Most Overrated Players in NHL 18

Maco

May 15, 2017
Would be nice if one day EA would ignore the overalls and make specific stats according to how good the players actually are at them. So many wingers have way too good defensive attributes just to make their overalls elite.
Understandably EA can't change that before we stop religiously staring at those overalls.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Overrated: Murray 88

How is he only 1 overall behind Bobrovsky and how is he 1 ahead of Talbot.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
What is the point of editing in NHL 18? I started doing my own editing, until I realized it is all for naught, if you play Franchise Mode, which completely reverses all re-ratings, back to default!

I edit mine too, but every time there is a roster update you have to manually switch them back. Annoying, but mine all apply in franchise mode, so I dunno? Makes franchise mode more realistic and I like that. Miss the old days when the community released downloadable custom rosters that were pretty much spot on.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
EA needs to get with the times and allow roster sharing. Madden has it. Wake up EA.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
There are certain players who always receive high overall ratings from EA. So begs the question, who are the most overrated players in NHL 18?

IMO Ryan Suter is not an 89 which is better than most of the defense-man in the game, I wouldn't even consider him a Top 10 defense-man in the league. It's funny how Parise is a 83, but Suter still remains a high overall. Another guy is obviously Toews at 90 overall. Until he retires he will always remain overrated by EA. Weber at 89 seems a bit too high. Murray 88, calm down EA he still hasn't had a full year of being the #1 goalie. Getzlaf at 89 is a bit too high for me, I mean is he still that good?

Those are mine what about yours?

Sutter is extremely underrated Its still gross he lost that Norris to PK. He is easily a top ten d man. The guy is as close to automatic as they get. His issue is he does not put up points. Anyone who thinks he is not a top ten d man probably thinks the difference in a trade for Matthews Mcdavid is nylander and Marner.

Speaking of underrated. I think Matthews should be an 89 at least. The leafs hate has always been strong though. If MCdavid was a leaf he would probably be an 89.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
This got wiped out in the switch to the new forums, but the new overall calculation for defensemen heavily weights defensive attributes and skating and offensive attributes are lighter weighted than in NHL 17.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't know about overrated in terms of rating (78), but I'm playing BAP, 20 games in, and the the Leafs goal scoring leader so far this season is....Matt Martin. lol.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I remember and found Ryan Suter, and Cory Schneider overrated most specifically

I have a system where I am making less prospects with 'Elite' potential so it's harder to find that real gem. But evening it out, putting alot more top 9, top 6, top 6 high potential's. With that being said finding a 'High Elite' or 'Franchise' is a Grade A, A+ prospect now for me. For example: didn't put Hischier, or Patrick as 'High Elite' or 'Franchise', but in contrast put Rasmus Dahlin as 'High Elite'. I do like the new drafting system, but tweaked it a bit so it should be pretty good now for me.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Suter has a high overall because the new ratings calculation puts a substantially higher weight on defensive awareness than years past (and far less weight on skating and offensive attributes). Most players seem to have pretty similar attributes to NHL 17, but because of the different overall calculations, they may have a drastically different overall rating now.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
22539921_10156741829504418_1206505888607303472_n.jpg

This is pretty incredible to me.
For more reasons than one: no I am not playing as the Blues, no I did not touch any setting as far as goal scoring/per game goes or any points settings (don't even think you can do that). No one is setting him up with like 60 assists. Schwartz is the playmaker right now with only 36 in 40 games. Also I did not even edit Tarasenko's overall or stats, when I did edit alot, including Ovechkin with all 99's in shot.
Will he get 50 in 50? Will he get 60+? Will he get 82? We will seeeee!!!

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN
Would be nice if one day EA would ignore the overalls and make specific stats according to how good the players actually are at them. So many wingers have way too good defensive attributes just to make their overalls elite.
Understandably EA can't change that before we stop religiously staring at those overalls.
Well, if you can star in the NHL, you can play defence. Every star can

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Tavares is by the Isles.
I tried trading for him and was turned down no matter what I offered, so I decided to screw around and see what it would take.
I traded with every other team and ended up with the 1st OA, 3rd OA, 4th OA, and 7th OA.
They turned it down.
The game lists them as rebuilding and they turned down 4 top 10 picks in the same draft for JT.

Reactions: phillyb

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
After editing 90% of the players in the game. Body checking, aggression, awareness and balance are the most bloated stats. Varying out the overalls more and decreasing all these elite, top 6 potentials has really improved Be a GM simulation for the first few years until computer generated players start popping up. I no longer see 1000 AHL quality d-man demanding 4 million dollar contracts. My simulation standings and point totals have really started mimicking real life half of the time. EA's rating/potential system is completely broken on top of the absurd contract system. There shouldnt be 40% of an entire draft class becoming NHL regulars after 3 years.

For example on how messed up the rating system is. Patrick Kane is not elite defensively, not elite in body checking or balance. Bump those stats to mid/upper 70s which I consider slightly above average while leaving his elite offense and skating skills where they are at. He gets bumped all the way down to 82-83 overall.

Toews somehow has better offensive stats and is more physical and aggressive than Lucic. Do they even watch the damn games. Finally got him down to a reasonable 79 overall with good "intangible" stats with average everything else.

There are 30 year olds with high potential still, 80% of 30 year olds start to decline. I spent a week just getting potentials sorted out. The Euro leagues are littered with middle aged NHL wash ups with potential to still come back in the NHL. Like really EA? It bloats the Free agent market to absurd levels of players wanting top 6 money.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->