Most Loyal And Passionate fans of these 10 American Cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You can go around Philly for a week and never hear about the Flyers. Not so in Boston. Bruins are everywhere there, even when the team is boring.

If Buffalo hadn't been so terrible to watch the Sabres fans should be right up there. Those are hardcore hockey people.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
A lot of people saying Boston but didn't they not sell out a couple playoff games a few years ago, possibly on one of their SCF runs??

EDIT: Looked it up and can't find anything supporting this so maybe I'm just having a brain cramp and misremembering, or getting them confused with someone else.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Honest question:

In Minny, how would you rank the big 4 league teams in popularity?

1. Vikings
2. Wolves
3. Wild
4. Twins
??

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Why is Nashville an option?

Philly imo although Boston and New York are in there as well. Maybe Detroit too. All good hockey markets

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Why is Nashville an option?

Philly imo although Boston and New York are in there as well. Maybe Detroit too. All good hockey markets

The latest hype and Stanley cup final put them there but Nashville has faithful fans now for a long time ,which team do you Think should be there instead of Nashville?

I took Nashville last in in this list and the hype lately made my decision.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If market size isn't a primary determinant, this is easily Minne or Buffalo IMO. By a country mile. Imagine if either of those cities actually had a contending team.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Didn't the Pens almost relocate after a few bad years post-Jagr? It's easy to say you have a good fanbase when your team is good. You will see a fanbases' true colours when their team is struggling.

I think he was being sarcastic but I definitely echo the sentiment that Pittsburgh doesn't belong at the top of this list. I haven't spent an extended amount of time in the area, but from what I've seen and heard from people who have is that it is predominately a Steelers town and that they also focus a ton on their college sports.

There isn't really anything about them that sets them above any of the other major northeastern sports markets.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
• "Loyalty" per capita to the NHL team (not high school / college / etc.), I go with Buffalo.
• Overall hockey passion/knowledge? It's MIN; BOS is probably next as HS/college hockey are huge up there.

NYR, PHI, BOS, DET, MIN are all pretty good U.S. hockey destinations.

WSH is closer to NSH than the other "hardcore" U.S. cities (I lived in DC for 5 years until moving to SF this Summer). No one in DC proper cares much about the Caps, though you get some diehard fans commuting in from NoVA / S. MD.

Not going to comment on CHI; too biased.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Minny, Boston is traditional original 6 shouldn't be in the poll along with Rags and Hawks
Buffalo is good call considering they have been terrible for years and still have people show up.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Philly fans are passionate but in my opinion the Flyers have never really had an extended period where the team was bad. A couple of bad seasons now and again but they have been a pretty successful franchise for a long time. I chose Buffalo because it seems like their fans show up no matter what.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Didn't the Pens almost relocate after a few bad years post-Jagr? It's easy to say you have a good fanbase when your team is good. You will see a fanbases' true colours when their team is struggling.
For the 83 millionth time, the Penguins near relocation in the mid 2000s had nothing to do with fan support and everything to do with the team losing money hand over fist because of a terrible arena lease with an arena that was falling apart and their previous owner spending like a big-market team.
I think he was being sarcastic but I definitely echo the sentiment that Pittsburgh doesn't belong at the top of this list. I haven't spent an extended amount of time in the area, but from what I've seen and heard from people who have is that it is predominately a Steelers town and that they also focus a ton on their college sports.

There isn't really anything about them that sets them above any of the other major northeastern sports markets.

There's a thread about this on the Pens board and I encourage you to check it out. Among people under 30 there's a case to be made that people are much more passionate about the Penguins than the Steelers. The thread goes more in depth. Also Pitt athletics is like a cute little side show in town. Nowhere near as popular as the pro teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly fans are passionate but in my opinion the Flyers have never really had an extended period where the team was bad. A couple of bad seasons now and again but they have been a pretty successful franchise for a long time. I chose Buffalo because it seems like their fans show up no matter what.

The Flyers missed the playoffs 5 years in a row from 1999-2004. They still drew over 17,000 every year.

The Sabres dropped to 12,894 in the 80's and 13,738 in the 90's.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Flyers missed the playoffs 5 years in a row from 1999-2004. They still drew over 17,000 every year.

The Sabres dropped to 12,894 in the 80's and 13,738 in the 90's.

Uuuuhhh actually no, the Flyers did not miss the playoffs even once over that time frame.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Went with Minnesota

Not sure why Chicago is on this list.

this.

When Chicago was struggling in the early 2000's into the late 2000's they were the worst of the original 6 by far in terms of attendance.

Minnesota always packed their stadiums whether the sucked or not. I felt their wraith when we faced them in 2003. They are a legit fan base and should be number 1.

New York seem to always pack their stadium, but I think its due to high population.

Also why is Dallas not an option? It's Huge down in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->