Most off-the-board pick of all-time

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Adrian Foster pick was not off the board, he was a consensus 1st rounder the year of his draft but then he was hurt, re-entered the following year. Wasn't the 1st time a team took a chance at an injury prone player in round 1.

To me Blake Wheeler going as high as he did after being predicted a late 1st or early 2nd was a bigger shock.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Adrian Foster pick was not off the board, he was a consensus 1st rounder the year of his draft but then he was hurt, re-entered the following year. Wasn't the 1st time a team took a chance at an injury prone player in round 1.

To me Blake Wheeler going as high as he did after being predicted a late 1st or early 2nd was a bigger shock.

wasnt wheeler projected in round 3-4?? i could be wrong of course, but thats how i remember it. i believe he was ranked something like 70-75 among NA skaters. again, i could be way off.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
wasnt wheeler projected in round 3-4?? i could be wrong of course, but thats how i remember it. i believe he was ranked something like 70-75 among NA skaters. again, i could be way off.
No he was projected to be a late first rounder or an early second rounder.

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
By almost worked, you mean the league simply outright refusing the owner's attempt to re-define the entire concept of age, on a move that was so outrageous, that even Rick Dudley was embarrassed by it.

Haha that's true, the attempt was nixed right away...

Someone mentioned Brent Burns. He might've been off the board, but Bob McKenzie predicted this pick right before Risebrough announced Burns' name on the stage!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Sergei Bautin is one of the obvious choices here. When he was drafted the guys on TV went scrambling to find information about him because they had no idea who he was. It has been speculated that Mike Smith was actually intending to draft Sergei Brylin (who later went in the second round) and got him confused with Bautin.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
im going to go with pavel bure

"Pasha" was drafted in the sixth round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, 113th overall, by the Vancouver Canucks. It would turn out to be a controversial pick at that time because no 18 year old could be drafted after the third round unless he had played more than ten games in 2 seasons in a major league. The NHL Media Guide stated that Pavel had only played 5 games the year before, but Mike Penny (the Canucks' Chief Scout) discovered proof in the form of score sheets which had recorded that Pavel had played 11 games in that previous year.

from http://canuckslegends.blogspot.com/2006/05/pavel-bure.html

what confuses me is that, if the canucks knew he was draft elegible, why didnt they take him earlier, or wait till the last round, since no-one else knew.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
im going to go with pavel bure

"Pasha" was drafted in the sixth round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, 113th overall, by the Vancouver Canucks. It would turn out to be a controversial pick at that time because no 18 year old could be drafted after the third round unless he had played more than ten games in 2 seasons in a major league. The NHL Media Guide stated that Pavel had only played 5 games the year before, but Mike Penny (the Canucks' Chief Scout) discovered proof in the form of score sheets which had recorded that Pavel had played 11 games in that previous year.

from http://canuckslegends.blogspot.com/2006/05/pavel-bure.html

what confuses me is that, if the canucks knew he was draft elegible, why didnt they take him earlier, or wait till the last round, since no-one else knew.
well, i already went for Bure above in this thread, but here comes something disorienting..

i always thought that Pavel was considered UNeligible for the '89 draft as whole... (unless for those games' score sheets that only Vancouver knew about)
it's not like he was not supposed to be great in June '89.. and that's the same Summer when Makarov, Krutov and others started to cross the ocean.. so i have a HARD time believing no NHL team drafted Bure in the first three rounds in '89 if he was considered available.. that's like saying all NHL teams' staffs were Pejorative Slured back then (Canucks' one as well, as they couldn't know whether Bure was going to be picked in the first three rounds or not..)
:help:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

When the player taken in the 1st round wasn't even registered in the in the CSB's database, that's off the board.

toastman344*

I read a story on ( Tony ) Hand in THN a couple issues back. Seems like he could have been a good one had he been willing to spend a couple years in the minors for seasoning.

Yup I heard that too....He was the 200 something pick ( I forget )....But He's from the UK...Scotland I think...Definitely no Hockey Hotbed...Yet I also heard that Sather claimed he was the best player, after Gretzky, at one of the Oiler training camps

Sounds pretty crazy...but if u check out his ppg stats in the British Elite League, where there has been some pretty decent players ( believe it or not ) over the years...as well as his stats, when he played in the CHL, very breifly , as a junior ( sorry again, too lazy to check ) ...before TH apparently got home sick ( think it was the dub ) he put up some big numbers ( albeit in a limited number of games )

Tony Hand's stats are straight thru the stratosphere...No Kidding...I believe, This guy really could have come from nowhere ( strictly in a hockey sense ) to become a true sniper/ star in the NHL...

Is that overstating things? Maybe ,but I'm not so sure ! Again check out his stats...Dont know if Hockeydb would have them all...But if not, maybe ask some posters from the British Elite League to provide them ( if any are interested ) I'm sure they'd be tickled pink to oblige....Cause this guys credentials coming from a true Hockey Backwater seem pretty amazing imo...& are definitely worth a look for any would be Hockey Historian...

This much is fair to say....Tony Hand was the Wayne Gretzky of the UK...& I bet Sather would also agree...That TH might well have lit up the Show...Had he been willing to pay his dues...

CHEERS ET AL

toastman344*

Hey thanks...Nice Job...So what was that, 8 points in 3 games in the dub ? For a kid from....Scotland ? :)

Sure , not many games...STILL...Heady, Heady Stuff !

Oh What MIGHT Have Been...Eh Oiler Fans ??? :)

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Hickey at 4th will be a good one. Not of all time though, considering this draft. In a couple of years LA (Lombardi) could be considered geniuses.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Tony Hand's stats:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=3284

He is still active and even at the age of 40 put up 72 points in 51 games. His point per game average is 2,98.

Tony Hand actually has the most career points in a professional league of any player ever. The guy could have been a fantastic player but he got homesick and went home despite playing well in the Dub and impressing at camps. Shame he never tried again, could have been a great ambassador for the game in the UK.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
I submit Teemu Riihijarvi.
Only player in the 95 first round to never touch NHL ice.
Drafted between Iginla and Giguere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->