Most Impressive 2001 Born Rookies

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
An annual article, I look at the most impressive "true" rookies in the OHL this year. That means the top 2001 born players. This is not meant to be a draft prognostication or ranking, but more recognition of the rookies who have had a big impact on their team this year and impressed because of it.

This year, I think the top 3 are extremely obvious, but after that, there could be an argument made for pretty much any player mentioned in the article (including the HM's).

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Most Impressive 2001 Born Players

The list is:

1. Arthur Kaliyev
2. Blake Murray
3. Ryan Suzuki
4. Nick Robertson
5. Andrew Perrott
6. Nick Wong
7. Philip Tomasino
8. Graeme Clark
9. Cody Morgan
10. Billy Constantinou

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Solid list
Though I am surprised both Nathan Staios and Daniel D'amico from Windsor didn't get a honorable mention at least, both have had impressive seasons,both plus players, D'amico for a 6th rounder, great value 11 goals,a number of them important ones, Staios on a rookie laden dcorps,5 in total, including 3-16 year olds.
On a rebuilding club their efforts and talent has not gone unnoticed.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Although a late comer to the league Michel Vukojevic young Dman on the Rangers will be a force in this league. Still a bit raw. Pro size already and showing he can compete.

Reactions: EvenSteven

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Solid list
Though I am surprised both Nathan Staios and Daniel D'amico from Windsor didn't get a honorable mention at least, both have had impressive seasons,both plus players, D'amico for a 6th rounder, great value 11 goals,a number of them important ones, Staios on a rookie laden dcorps,5 in total, including 3-16 year olds.
On a rebuilding club their efforts and talent has not gone unnoticed.
An annual article, I look at the most impressive "true" rookies in the OHL this year. That means the top 2001 born players. This is not meant to be a draft prognostication or ranking, but more recognition of the rookies who have had a big impact on their team this year and impressed because of it.

This year, I think the top 3 are extremely obvious, but after that, there could be an argument made for pretty much any player mentioned in the article (including the HM's).

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Most Impressive 2001 Born Players

The list is:

1. Arthur Kaliyev
2. Blake Murray
3. Ryan Suzuki
4. Nick Robertson
5. Andrew Perrott
6. Nick Wong
7. Philip Tomasino
8. Graeme Clark
9. Cody Morgan
10. Billy Constantinou

These lists are probably difficult and there are a lot of players that could be mentioned. But if we are to mention Cody Morgan for his work in Windsor (6g 8a 14pts in 29 games) then I don’t understand how Hayden Fowler doesn’t get his recognition in Erie (9g 8a 17pts in 26 games). Fowler has looked great with more ice in Erie compared to being buried in SSM. Shorter sample size for his statistics but his ppg total since January is up there with guys you have in your top 10. And he didn’t even get HM..

Reactions: soo hound girl

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I have been impressed with Gens Mitchell Brewer. Not a flashy points guy but a solid stay-at-home D-man.

His plus/minus +15 is second best among Gens defenders.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Nice list, Brock. I'm pleased to see that you learned from last year when you left Barrett Hayton off of the list. Joe Carroll and Cole McKay haven't put up gaudy numbers on a deep Hounds team, but I expect them to break out with more ice time next year, much like Hayton has.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What are your thoughts on the other London 01's? McMichael, Rowe and Duhart.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I have been impressed with Gens Mitchell Brewer. Not a flashy points guy but a solid stay-at-home D-man.

His plus/minus +15 is second best among Gens defenders.

He probably leads the league in blocked shots too, if the OHL kept track of them

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
These lists are probably difficult and there are a lot of players that could be mentioned. But if we are to mention Cody Morgan for his work in Windsor (6g 8a 14pts in 29 games) then I don’t understand how Hayden Fowler doesn’t get his recognition in Erie (9g 8a 17pts in 26 games). Fowler has looked great with more ice in Erie compared to being buried in SSM. Shorter sample size for his statistics but his ppg total since January is up there with guys you have in your top 10. And he didn’t even get HM..

As I mentioned on twitter, in response to a similar question, these types of lists are ultimately going to be extremely subjective and related to your exposure to the players. Fowler is a guy that I mostly saw with SSM, as I have not seen Erie much in the second half. And while in SSM, Carroll and Mackay were both better. That's part of the reason why the Greyhounds likely didn't think twice about giving him up in the Raddysh deal. That said, glad to see he's played so well in Erie. But I have to cut the list off somewhere.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
What are your thoughts on the other London 01's? McMichael, Rowe and Duhart.

Definitely like McMichael. He has a ton of potential. Has done pretty well with London so far and was a guy I had considered listing as an HM.

Rowe and Duhart, too early to tell. Truthfully, neither has really been noticeable at all in all my viewings of London (if they've even been in the lineup). Liked Rowe in the OHL Cup last year. Kid can shoot the puck. We'll see what both look like next year with added strength/speed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
One '01 not on the list (understandable) that I'm truly looking forward to watching over the next few seasons is Spitfires' Daniel D'Amico. He flew in under the radar a bit in camp, but he's proven to be nothing short of a gem for this team. Not big (5'10 175ish), but can score, throw the body, and skates well. He's also pretty poised; doesn't really get involved in the dirty stuff, even after physical play. Tough to compare him to anyone just yet but I can see him getting 20+ goals down the road and really making a name for himself.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
bobber is right in his post above. Vukojevic in Kitchener is playing like an 18 year old yet he's only played 21 games in this league.

He's been asked to play more and more important minutes in Kitchener and finds himself out there vs older players regularly.

Today for instance vs Saginaw he was clocked at 27 minutes time on ice.

At 6'3" and 212lbs, he's got could size and uses it well. He isn't the least bit awkward at that size as a 16 year old.

From the day he set foot on the ice in this league, he's made it impossible for the Rangers to take him out of the lineup. By the end of the post season, I'm thinking he'll easily be making this top ten list.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I kinda get a kick out of this thread. 'why isnt my favourite teams kid on your list lol'

I get it. I have never responded touting a player from my favourite team as to why they are not on this particular list. But I was genuinely surprised not to see Vukojevic on the list - or considering his small window in the league, at least an honourable mention.

Especially once you read his rundown of the number 10 ranked player Billy Constantinou. He says that "From what I've seen this year, outside of Mike Vukojevic, Constantinou has the highest potential of any 2001 age group defender in the OHL."

The way that reads, it tells me that Michael Vukojevic has the highest potential. It sort of makes you expect to look back up the list to find him ranked higher.

Yet he isn't found anywhere either on the list or as an honourable mention. So that means Brock has 4 D ahead of him. Just found it odd and worth a post.

Brock, is Vukojevic's absence due to his small sample size? Only 21 games played?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I get it. I have never responded touting a player from my favourite team as to why they are not on this particular list. But I was genuinely surprised not to see Vukojevic on the list - or considering his small window in the league, at least an honourable mention.

Especially once you read his rundown of the number 10 ranked player Billy Constantinou. He says that "From what I've seen this year, outside of Mike Vukojevic, Constantinou has the highest potential of any 2001 age group defender in the OHL."

The way that reads, it tells me that Michael Vukojevic has the highest potential. It sort of makes you expect to look back up the list to find him ranked higher.

Yet he isn't found anywhere either on the list or as an honourable mention. So that means Brock has 4 D ahead of him. Just found it odd and worth a post.

Brock, is Vukojevic's absence due to his small sample size? Only 21 games played?

i dont even care to be honest, its just brock's opinion. i just chuckle, if we add up all the names on said here brock would need to have 20/30 names on his top 10 lol

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
"Just needs to become less of a stopper and more of a goaltender as rebound control is an issue. " - that's a great quote. Never heard it put that way before.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hey Brock,
What are your thoughts on Tag Bertuzzi? Does he have much upside?

Too early too give up on him despite a lackluster first season. Injuries and a lack of ice time can be tough to overcome for a 16 year old. I still think he has a fair amount of upside and he showed flashes of it this year (in particular when paired with Primeau and Stevenson on a nice young 4th line).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Yup. Exactly. Have only seen Vukojevic play twice and once was in one of his first few games. Love the upside of the kid and I am hearing some outstanding things. Probably could have earned an HM. But ultimately, my lack of exposure to him thus far eliminated him from the list.

Reactions: SYWTom

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
We are VERY happy in Flint with the play and potential of both Luke Cavallin and Ethan Keppen, the two Firebirds given Honorable Mentions in the article.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
We are VERY happy in Flint with the play and potential of both Luke Cavallin and Ethan Keppen, the two Firebirds given Honorable Mentions in the article.
Been pretty happy with Gretz, Harris and even Pilon too but I don't think they've done enough to be on the list. Yet.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I’m going to name drop Colton Kammerer in here as well. He’s been scratched a bit in the second half due to Sarnia’s depth, but his poise and reliability as a very young Dman were a very pleasant surprise for the Sting in the first half of the season.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Been pretty happy with Gretz, Harris and even Pilon too but I don't think they've done enough to be on the list. Yet.
Gretz has been good. I'm not saying that Harris and Pilon won't end up being good, but I can't say that right now they deserve mention in a thread titled "Most Impressive 2001 Born Rookies".

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fowler up to 19pts in 27 games in Erie. Has looked legit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->