short handed. Then after that Roy flips the puck out of play and nails the exact guy that was heckling Sullivan earlier. When the jackass is bleeding Sully goes over and mocks him and the guy's girlfriend even cheers on Stevie.

Honestly I dont think it is possible to achieve more poetic justice than that in a hockey game. The odds are literally more than one in a trillion that such a series of events occurred.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Saw something like that at the DU-Air Force game last year. A puck flew into the crowd and three idiots start scrambling for it in the aisle. The guy who gets it flopped on his back reaching for the puck and slides down the concrete steps on his back, a good 8-10 rows. Once he stopped he raised the puck in his hand, but he stayed down a while after that.

The face off from the puck shot out the draw flies strait into the refs forehead and ricochets into the stands. The ref was fine, it was on the helmet.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Craig Janney picking up the puck behind the net, skating out in front and throwing the puck into the net, and it counted. It was on Don Cherry's 1994 Rock 'Em Sock 'Em.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
I'm remembering the guy who chased after Ray Ferraro during a Kings Ducks game. That was weird. I forgot who got to him. It's all fuzzy now.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I remember in mid-90s an incident where because of huge hit to the boards, "zamboni door" opened.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
There are a couple of things that come to my mind, they may not be the weirdest but they are quite good.

On an old video i have called 'Best of NHL' there is a clip of a guy skating down the wing and brushing against the boards. As a result of this contact, part of the advertising (that i can only assume had been glued to the boards) falls off onto the ice and a guy watching the play skates over it and falls over.

From the same video, there was a clip of a guy who jumped over the glass at the end boards and started running round the rink when the teams were getting ready for a face-off. He starts running back towards the point he jumped over the glass and one of the officials skates up behind him and checks him off his feet into the boards.

The only other one that immediately comes to mind is the Doug Gilmour incident in the Habs Vs Canes playoff series in 01-02. Doug gets sent to the penalty box and you can see he aint happy with the call. He skates to the box and as he starts sitting down, he slams the penalty box door. IIRC, when the door slammed shut, both the panel of glass in the door and the one alongside it in front of the box shatter. The funniest thing was Gilmours reaction, the glass starts flying as he is in the process of sitting down and he doesn't even flinch. He stays seated for a few seconds, looks up calmly and then steps out of the box. Bizarrely enough, i think the ref gave him another 2 minutes for it :dunno: Is that part of the rules? If you break the glass when play is stopped you get a penalty? Anyways, if anyone has a clip of that, i'd love to see it again.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
theBob said:
Easily the weirdest thing to ever happen in hockey was the infamous Steve Sullivan incident in Colorado a few years back very early in the season.

Ill try to tell the quick story. Basically early on in the game Sully got hit in the face by a puck and play was stopped because he had a pretty good cut. It happened near the boards and some jackass on the glass starts heckling him for being hurt and bleeding. Shortly after Sullivan scores 2 goals against Roy, one of them being short handed. Then after that Roy flips the puck out of play and nails the exact guy that was heckling Sullivan earlier. When the jackass is bleeding Sully goes over and mocks him and the guy's girlfriend even cheers on Stevie.

Honestly I dont think it is possible to achieve more poetic justice than that in a hockey game. The odds are literally more than one in a trillion that such a series of events occurred.

:biglaugh: Easily the best one so far.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
someguy44

Yeah, the Malarchuk incident (man, that was gross), the Fleury with Mascot fight, and the Lemieux 5 different goals were quite unique and haven't been done or seen in hockey since.

Trevor Linden in the 95 playoffs against the Blues and literally bodychecking a Blues player through the glass and into the stands.

The player for a used bus trade is a pretty weird one.

Gino Odjick wearing the number 66 for a NHL game. Have you ever seen any other NHL player besides Mario wear that number?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Can't believe I forgot these Wings/Avs gems

Of all people, Darren McCarty gets a hat trick in the 2002 Wings Vs Avalnche WCF

Spleenless Swede Fredrick Olausson scores OT goal in game 4, (I think) for the Wings. As opposed to the other, more talented spleenless Swede, Forsberg for the Avs(Forsberg got the OT goal for Avs in game 5, but that was far more likely)

March 26, 1997, Big Infamous Wings/Avs brawl in which Claude (Turtle) Lemieux gets his. Brawl started when pint size Igor Larionov reastx to superstar Forsberg punching him in head and attempts to fight him....actually more of a steer wrestle to ice. While refs were trying to keep the much larger Forsberg from crushing Larionov, McCarty went after Lemieux.

In more Larionov stuff, the finals in 1997, Larionov got Lindros in a quick headlock and took him of the action by wrestling him to the ice (sadly, didn't get him on tape, and only CBC showed it) Announcing was hilarious "....Larionov, outweighed by about 100 pounds...."

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I played a league game once where my team fired 90+ shoots on net in 60 minutes, but ended up loosing the game 10-8... If I remember the stats correctly the shoots where 94-20.

It was in the so called Kallot-league with teams from both Sweden and Finland. The game was on a friday, my team had already won the league and we were playing our first qualification game on sunday so our coach stayed at home and sent only 10 skaters and most of us were juniors, the other team, Koolari(sp), was deadlast and I don't think they had won single game the entire year.

I think we fired something like 50 shoots in the first period and lead the game 4-0. Koolari played a PK box with 5 players. It was impossible to get any rebounds. We had about 40 shoots in the 2nd but completely died in the 3rd where we lost a 6 goal lead. :shakehead

I am sure this game broke some kind of world record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->