Most Influential Scientist of All-Time (#1)

Most influential scientist (#1)

• Stephen Hawking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Edison

• Max Planck

• Henry Cavendish

• Nicolaus Copernicus

• Louis Pasteur

• Michael Faraday

• Timothy Berners-Lee

• Watson & Crick

• Alexander Fleming

• Alexander Graham Bell

• James Clerk Maxwell

• Total voters

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
At least no one voted for Edison

mostly because he stole most of his inventions and is he not a scientist in the sense of the word?

I still say based upon the wording of the question that is what is causing the confusion

"who was the most important scientist of all time"

the word influential is causing the problem

As for my comments on Feynman? Look into the Manhattan project and his influence on that and then his involvement in the shuttle esplosion

Last edited:

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I guess Newton, but he had an equal in Leibniz (more or less). From a personal perspective I'd vote for those quantum mechanics dudes, Planck, Schrodinger, Fermi, etc.. We wouldn't even posting on here if it wasn't for them and their out of the box thinking.

HM: Maxwell.

Most overrated: Einstein

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Went with Archimedes because he determined there was procedure to phenomenon, and because there was procedure he could use mathematics to describe phenomena, especially phenomena of movement. Much of his formulas were not improved on until Newton and Liebniz together discovered the solution for handling multiple movements at once within a single phenomenon.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Galileo
Faraday
Newton
Einstein

all equally as important
Pretty good, though I don't have Faraday quite on this list.

Gauss and Euler were incredible, but probably count more as mathematicians? Emmy Noether would then be up there as well.

Tesla does not belong on this list of options in general. He is an inventor, not a scientist, and was actually almost pseudo-scientific at times, and is incredibly overrated by his weird cult-following that attributes mythical things to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PromisedLand

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It's also my take that Einstein is not overrated despite claims that seem to be valid on the surface, and that Edison was completely fine and nowhere near the evil dude he's made out to be.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Gauss and Euler were incredible, but probably count more as mathematicians? Emmy Noether would then be up there as well.

Tesla does not belong on this list of options in general. He is an inventor, not a scientist, and was actually almost pseudo-scientific at times, and is incredibly overrated by his weird cult-following that attributes mythical things to him.

Inventors are industrial/applied scientists.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Which is why I didn't mention Edison - Tesla was an inventor who was at times demonstrably anti-science, which for me wipes out his claim to the title of "scientist."

He was also definitely very well versed in the application of actual science in most of his inventions. No one's perfect.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Fair enough

The way I see it

- if Gallileo didn’t work on falling bodies (also let’s not forget the telescope ;))

- newton would not have been able to have his laws of motion and then come up with the concept of gravity. Not to forget the invention of Calculas ;)

- and without newton’s work; Einstein would not have been able to change the landscape of physics by defining what is gravity and curvature of space/time

- and I really should have also listed quantum mechanics folks like shrodinger; without whom modern world as we know it with all the gizmos might not have been possible

I do hope that einstein’s wish comes true to have a one unifying theory that ties in quantum mechanics with macros of the universe. The probabilities associated with quantum mmechanics do freak me out a bit lol :laugh:

P.S. only reason I listed Faraday was because of the discovery of one of the most important force the electromagnetic force ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fair enough

The way I see it

- if Gallileo didn’t work on falling bodies (also let’s not forget the telescope ;))

- newton would not have been able to have his laws of motion and then come up with the concept of gravity. Not to forget the invention of Calculas ;)

- and without newton’s work; Einstein would not have been able to change the landscape of physics by defining what is gravity and curvature of space/time

- and I really should have also listed quantum mechanics folks like shrodinger; without whom modern world as we know it with all the gizmos might not have been possible

I do hope that einstein’s wish comes true to have a one unifying theory that ties in quantum mechanics with macros of the universe. The probabilities associated with quantum mmechanics do freak me out a bit lol :laugh:

P.S. only reason I listed Faraday was because of the discovery of one of the most important force the electromagnetic force ;)

The beauty of science is that each generation builds upon the previous one.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
He was also definitely very well versed in the application of actual science in most of his inventions. No one's perfect.
In a very engineering sense, yeah. I don't mean to make it sound like I hate the guy (I even built his coil for fun) but I definitely reflexively push back on a lot of the popularity he gets (and a visit to the "Nikola Tesla facebook page would quickly show you why). But if Maxwell's equations were even developed when he was doing his stuff, I bet anything he didn't know how to use them. And his bizarre takes on relativity were stupid.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The beauty of science is that each generation builds upon the previous one.

Yup!!!!

Now if only human beings on the planet could do the same thing as a whole so that we can leave behind a better world for our children than we inherited - that would be progress!!!

Someone send a memo to Trump :laugh:

;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In a very engineering sense, yeah. I don't mean to make it sound like I hate the guy (I even built his coil for fun) but I definitely reflexively push back on a lot of the popularity he gets (and a visit to the "Nikola Tesla facebook page would quickly show you why). But if Maxwell's equations were even developed when he was doing his stuff, I bet anything he didn't know how to use them. And his bizarre takes on relativity were stupid.

To be fair though, most revolutionary scientists had some bizarre theories. Some were only bizarre for their time and were eventually proven true, others were actually bizarre. Those type of people tend to think way, way, WAY outside of the box. And when you do that, sometimes you look silly 100 years in the future.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Fair enough

The way I see it

Quite a good layout. And it's not that Faraday was undeserving, that might not be fair to me. I just kinda worship the other three :P

QM is interesting, because there is no one guy that had as much influence as an Einstein or Newton did. Nobody pulled QM out of the f***ing blue in such a manner as that it might not have existed for 100 years without them, as was the case with Newton and Einstein. But there's no doubt that Fermi, Dirac, Schwinger, Schrodinger, Planck et. al. were absolute giants.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
To be fair though, most revolutionary scientists had some bizarre theories. Some were only bizarre for their time and were eventually proven true, others were actually bizarre. Those type of people tend to think way, way, WAY outside of the box. And when you do that, sometimes you look silly 100 years in the future.
Also true, but I think every no-BS scientist on this list had far greater reverence and understanding of their field and of the scientific method than Nikola did.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also true, but I think every no-BS scientist on this list had far greater reverence and understanding of their field and of the scientific method than Nikola did.

That's fair, but it was more of a Wild West as far as scientific method and reverence were concerned during the time Tesla was practicing his craft. Not everyone was on the same page all the time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Quite a good layout. And it's not that Faraday was undeserving, that might not be fair to me. I just kinda worship the other three :P

QM is interesting, because there is no one guy that had as much influence as an Einstein or Newton did. Nobody pulled QM out of the ****ing blue in such a manner as that it might not have existed for 100 years without them, as was the case with Newton and Einstein. But there's no doubt that Fermi, Dirac, Schwinger, Schrodinger, Planck et. al. were absolute giants.

Have you seen stuff from Neil degrasee Tyson? That guy is a huge Newton fanboy :laugh:

He has interesting videos on YouTube

Reactions: GellMann

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
That's fair, but it was more of a Wild West as far as scientific method and reverence were concerned during the time Tesla was practicing his craft. Not everyone was on the same page all the time.
Also fair.

I'd probably never say Tesla's name again, especially not in a negative light, if my friends didn't constantly share stoned statuses about how the entire world would be running on free wireless electricity if he hadn't been assassinated by the new world order.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also fair.

I'd probably never say Tesla's name again, especially not in a negative light, if my friends didn't constantly share stoned statuses about how the entire world would be running on free wireless electricity if he hadn't been assassinated by the new world order.

This is hilarious but so true. His cult of personality has grown to massive proportions.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I chose Darwin because he completely changed the framing of science. No longer were we God's enlightened children, but rather ordinary mammals who just happened to have the right suite of traits at the right time.

The way he was able to divorce reason from rhetoric IMO laid the groundwork for the scientific advancement seen in the 20th century. Science would have still happened without him of course, but I think he really changed the framing and context of science in a way that no other scientist has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->