Most off-the-board pick of all-time

TheTruth

May 15, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Well, who was it? Niinimaki by the Oil in '02 at 15 despite being ranked 50E? Blake Wheeler at 5 overall? Nikolai Antropov at 12? I'm sure there's more, these are just off the top of my head. From what I've heard, someone besides the team that made the selection was gonna take Antro and Wheels early, so based on that I'd go with Niinimaki. Feel free to suggest others.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
"With the 184th pick of the 1974 NHL Entry Draft, the Buffalo Sabres select center Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katanas."

That is definitely the most off-the-board pick of all time :sarcasm:

Honestly, I have no idea. I guess every year there are those surprising players that get picked real early.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
wheeler is the only one i remember, so i'll go with him. i bet he was REALLY surprised himself aswell.

Bryzga lol*

I wonder if anyone ever informed Taro Tsujimoto that he was drafted.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I think the Capitals had to prove Viktor Dovgan existed when they picked him late in 2005. He wasn't on the board :biglaugh:.

Roccoman

Aug 9, 2005
Indiana
I think the Capitals had to prove Viktor Dovgan existed when they picked him late in 2005. He wasn't on the board :biglaugh:.

yea, i think it took over a year to prove that he was eligible for that draft... eventually it sorted out and he WAS eligble (some mix up on his date of birth if i recall correctly)

7th round, 209th overall... not really that off the wall ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well Brent Burns (most people were like WHO?) was a bit of a reach in 2003, which was an extremely deep draft. Especially over guys like Weber, Klein, and Stuart...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Devils choice of Adrian Foster in 2001 is a good choice.

A 1st round pick who wasn't even ranked to go anywhere in the draft.

That pick was pure arrogance, NJ could have had him in the 9th round probably.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Taro Tsujimoto, of the Tokyo Katanas of the Japanese Ice Hockey League drafted in the 11th round (183rd overall).

You may think that an 11th rounder would never be considered off the board to any extent but this guy is not only not a professional hockey, player but not even a person.

Buffalo Sabres GM Punch Imlach made this pick to make a stand on how tedious and unneeded late rounds are in the draft.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well, who was it? Niinimaki by the Oil in '02 at 15 despite being ranked 50E? Blake Wheeler at 5 overall? Nikolai Antropov at 12? I'm sure there's more, these are just off the top of my head. From what I've heard, someone besides the team that made the selection was gonna take Antro and Wheels early, so based on that I'd go with Niinimaki. Feel free to suggest others.

There were also rumours that another team like Colorado was going to take Niinimaki if the Oilers had not.

I'd go with Wheeler at 5, although other posters have mentioned a number of good choices as well.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The Devils choice of Adrian Foster in 2001 is a good choice.

A 1st round pick who wasn't even ranked to go anywhere in the draft.

now thats off the board, lol.

i just looked at he's stats. he played 5 games in hes draft year, 27 the year after that. and in he's first year as a pro he played 9 games. then he actually played some games, 44 games followed by 51. and then it was back to the usuall. 8 games in 05/06 and 10 games this season.

whats up with him?? is he the most injury prone player ever??

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
now thats off the board, lol.

i just looked at he's stats. he played 5 games in hes draft year, 27 the year after that. and in he's first year as a pro he played 9 games. then he actually played some games, 44 games followed by 51. and then it was back to the usuall. 8 games in 05/06 and 10 games this season.

whats up with him?? is he the most injury prone player ever??

Pretty much.

They felt he was the most skilled/talented player in the entire draft (which really wasn't a stretch as the guy has incredible natural skill).

He missed the whole year before due to a torn abdominal muscle, if I remember correctly and has had problems with that and other injuries ever since.

There is probably not a SINGLE PICK in the history of the draft as bizarre as the selection of Foster (at least as a 1st round pick).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Taro Tsujimoto, of the Tokyo Katanas of the Japanese Ice Hockey League drafted in the 11th round (183rd overall).

You may think that an 11th rounder would never be considered off the board to any extent but this guy is not only not a professional hockey, player but not even a person.

Buffalo Sabres GM Punch Imlach made this pick to make a stand on how tedious and unneeded late rounds are in the draft.

Actually, the name was picked randomly from a phone book, so he was a real person, just had absolutely nothing to do with hockey, and no such team as the Tokyo Katanas exist.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Actually, the name was picked randomly from a phone book, so he was a real person, just had absolutely nothing to do with hockey, and no such team as the Tokyo Katanas exist.

Well the player Taro Tsujimoto, of the Tokyo Katanas of the Japanese Ice Hockey League didn't exist but you're bound to hit any name at the size of the Japanese phonebook.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It wasn't a question of his existence but of verifying his true birthdate and, hence, his draft eligibility. That's hardly a huge off the board pick at that point in the draft, though. It was a gamble at that point and one I'm sure they'd do again since they turned out to be in the right on the matter.

Florida had some leap year shtick after they drafted Ovechkin in the 9th round in '03.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
For the Habs: Probably Bob Gainey... that was way off the board, but hey it didn't turn out so bad :sarcasm:

Niklas Kronwall maybe? Was undrafted in 1999 and turned out to be a 1st round pick in 2000.

heusy_57

Apr 9, 2004
I might be wrong about this, but didnt the Ducks draft Vitali Vishnevski 5th overall, when he was rated to go much later?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->