Most Revolutionary Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
I often think about who was most revolutionary to the game of hockey...probably because my choice would be Bobby Orr and what he did basically creating the need for a whole new type of defenseman. Some others that often come to mind are Patrick Roy for his revolutionary "butterfly" which has spawned an entire generation of goaltenders. Gordie Howe/Bobby Hull are in there too with curved blades which made shots harder and more accurate.

What are some other names out there that have most changed the game? Who has changed the game the most?

KOVALEV10*

Bernie Geoffrion who created the slap shot.
The Canadiens of old and the Oilers of the 80-s (powerplay type)
And the one guy I hate to mention, Jacques Lemaire (the defensive minded game)

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I don't think that Gordie had nothing to do with the curved stick, and I am fairly sure that Hull is in the same boat. If memory serves me correct it would have to be Bathgate who originated the curved stick... some people however attribute that to Mikita.

A more obscure pick would be Pryakin being the first soviet to suit up in the NHL with the Calgary Flames. Not really his game that was revolutionary, but his place in the game.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
I was always under the impression that Howe/Hull basically played around with a curved stick back in the day, and they shared with one another. Am I incorrect? I'd be interested to know if it is infact Bathgate and/or Stan the Man who are the originators, and I am been spouting off incorrect info for a long while now . . .

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
KOVALEV10 said:
Bernie Geoffrion who created the slap shot.

That's a great one. Forgot about Boom-Boom.

KOVALEV10 said:
The Canadiens of old and the Oilers of the 80-s (powerplay type)

Really revolutionary to the extent of the others? We don't see teams living off the PP to the extent that those teams did. But I guess we don't have the level of scoring due to...

KOVALEV10 said:
And the one guy I hate to mention, Jacques Lemaire (the defensive minded game)

Another good one, however unfortunate. Deserves to be mentioned as it has revolutionized the game in the past decade.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think Dominik Hasek played a big role in ushering in the age of the goaltender. He put up numbers during the final throes of the high-scoring era ('93-'96) that would have him competing for the Vezina even today.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Orr completely revolutionized a position....way more important than a piece of eqiupment.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
tom_servo said:
I think Dominik Hasek played a big role in ushering in the age of the goaltender. He put up numbers during the final throes of the high-scoring era ('93-'96) that would have him competing for the Vezina even today.

I don't know whether that was Hasek, but rather I think that it was Roy that brought the position into the limelight, and the perfection of the butterfly, which can now be seen in all the young (predominantly french) goaltenders who at one time looked up to Roy. It is this that I think can best explanation for the better goaltending today. Hasek while great had a style that was impossible to emulate, unlike Roy.

KOVALEV10*

Benton Fraser said:
I don't know whether that was Hasek, but rather I think that it was Roy that brought the position into the limelight, and the perfection of the butterfly, which can now be seen in all the young (predominantly french) goaltenders who at one time looked up to Roy. It is this that I think can best explanation for the better goaltending today. Hasek while great had a style that was impossible to emulate, unlike Roy.

If my memory serves me correct, Glenn Hall was the master of butterfly wayy before Roy.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
If my memory serves me correct, Glenn Hall was the master of butterfly wayy before Roy.

I know that Hall originated the butterfly, and according to some perfected it, but Roy came along in a time where it appeared that the common manner of goaltending was standup goaltending (seen throughout the 1980s) and that has changed now to butterfly.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Benton Fraser said:
I know that Hall originated the butterfly, and according to some perfected it, but Roy came along in a time where it appeared that the common manner of goaltending was standup goaltending (seen throughout the 1980s) and that has changed now to butterfly.
Lovin' the avatar.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:

You beat me to it, Kovalev.

Glenn Hall was the true originator of the butterfly, before the goalie mask, the bushel-basket catching glove, and the body armor that is so prevalent today.

Ogopogo*

Denis Savard was the most revolutionary. You would lose track of how many revolutions he did performing the "Savardian Spinarama" ;)

Hall was named the NHL's best goalie 7 times using the butterfly style. He was named #2 four times.

Doug Harvey and the 50's Canadiens were the real revolutionaries of the power play. They are the reason a player gets back on the ice after a goal. Harvey was the first offensive defenceman, Orr perfected it by adding his skating.

Hall was the first butterfly goalie, Roy perfected it by incorporating the knee shuffle and a better upper body position.

In the Legends series, the Golden Jet himself credits Mikita for the curved stick.

Jaques Plante needs to be mentioned for the mask and the fact that he was also the first goalie to leave the crease to stop the puck for his defencemen.

Ed Belfour and Felix Potvin for starting the whole paddle-down technique.

And finally Ron Hextall deserves credit for being the first goalie to play the puck like a defenceman.

Ogopogo*

Habsfan 32 said:
I agree about Roy and Hall. Hall invented the butterfly style but Roy perfected it and he's the reason most of the goalies in the NHL use it.

I disagree that Roy perfected it. Hall was the NHL's best goalie 7 times using it so, I would say he had some perfection going on.

Roy perfected using it with the big equipment of the 90s.

KOVALEV10*

Ogopogo said:
I disagree that Roy perfected it. Hall was the NHL's best goalie 7 times using it so, I would say he had some perfection going on.

How do you know Hall was the leagues best goalie 7 times?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Ogo, not to nit pick, but the Savardian Spinerama was Danny Gallivan's term used to describe Serge Savard's move to turn away from forecheckers. It was later used for Denis, but it was Serge's originally. Glenn Hall used the butterfly, but I think Tony Esposito was the first to solely rely on it. In the 60's, there was a fine line between the butterfly and flopping.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It was before my time but I have seen a clip of Doug Harvey also performing the spin move.

jb**

Hextall- changed the wya goalies handle the puck

Broad Street Bullies chnaged the way hockey was played in the 70's and early 80's

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
mcphee said:
Ogo, not to nit pick, but the Savardian Spinerama was Danny Gallivan's term used to describe Serge Savard's move to turn away from forecheckers. It was later used for Denis, but it was Serge's originally.

I think he was joking, thus the ;)

Ogopogo said:

Roy managed to use it pretty effectively using small gear in the 80s. Jennings in 87, 88 and 89. Vezina in 89.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/focus/gfx/roy_habs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->