Most Overrated Players in NHL 18

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
There are certain players who always receive high overall ratings from EA. So begs the question, who are the most overrated players in NHL 18?

IMO Ryan Suter is not an 89 which is better than most of the defense-man in the game, I wouldn't even consider him a Top 10 defense-man in the league. It's funny how Parise is a 83, but Suter still remains a high overall. Another guy is obviously Toews at 90 overall. Until he retires he will always remain overrated by EA. Weber at 89 seems a bit too high. Murray 88, calm down EA he still hasn't had a full year of being the #1 goalie. Getzlaf at 89 is a bit too high for me, I mean is he still that good?

Those are mine what about yours?

Reactions: Oddbob

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Drafted 14th overall but I'm sure he should be a 7th d low...

Anyways, Ovechkin, Fleur, Lundqvist, Suter, a lot Of The older guys.

I switched him to Med Top 4. Still could be generous, but he's fun to watch throughout my franchises due to his Dad. In one of mine, Tampa traded him to COL for Duchene (who is always pissed, no matter what team he is on, it's hilarious. However watching Foote play for the Avs was cool.

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN
Suter, Weber, Ristolainen are some off the top of my head.

Who Weber? If you're referring to Shea, then you're in the wrong conversation.

This is the most OVERRATED players we're talking about, not the most UNDERRATED players!

People, stop being so ********** that we got someone better that Subban probably will ever be. Know some hockey, age doesn't make someone better (because that means McCarron is better than Crosby, and that Stefan is better than Jagr (rhymes!)), and stop ****ing making like you're an expert on development (because you're clearly not)!

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN
Overrated? Oh, boy. They're all rated really low. But for overrated, I'd say Gallagher, Plekaneč. 'Specially Gallagher—his attributes tell you he's ok, but has a lethal shot. But he has trouble finding the back of the net, and just getting points.

Plekaneč's a disappointment and was almost bought-out this year. Our "star" had a 28-point season (10-18), while not missing much action, suiting up for 78 games. Had a good playoff stint, though, with 3 points in 6 games (1G, 2A).

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Several defencemen, including Suter, are overrated when you look at the fact that Hedman only is rated at 87, which is laughable.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I edit players manually so for me EA's overalls don't matter much. A weird one though is Andy Greene, basically the Devils top defenseman, only having a 78 overall. Among his own teammates, Ben Lovejoy has 79 and Dalton Prout also has 78 lol.

Getzlaf at 89 is a bit too high for me, I mean is he still that good?

Getzlaf was a beast last season, including in the playoffs.

Overrated? Oh, boy. They're all rated really low.

They changed the system, genereally decreasing player overalls. These overalls are closer to the ones that were being used in NHL games between 2000-2009. I like it.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
I edit players manually so for me EA's overalls don't matter much. A weird one though is Andy Greene, basically the Devils top defenseman, only having a 78 overall. Among his own teammates, Ben Lovejoy has 79 and Dalton Prout also has 78 lol.

Normally Noobx would post this but I'll do it this time. The overall rating isn't the end all be all stat for player evaluation. It's simply a quick glance metric to help you make lineup decisions faster. Normally Offensive and Defensive Awareness are the most heavily weighted individual attributes in the overall calculation.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

This is the most OVERRATED players we're talking about, not the most UNDERRATED players!

People, stop being so ********** that we got someone better that Subban probably will ever be. Know some hockey, age doesn't make someone better (because that means McCarron is better than Crosby, and that Stefan is better than Jagr (rhymes!)), and stop ****ing making like you're an expert on development (because you're clearly not)!

What? Yes, this is the most overrated players thread. I listed Shea Weber, because I believe he is overrated, since everyone has their own opinions in hockey, and I've seen plenty of others share the same opinion as I.

And I'm a Rangers fan, so I really have no beef with the Subban trade lmao. And no, age means nothing. I never even mentioned age. Michael McCarron isn't better than Sidney Crosby. Patrik Stefan isn't better than Jagr. Someone believing Subban is better than Weber, which many people do, is not because of their age, but because they believe Subban is a better player on the ice. Simple as that.

And I never mentioned development, since this thread has nothing to do with it, but okay.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Normally Noobx would post this but I'll do it this time. The overall rating isn't the end all be all stat for player evaluation. It's simply a quick glance metric to help you make lineup decisions faster. Normally Offensive and Defensive Awareness are the most heavily weighted individual attributes in the overall calculation.

Yes of course. People tend to whine about overalls completely ignoring how the attributes are spread and how they are valued, which can be annoying.

However, EA tend to **** up even more when you look into the players attribute by attribute. Nicklas Backstrom being given 90+ speed every year is one example. This year he has 91 in speed & acc. Meanwhile Blake Wheeler has 87 in both categories. Not to mention Wheeler is also significantly bigger, which makes him in slower compared to Backstrom in the game.

I edited Anaheim, Arizona, Boston and Buffalo already, so I can't see their originals attributes anymore, but I think Ondrej Kase (a young speedster) had 85 in speed. Same number as Matt Moulson, probably one of the slowest forwards in the NHL.

It's a good thing edit player feature exists. I wouldn't buy the game without it. I don't claim to know everything about every player, but I try to read upon them, look at stats and watch a bit of video. This way it takes a lot of time editing all the players, but I end up learning a lot about players in the process, so it's all in good fun :)

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

That's funny considering Subban is better than Weber! Maybe you're the one that should "know some hockey". And he never said it was because of age, it's just that Subban is better. Obviously McCarron isn't better than Crosby and obviously Stefan isn't better than Jagr. But McDavid is better than Pacioretty, and no it's not because of age. It's just because he's better. Understand?

Reactions: OldManGroin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

One of the worst and most nonsensical posts I've seen in a long time.

Congratz! :handclap:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes of course. People tend to whine about overalls completely ignoring how the attributes are spread and how they are valued, which can be annoying.

However, EA tend to **** up even more when you look into the players attribute by attribute. Nicklas Backstrom being given 90+ speed every year is one example. This year he has 91 in speed & acc. Meanwhile Blake Wheeler has 87 in both categories. Not to mention Wheeler is also significantly bigger, which makes him in slower compared to Backstrom in the game.

I edited Anaheim, Arizona, Boston and Buffalo already, so I can't see their originals attributes anymore, but I think Ondrej Kase (a young speedster) had 85 in speed. Same number as Matt Moulson, probably one of the slowest forwards in the NHL.

It's a good thing edit player feature exists. I wouldn't buy the game without it. I don't claim to know everything about every player, but I try to read upon them, look at stats and watch a bit of video. This way it takes a lot of time editing all the players, but I end up learning a lot about players in the process, so it's all in good fun :)

What is the point of editing in NHL 18? I started doing my own editing, until I realized it is all for naught, if you play Franchise Mode, which completely reverses all re-ratings, back to default!

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
That is only if you do the expansion teams. If you start Franchise normally you get your edited ratings back v

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
In my save Toews has won the scoring title 3 straight seasons with back to back triple digit campaigns. Regardless what you think of Toews and how he’s rated, it’s insane for him to be putting up more points than McDavid, Crosby, Kane etc. His offense is badly overrated in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad