Most Overrated HF Prospect of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Takeo21 said:
Pitkanen most recently. The Bobby Orr comparisons are a tough pill to swallow.
:shakehead
You try and take a shot at the Flyers or their prospects every post that you can, we understand you don't like them, but you don't need to make BS like this up.

I'd really like to see all of these Bobby Orr comparisons that you speak of, if you can find them/if they even exist.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
flyers guy said:
:shakehead
You try and take a shot at the Flyers or their prospects every post that you can, we understand you don't like them, but you don't need to make BS like this up.

I'd really like to see all of these Bobby Orr comparisons that you speak of, if you can find them/if they even exist.

That's strange. A few months ago, somebody actually DID compare Pitkanen to Orr and this post suggests you agreed with him. At the very least, it looks like you responded to him so you should know better:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=374746&highlight=Orr+Pitkanen#post374746

And another simpleton saying Pitkanen can easily become another Orr:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=623449&highlight=Orr+Pitkanen#post623449

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
That's strange. A few months ago, somebody actually DID compare Pitkanen to Orr and this post suggests you agreed with him. At the very least, it looks like you responded to him so you should know better:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=374746&highlight=Orr+Pitkanen#post374746

And another simpleton saying Pitkanen can easily become another Orr:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=623449&highlight=Orr+Pitkanen#post623449
ouch !!! :eek:
pitkanen the next Orr ... :eek:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Some of the most overrated have pretty much all been named.

Ruutu (although the couter-reaction this year was just as silly and baseless)

Lehoux

Frolov

Are there. Miller is one guy I haven't seen on this thread who deserves it as far as I am concerned. The hype last year was a little crazy and he's unremarkable compared to many other goalie prospects.

In all those instances, there were common factors that we see in most cases of overrating:

-Good performances at WJCs: Some people read WAY too much in the short tournaments. This is what happened to Frolov. That fools a lot of people.

-Publicity by online or paper publications (HF for Lehoux, THN for Ruutu and Miller)

The one interesting exception is Mike Komisarek. Hyped for no good reason at all. People can't blame solely Habs fans for this one: most hockey fans had him WAY too high. I don't know what happened but there's something really screwed up in the way people analyze talent.

Other interesting cases of overrating often involve Euro overagers, young and old. Jiri Dopita, Kristian "stickhandle in a phone booth" Huselius, Henrik "Forsberg" Zetterberg and recently the guy who was supposed to take the NHL by storm, Antti Miettinen.

I accepted on good faith that Huselius was supposed to be that good but you can bet your ass I saw the two other young guys coming because it was just too much of a similar pattern.

The last case of overrating involve players who are praised by GMs or other players and people fall for that crap. Like, even when it's painfully evident Koltsov has the hands of a 14 years old, when Mario Lemieux praises his skills, people fall for it and expect him to score like crazy.

Komisarek is the single instance of massive overrating I will never be able to explain except by massive, planetary-scale alien abductions to suck up hockey fans' ability to put 2+2 together.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
holy sh*t !!
how did I forgot Miller ??? :D
btw IMO Komisarek is overrated because he's big ,fast and RD.. and kinda played well in the AHL .. but no way in hell he'll be a pronger or stevens type of player ...
but he could turn into a very solid 2/3rd defenseman and maybe if he works very very hard into a #1 D.. also IMO he's almost a surefire to play in the NHL ..IMO the worst he could fall would be a #6 defenseman ..

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I'll add a concept : the guy that was overhyped... BY ME!
Definately Milan Kraft.
I always thought the guy would be a great first line center, scoring machine and every year allstar.
Well he's having a good season, but it took him very long to break through (thanks in part to the Pens management) and I don't think he'll ever amount to the future HOFer I imagined he would become :joker:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The Norweigan Patrick Thoresen was an amusing one. With all his hype I looked to see who took him in the 1st round. And the 2nd. And the 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th ones...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Stevex said:
The Norweigan Patrick Thoresen was an amusing one. With all his hype I looked to see who took him in the 1st round. And the 2nd. And the 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th ones...

I think it was mainly his attitude that kept him from being drafted. Look how far O' Sullivan fell, and that was based on his crazy father.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Legionnaire said:
When was this?

I still make the Jagr comparison, but mainly in the sense of puck protection

It started popping up during his great season in Russia and became louder when he had a great WJC. The Jagr comparisons were not legions but still frequent and significant.

I still mourn the loss of the forum archives. There were months of comedy goldmine in there. Some of the stuff is so screwed up, you need to provide proof if you want folks to believe you. Like this:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=783189&highlight=hampered+scream#post783189

Also, the loss of archives means the loss of documented proof of my public bet with Dr. Chimera regarding Spezza VS Ruutu. I want my free lunch in 2007! :cry: :D

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Vlad The Impaler said:
It started popping up during his great season in Russia and became louder when he had a great WJC. The Jagr comparisons were not legions but still frequent and significant.

I still mourn the loss of the forum archives. There were months of comedy goldmine in there. Some of the stuff is so screwed up, you need to provide proof if you want folks to believe you. Like this:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=783189&highlight=hampered+scream#post783189

Also, the loss of archives means the loss of documented proof of my public bet with Dr. Chimera regarding Spezza VS Ruutu. I want my free lunch in 2007! :cry: :D

Oh, it's not that I didn't beleive you (at all), but more that I thought I was the first to make that comparison :mad: :p

I first came here in Feb 02 so I was just really wondering when that was because I don't remember that at all. Ironically enough, I first came here as Legion

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I think it was mainly his attitude that kept him from being drafted. Look how far O' Sullivan fell, and that was based on his crazy father.

Attitude is one thing, and can hurt your position, but this guy wasn't even drafted. Most teams are willing to waste a pic on the even the biggest ****heads, hoping he can be reformed with a little seasoning.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
How about the three former Caps prospects dealt for Jagr. They were all can't miss :joker:

Others
Milan Kraft
Jaime Lundmark
Manny Maholtra
Tuomo Ruutu
Salmanaian
Svitov (NHL ready my ass)
Komisarek
Brad Boyes
Rico Fata
ect

Liquidrage*

Takeo21 said:
Pitkanen most recently. The Bobby Orr comparisons are a tough pill to swallow.

Some of the Bobby Orr comparisions we're fair. I don't like saying that name, but they were fair.
Not ones saying he'll be the bext Orr, thats heresy.
But I said once, the Philly announcers have said once (that I've heard anyways, I usually get the away team's announcers though on Center Ice), that the time he tooks *laps* aronud the zone he looked like Orr. It was truely spectactular seeng a rookie Dman do that. Forgot which team it was against.

But anyone saying he's the next Orr is a of course vastly over doing it.
Regardless, I'll agree with some others that JBo is more overrated at this point. Despite playing two have a half seasons at a level below most people's expectations, he's still generally more highly regarded then Pitkanen, who's met or even exceeded some expectations.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Psycho Joe said:
Attitude is one thing, and can hurt your position, but this guy wasn't even drafted. Most teams are willing to waste a pic on the even the biggest ****heads, hoping he can be reformed with a little seasoning.

I really don't know Joe. That was just my best guestimation. You see it like every other draft though, a player who is ranked rather highly, who doesn't get drafted, and the only reason I can come up with is attitude.

Liquidrage*

For my money the most overrated prospect in my time here was Lundmark.

People we're still treating him as an elite prospect even after he couldn't stick with the big club a few times, even after he got some playing time and looked anything but special.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Liquidrage said:
Some of the Bobby Orr comparisions we're fair. I don't like saying that name, but they were fair.
Not ones saying he'll be the bext Orr, thats heresy.
But I said once, the Philly announcers have said once that I've head (I usually get the away team's announcers though on Center Ice), that the time he tooks *laps* aronud the zone he looked like Orr.

But anyone saying he's the next Orr is a of course vastly over doing it.
Regardless, I'll agree with some others that JBo is more overrated at this point. Despite playing two have a half seasons at a level below most people's expectations, he's still generally more highly regarded then Pitkanen, who's met or even exceeded some expectations.

I think that is the exact same case with Frolov. I don't think poster's were actually saying that Frolov is just as good as Jagr or Fedorov, but more that he reminded them of those players. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself because I DO see Jagr and Fedorov to some degree but to say he is better is pretty crazy.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Liquidrage said:

People we're still treating him as an elite prospect even after he couldn't stick with the big club a few times, even after he got some playing time and looked anything but special.

I'll see your Lundmark(because he's never really been given a solid opportunity) and raise you a Brendl ;)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
nucks2001 said:
Frolov?? He has 17 goals already this year on a team riddled with injuries.. sure is over hyped :dunno:

Considering how much he was hyped around here he would have to have 40 right now to earn his keep.

He's a great player but the hype around these boards...you'd think he was Sidney Crosby.

Deleted member 3032

nucks2001 said:
Frolov?? He has 17 goals already this year on a team riddled with injuries.. sure is over hyped :dunno:
Yeah, but I remember hearing how he was supposed to score 30 goals in his rookie year. Several times.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
Liquidrage said:

Lol, stop demonstrating your ignorance!

Most overated prospect in your time?

Give me a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad