Most impressive goalie in the tournament?

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Before the tourney:
1. Tuuku Rask
2. Carey Price
3. Varlamov

Now:
1. Carey Price
2. German Goalie
3. Varlamov

Im very dissapointed with Rask so far as well (though I am a Hab fan ;)

I guess I see why Varlamov shouldn't move from the #3 spot? Two shutouts and another game with one goal allowed. Maybe you should move him to #4 or 5 on your list.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
And having seen all Price's work, he's put on a great display of top quality goaltending so far. He's a better athlete than 99 per cent of the guys at this tournament.

What I've liked about Price is how he combines great size with a very solid technique (which bodes well for consistency and making the game easy for him) and athleticism (for when he needs to make the big save). As a goalie, I've always had a "stay up, stay square, and challenge the shooter" mantra, and so far Price has done just that and it's made life really easy for him right now. It seems simple enough, but even in the NHL you'll see goalies getting in trouble if they're going down too early, or cheating a bit (instead of facing the shooter head on), or being shy and playing too deep in their crease. Obviously having Canada's D helps him a lot too, but he's making some very difficult stops look very routine, just by keeping things simple, which is why he's only been scored on a screen shot, a fluke rebound off the end boards, an empty net (after he was bowled over), and a 5-on-3 cross crease pass that deflected off his D. Again, Canada's D is making things easy--usually letting him see the puck, clearing the rebounds, and limiting odd man rushes--but even ignoring his sparkling saves, he's making a lot of easy saves just by staying up, staying square, challenging the shooter, and staying with the shooter, where A LOT of other goalies, especially at the junior level (even if they are world class), would be flopping around to make great saves or allowing goals that they "had no chance on."

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
What I've liked about Price is how he combines great size with a very solid technique (which bodes well for consistency and making the game easy for him) and athleticism (for when he needs to make the big save). As a goalie, I've always had a "stay up, stay square, and challenge the shooter" mantra, and so far Price has done just that and it's made life really easy for him right now. It seems simple enough, but even in the NHL you'll see goalies getting in trouble if they're going down too early, or cheating a bit (instead of facing the shooter head on), or being shy and playing too deep in their crease. Obviously having Canada's D helps him a lot too, but he's making some very difficult stops look very routine, just by keeping things simple, which is why he's only been scored on a screen shot, a fluke rebound off the end boards, an empty net (after he was bowled over), and a 5-on-3 cross crease pass that deflected off his D. Again, Canada's D is making things easy--usually letting him see the puck, clearing the rebounds, and limiting odd man rushes--but even ignoring his sparkling saves, he's making a lot of easy saves just by staying up, staying square, challenging the shooter, and staying with the shooter, where A LOT of other goalies, especially at the junior level (even if they are world class), would be flopping around to make great saves or allowing goals that they "had no chance on."

Very good post, and I agree entirely...he hasen't needed to be spectacular for the most part, just solid goaltending with some difficult saves made to look easy.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Price has progressed nicely. He had a terrible training camp but i like what isee right now.... and this is from a leaf fan.

Hes a very athletic goalie who can handle the puck and is never out of position. But lets face it he hasnt faced the toughest of tasks yet, but the games should be alot harder from now on out.

Varlamov has been the best tender so far in the tourney.... hands down. Price is next in line then the German

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Price has progressed nicely. He had a terrible training camp but i like what isee right now.... and this is from a leaf fan.

Hes a very athletic goalie who can handle the puck and is never out of position. But lets face it he hasnt faced the toughest of tasks yet, but the games should be alot harder from now on out.

Varlamov has been the best tender so far in the tourney.... hands down. Price is next in line then the German

And which games have you SEEN of Varlamov that you thought he looked the most impressive??

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
No special order...

Varlamov
Price
Rask
(even though his results are not typical "RSAK" results, he should be a darn good goalie in the NHL, he's still very young, raw...).

The #1 German goalie deserves some attention (due to team's surprisingly good results). The #2 German goalie wasn't so bad, either...

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I guess I see why Varlamov shouldn't move from the #3 spot? Two shutouts and another game with one goal allowed. Maybe you should move him to #4 or 5 on your list.
The reason Varlamov is 3rd is because he isnt facing alot of shots, and hasnt been put under pressure. Price has and has had just as good success doing it. The German goalie has stood tall for his team even if they are a defensive team. I dont care know one really knew bout this kid and he has done very well. Hell, the backup only gave up 3 against Canada

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
No special order...

Varlamov
Price
Rask
(even though his results are not typical "RSAK" results, he should be a darn good goalie in the NHL, he's still very young, raw...).

The #1 German goalie deserves some attention (due to team's surprisingly good results). The #2 German goalie wasn't so bad, either...

I agree with this list. Price or Varlamov will be selected as the goalie of the tourney. I dont see Rask to get enough support from his teammates to win that award.

wildone26*

Price is being screwed over left and right, he was robbed of player of the game twice. So even if he ends the tournament with a 97% SV% and Canada wins the gold he wont win goalie of the tournament or any award.

turnbuckle*

Price has had something like 120 shots compared to 90 or so for Varlamov, but only let in one more goal.

The Canadians were playing in the stronger division as well IMO - The Canadians, Swedes and Americans may be three of the top four teams in the tournament, perhaps even the top three. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Swedish/Canada final, with Canada defeating the Americans and Sweden defeating the Russians in the semi-finals.

Price has been the best goalie in the tournament IMO.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Through no fault of his own he hasn't played enough to warrant 'Top Goalie of the Tournament' talk, but Jeff Frazee seems very composed and confident. He was exactly what the americans needed in net. He handles the puck very well, he gives out precious few rebounds, he's not overly big but thats OK. Admittedly I haven't seen him play at all between WJC's but he seems like a different goalie all together then the one who played last year in Vancouver. I guess when you're still that young 1 year CAN make a big difference.

Conversely, I was not impressed by any part of Jeff Zatkoff's game. He seemed to have zero confidence in the net, gave up juicy rebounds regularily and was dreadful everytime he handled the puck. Hopefully we've seen the last of him in Sweden.

Joretus

Don't overrate Varlamov. He wasn't realy tested yet, except game against Cze probably.

I bet 99% of posters who are bashing Rask and praising Varlamov haven't seen any of their games.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't know, I think Varlamov was impressive against Finland (the only game I've seen from him in this tournament). Sure he didn't have much work to do, but he made a couple nice saves. Couldnt have done any better since he didn't allow any goals.

Joretus

I don't know, I think Varlamov was impressive against Finland (the only game I've seen from him in this tournament). Sure he didn't have much work to do, but he made a couple nice saves. Couldnt have done any better since he didn't allow any goals.

Yes he did well, but as you did say he didn't have much to do. I mean are you top goalie if you don't have to do much. Did he made Russia better, yes, but not so much since he haven't to.

Same time Rask did made Finland better, but even top goalies can't save teams if they are just too bad.

And I would put Varlamov over Rask in this tournament too, but not like saying Rask have been really bad and Varlamov really great.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Yes he did well, but as you did say he didn't have much to do. I mean are you top goalie if you don't have to do much. Did he made Russia better, yes, but not so much since he haven't to.

Same time Rask did made Finland better, but even top goalies can't save teams if they are just too bad.

And I would put Varlamov over Rask in this tournament too, but not like saying Rask have been really bad and Varlamov really great.

Well Pogge was a top goalie last year and he didn't have much work to do.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I bet 99% of posters who are bashing Rask and praising Varlamov haven't seen any of their games.

I think you are right. It's not fair to blame or bash Rask being in a such undisciplined team like Finland is. It's much easier for a goalie to play in a strong team with disciplined strong skaters, when he don't has to play all the time in penaltykilling as its the case by Varlamov.

Kaktus*

Price has had something like 120 shots compared to 90 or so for Varlamov, but only let in one more goal.

The Canadians were playing in the stronger division as well IMO - The Canadians, Swedes and Americans may be three of the top four teams in the tournament, perhaps even the top three. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Swedish/Canada final, with Canada defeating the Americans and Sweden defeating the Russians in the semi-finals.

Price has been the best goalie in the tournament IMO.
I am sorry but how is pool A stronger then pool B? I fail to see it.
Assuming Canada and Russia are the best teams.

Team Finland can beat USA. Czechs can beat Swedes. Lets just wait another round before saying pool A is better then pool B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
So far I think we can talk about only single game performances. Varlamov and Price just do their job and wasn't tested yet and they have most organized teams in front of them also. For me Price looks not better than Glass and Pogge at previous WJCs.The same with Varlamov. Just imagine Price and Varlamov in the net for Slovakia and Germany :innocent:

Pavelec has shown something from another world in game against Russia, especially in 2nd period. German goalie was good in game against USA. Rask saved a lot for Team Finland according to reports from other games and made few fantastic saves against Russia. Frazee helped USA to beat Sweden. Every goalie showed something at least in one game so far. Can't select one goalie over another yet, but probably would go with Pavelec. Liked him in a game against Russia.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad