Most Influential Scientist of All-Time (#1)

Most influential scientist (#1)

• Stephen Hawking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Edison

• Max Planck

• Henry Cavendish

• Nicolaus Copernicus

• Louis Pasteur

• Michael Faraday

• Timothy Berners-Lee

• Watson & Crick

• Alexander Fleming

• Alexander Graham Bell

• James Clerk Maxwell

• Total voters

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In terms of influence on our, every day lives? It's my countryman Tesla by far.

If Tesla had his way, the world would have less conflicts, less needless for all living beings (Including animals), less poverty, etc., etc. We'd probably already be a type I civilization on the Kardashev scale and going to a type II.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Tesla had his way, the world would have less conflicts, less needless for all living beings (Including animals), less poverty, etc., etc. We'd probably already be a type I civilization on the Kardashev scale and going to a type II.

"Nikola Tesla claimed to have invented a "death beam" which he called teleforce in the 1930s and continued the claims up until his death"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There's a reason why Richard Feynman isn't on a list with Isaac Newton.

The Neither should Einstein with Hawkings--

I am geek when it comes to stuff like that and on the list provided

again

I think some are getting the key word is INFLUENCED-- inspired is something else

Sommerfield has been and still is highly influential when it came to his students and the knock on affect their teachings

Many people believe Feynman reinvented how physics was taught and people who had little or no interest in Physics were drawn to it due to is techniques

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
"Influence" is tough to define, because it could mean so many different things in different fields.

But I think a name not even on your list, should probably be in the top three.

Maurice Hilleman was a pioneering vaccinologist who developed more than 40 vaccines, including 8 of the 14 currently standard. These include measles, mumps, Hep A, Hep B, meningitis, and pneumonia, among others.

No scientist of the 20th Century saved more lives than Hilleman. He was directly responsible for many millions of lives saved. As far as "influence" goes, I think that's pretty good.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Neither should Einstein with Hawkings--

I am geek when it comes to stuff like that and on the list provided

again

I think some are getting the key word is INFLUENCED-- inspired is something else

Sommerfield has been and still is highly influential when it came to his students and the knock on affect their teachings

Many people believe Feynman reinvented how physics was taught and people who had little or no interest in Physics were drawn to it due to is techniques

So I guess Carl Sagan, Neil De Grasse Tyson and Bill Nye are missing from the list.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
"Influence" is tough to define, because it could mean so many different things in different fields.

But I think a name not even on your list, should probably be in the top three.

Maurice Hilleman was a pioneering vaccinologist who developed more than 40 vaccines, including 8 of the 14 currently standard. These include measles, mumps, Hep A, Hep B, meningitis, and pneumonia, among others.

No scientist of the 20th Century saved more lives than Hilleman. He was directly responsible for many millions of lives saved. As far as "influence" goes, I think that's pretty good.

I saw a doc on him that openly participated in and it was funny in how dealt with staff who did not meet his level of demands. His line was something like "We all have standards and when someone comes to my lab-they are told before they arrive if they do not meet those standards-they will be dismissed" -I think the record was less then an hour from being hired to being fired in his lab

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw a doc on him that openly participated in and it was funny in how dealt with staff who did not meet his level of demands. His line was something like "We all have standards and when someone comes to my lab-they are told before they arrive if they do not meet those standards-they will be dismissed" -I think the record was less then an hour from being hired to being fired in his lab

It's also in his Wikipedia article.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Robert Gallo for modern times was one of the first to openly use what is now commonly called "crowd sourcing"--in the medical field in the battle against HIV--previously most labs guarded their studies like a holy bible--now they share and expand the basic information. Instead of everyone studying the same thing--when one group makes a break through--they tell the others trying to find a cure about it and the others then make the changes to their studies and testing to ensure that their studies are not redundant. His group started doing that when they went to a conference and found out a break through had been made on what they were doing and made their research redundant and he was annoyed at wasting two years on something that someone else had discovered--while not all scientist like sharing--since he convinced others trying to find a cure to share more--that is one reason why in the last 20 years there has been so many advances in HIV studies

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I guess Carl Sagan, Neil De Grasse Tyson and Bill Nye are missing from the list.

The fact you mention Bill Nye tells me how uneducated your are on the subject

My guy--INFLUENCED both Sagan and Tyson and created a new style of teaching for physics

my guy took physics from the dark ages of teaching to what we have now

most people who work in the physics field today work in it due to my guy.

the fact you bring up Bill Nye tells me you do not understand his background

Tyson and Sagan both had the doctorates--which is on line

NYE has three BS's which is Bachelor of Science

when NASA got into trouble--they called my guy

and again I will use the word in the OP "INFLUENCE"

Newton influenced Einstein who influenced my guy who has more cred then some others on the list

IF you want to remove my guy from the debate---the same reasons used to remove him would be used to remove Einstein

My guy was Einstein's protege

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact you mention Bill Nye tells me how uneducated your are on the subject

My guy--INFLUENCED both Sagan and Tyson and created a new style of teaching for physics

my guy took physics from the dark ages of teaching to what we have now

most people who work in the physics field today work in it due to my guy.

the fact you bring up Bill Nye tells me you do not understand his background

Tyson and Sagan both had the doctorates--which is on line

NYE has three BS's which is Bachelor of Science

when NASA got into trouble--they called my guy

and again I will use the word in the OP "INFLUENCE"

Newton influenced Einstein who influenced my guy who has more cred then some others on the list

IF you want to remove my guy from the debate---the same reasons used to remove him would be used to remove Einstein

It was a joke.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Using "influenced" without much effort to define what should qualify under that tag here is definitely making this vote rather unlikely to be representative of anything.

I definitely have no idea who I'd vote for, at least.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Using "influenced" without much effort to define what should qualify under that tag here is definitely making this vote rather unlikely to be representative of anything.

I definitely have no idea who I'd vote for, at least.

It's meant to be deliberately open to interpretation.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Bohr and to a lesser degree Planck changed the world of physics from classical to modern. I'd take Bohr on that list.
Einstein is overrated (I guess because of the funny photo)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad