Liquidrage*

BLACKBURN said:
Lol, stop demonstrating your ignorance!

Most overated prospect in your time?

Give me a break!

Oh, gee, did I offend your idol?

By the way. Blackburns another one.

All he did in his time in the NHL is GET LIT UP
And yet people acted like he played good. He didn't.

Take your ignorance charge, wrap it up and give it to yourself as a nice present. You earned it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I seem to recall the words Christian Dube and the Next Great phenom in the same sentence back in the day... those were great... along with the great youth the Rangers were bringing up in Daniel Goneau and Vorobiev.
Those were fun times...

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
Liquidrage said:
Oh, gee, did I offend your idol?

Take your ignorance charge, wrap it up and give it to yourself as a nice present. You earned it.

For a good part of the season he played in the NHL, Blackburn was very good. I remember him doing crazy saves against the Habs when we absolutly pounded him.

I think that Komisarek was one of the most overrated prospect on the boards. He was seen as a future Blake or Pronger which he truly isn't. I think he'll make a very fine #3/4 defenseman that any team would like to have, but not much more. At the beginning I let myself get caught by the hype but I got back on earth quite soon.

Other overrated prospects are Lehoux, Mike Cammalleri (remember after that WJC with Boyes?), Boyes, Tuomo Ruutu who was the future Forsberg (he's very good but obviously not THAT good). Jeff Jillson was the next Brian Leetch..

Oh.. and Taylor Pyatt's damn fast. :p

RuthlessRobb

Aug 7, 2002
Rochester
Visit site
brendl, lundmark, blackburn, malhotra, dube and goneau? i'm sensing a pattern here. this shows the Rangers ability to scout, draft and bury their prospects under a pile of overpaid me-firsts

Skroob*

Liquidrage said:

...When he was asked to start his career by playing 20+ games in a row behind the worst Defense in the NHL in the largest media market.

The only reason why nobody hears of him now is that he is out for the season with an injury.

But yeah, i guess 20 is kinda old at this point. Not much room to grow there, huh? I guess by the same logic, M.A. Fleury is done, too.

Skroob*

RuthlessRobb said:
brendl, lundmark, blackburn, malhotra, dube and goneau? i'm sensing a pattern here. this shows the Rangers ability to scout, draft and bury their prospects under a pile of overpaid me-firsts

Its not so much the scouting (rangers have been able to pull a few good players from late rounds (York,Cloutier,Kloucek,Sundstrom)), its the treatment of these kids by management.

I'm gald sather has been picking only Euro and College players the last few years, as it keeps these kids as far away from NY as possible.

And why is everyone ready to give up on Blackburn? The kids not even old enough to drink yet!

Liquidrage*

RuthlessRobb said:

It also shows that Ranger prospects get overhyped on the boards. I really didn't think Lundmark or Blackburn were bad prospects at all. Just that the level of play didn't match the high praise they were getting on the boards.
Blackburn could get totally lit up in a game, and yet if he made one great save that's what some people focused on. Dunham came in and blew Blackburn's play out of the water, so it wasn't just the poor Rangers D doing it to Blackburn.
I don't think the Rangers handled Lundmark well either. But there comes a time when if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you gotta stop calling it an eagle and just call it a duck.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Perhaps not officially the most overrated but certainly one of the most dramatic descriptions of a player ever to drive the guys on the old boards crazy several years ago was the exceptional scouting report for one Andrei Markov in Montreal. It was the same summer Hab fans were trying to trade Trevor Linden back to Vancouver every other day. The board was in an ugly mood when Markov was described as yet 'another' second coming of Bobby Orr. Now Andrei is a decent player today and not a bust, it was just that the qualitative scouting report on him written up by Montreal fans was a bit overblown and it led to many censored threads and much heated debate. The HF posters weren't buying into the idea that Andrei was going to single-handedly turn the franchise's fortunes around and make them a Cup contender. Not that season anyway.

Back then, Robbie Schremp fans also drove many posters on the prospect board crazy including Dad (with a Trade Mark). Schremp was very young and he was being marketed by a number of fans, agents, family, whatever, as better than Wayne Gretzky. A few threads on the matter would have gone by without fanfare but it was the continuous, infinite, unending posting of flowering Robbie threads that had many regular Prospect Board posters howling derisively. Several years later, I'm glad nonetheless to see Robbie doing well with the London Knights.

I forget his last name but there was also this Mitch 'x', a player from the WHL, he was like 6'7" and an enforcer. He had many fans and many detractors. He was supposed to be the second coming of Zdeno Chara. I have no idea what happened to this guy. He got picked up by Montreal in the draft, I saw him play at the Hull Tourney and then he just disappeared.

Liquidrage*

Skroob said:
...When he was asked to start his career by playing 20+ games in a row behind the worst Defense in the NHL in the largest media market.

The only reason why nobody hears of him now is that he is out for the season with an injury.

But yeah, i guess 20 is kinda old at this point. Not much room to grow there, huh? I guess by the same logic, M.A. Fleury is done, too.

No. Read my last post. His play was NOT good. Room to grow yes? Sure. He could be great one day who knows? But people here acted like his play was GREAT. It wasn't. It was exactly what you'd expect froma goalie thrown intot he fire like that. Bad.
His play did nothing to elevate his status. He was the 10th overall pick, and after his play his value should have stayed right there. A mid-1st Rnd pick. But after his play, people HERE acted like he was now a can't miss, or a MAF type of prospect. And that just wasn't the case.

Remember what the TOPIC is. Pitkanen is a great prospect having a great year. And when someone said he could be the next Orr, what was MAJOR over-hyping. Blackburn got overhyped here.

Makes sense yet? People need to detach themelves from some of the emtion here and understand the topic at hand better. Just because someone got overhyped doesn't mean they aren't a good prospect still. Just means they got more credit then they deserved.

Skroob*

no, no, i understood you meant he was playing bad. I was just giving the reason he played so poorly. He started out really strong, then playing that much at 19 got to him and he started to wear. Hopefully 1-2 years in the AHL will bring him along.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Spezza is not overrated.

Based on hype alone, he certainly was. I'm not trying to detract from Spezza's skill at all, but you would have thought he was the 2nd coming of Jesus if you would have read the threads that were created around the time of his drafting. Before he was taken behind Kovalchuk that is. After that, he was crap. :joker:

Sammy*

Caniacforever said:
Based on hype alone, he certainly was. I'm not trying to detract from Spezza's skill at all, but you would have thought he was the 2nd coming of Jesus if you would have read the threads that were created around the time of his drafting. Before he was taken behind Kovalchuk that is. After that, he was crap. :joker:
Well, he might not be the 2nd coming of Jesus but based on how he is playing in his 1st full year in todays low scoring NHL, it would not surprise me if we are seeing the beginnings of a future Hall of Famer. If thats overhyping , so be it.
I mean Brendl wasnt hyped near as much, but whatever hype he did get is way more overhyping compared to what Spezza got when one looks at what they have done to date

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would have to agree with those who say Mike Komisarek. When half the Montreal faithful has him featured in their avatar, you know something's up. Personally, I think he's going to be a great pro defenseman, although I don't think he'll be the overall threat some make him out to be. Chris Pronger? Hell no. Larry Robinson? No way. A more assertive Kevin Hatcher with better wheels? I think so, and that's not a bad thing IMO.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I would have to agree with those who say Mike Komisarek. When half the Montreal faithful has him featured in their avatar, you know something's up. Personally, I think he's going to be a great pro defenseman, although I don't think he'll be the overall threat some make him out to be. Chris Pronger? Hell no. Larry Robinson? No way. A more assertive Kevin Hatcher with better wheels? I think so, and that's not a bad thing IMO.

I'm still waiting for Komisarek to really destroy somebody with a big hit. He came in with a rep as a big hitter, and in the 30 or so games I've seen him play in both the NHL and AHL I have yet to see him crush somebody. I saw Phaneuf throw more good hits in one tournament than I've seen Komisarek throw in the 30 or so games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Psycho Joe said:
I'm still waiting for Komisarek to really destroy somebody with a big hit. He came in with a rep as a big hitter, and in the 30 or so games I've seen him play in both the NHL and AHL I have yet to see him crush somebody. I saw Phaneuf throw more good hits in one tournament than I've seen Komisarek throw in the 30 or so games.

I always threw comparisons out there to Brooks Orpik as their styles were supposedly the same(sans Komisarek will shoot the puck more than Orpik)...so far Orpik has 1 goal and 5 assists in 50 games offensively and Komisarek has 1 in 43(combining two seasons). I wish I knew where to find the hits stat because I guarantee you Orpik is crushing him there too, Orpik has been playing like he's possessed the last couple months.

I still think they'll be about as close as two players can be, but considering the hype surrounding Komisarek and the hype surrounding Orpik(read: none)...I just don't get it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Psycho Joe said:

From what I understand, being a "big hitter" doesn't seem to be part of his style of play. He'd rather use his strength and stick to bump people off the puck, which is why I made the Kevin Hatcher comparison. Will that change? Hard to say. He's a perfect example of the outdated stereotypes that current NHL players are saddled with. "You're big, so you have to be a mean, physical speciman who hits a ton." That just doesn't work anymore, especially when players of all sizes are enamored with the finesse game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I always threw comparisons out there to Brooks Orpik as their styles were supposedly the same(sans Komisarek will shoot the puck more than Orpik)...so far Orpik has 1 goal and 5 assists in 50 games offensively and Komisarek has 1 in 43(combining two seasons). I wish I knew where to find the hits stat because I guarantee you Orpik is crushing him there too, Orpik has been playing like he's possessed the last couple months.

I still think they'll be about as close as two players can be, but considering the hype surrounding Komisarek and the hype surrounding Orpik(read: none)...I just don't get it.

I don't know if that's a good comparision. Orpik is much more of a heavy hitter that Komisarek, whereas Komisarek has the much better skill set, although that hasn't manifested itself on the scoresheet yet. Orpik also has the luxury of what, at least one more year of development, being a hockey "lifer", whereas Komisarek is a relative latecomer to the sport, and playing quite a bit more on a weak Penguins team, than Komisarek on a Montreal team with more veteran depth. I'd Komisarek a bit more time to grow as a player before making any final judgements.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
see Alexander Frolov

Neither of them are overrated. Give them time. They're only in their second year and both are on pace for 50+ points. Geez! It's not like every prospect starts scoring at point a game the moment they hit the NHL. Fedorov (which I think is a good comparison for Frolov) did at the age of 21. Frolov is 21 now, which means he'd have to score at a point a game pace this season to keep up with Federov. He's not going to do that this season, but then Frolov is being forced to lead a playoff team in only his 2nd year. I didn't see Fedorov have to pick up an entire team and put it on his shoulders in his second year. Give Frolov time - once he starts playing regularly on the PP, his points will increase.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
DeathFromAbove said:
Neither of them are overrated. Give them time. They're only in their second year and both are on pace for 50+ points. Geez! It's not like every prospect starts scoring at point a game the moment they hit the NHL. Fedorov (which I think is a good comparison for Frolov) did. But Frolov is still only 22 and he's leading a playoff team in only his 2nd year! Give him time.

That's not what I'm saying.

They're not overrated, not now, not at all...but these guys were heralded as the next Lemieuxs and Jagr on this board.

The hype around Frolov was sickening.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
That's not what I'm saying.

They're not overrated, not now, not at all...but these guys were heralded as the next Lemieuxs and Jagr on this board.

The hype around Frolov was sickening.

I remember all the hype for Frolov. It was usually a Fedorov/Frolov comparison which I think are fair. Jagr is a bit much in one aspect and not fair to Frolov in another aspect (Frolov is a much tougher guy).

What I do remember being sickening was that there was just so much talk about Frolov, but then Kings fans haven't had anything to be excited about since Luc and that is a very long time.

So overrated? No. Over-hyped? Ya, probably. Point well taken.

(Note - I had to go back and edit the first post because I got the ages wrong)

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I've gotta stick my two cents in here. Chuck Kobasew was hyped too much. He's no daisy at all. And I want to be the first to say, "I told you so."... :teach:

Sammy*

I just responded to a Smyth for Sejna trade proposal, which leads mr to the following:

How bout the 24 year old Peter Sejna who has all of 4 goals in the minors?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sejna is another big one, I predicted he wouldn't do anything(and was pretty much alone with that sentiment).

He's a small overrager dominating in college.

If he was doing that at a younger age I would have taken more notice, but he was 24.

He's still doing even worse than I was expecting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad