Most Important Wins by Country

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Kasparaitis, Zubrus, Zherdev, Zhitnik and Mikhnov came to mind in about 2 seconds

Kasparaitis is a Dynamo Moscow product. Made his choice to play for Russia early on. He is a Russian player.

Zhitnik never played for Ukraine, played for Russia since 92, but sure you can count him since he is a Sokol product.

The other three are irrelevent since the talk was about the USSR.

Karamahti*

The other three are irrelevent since the talk was about the USSR.

You don´t read too well do you? In my previous post I stated that during the past 15 years many non-russians have played for russia and that´s why I asked about the 1981 soviet team. That makes it relevant.
PS. Sandis Ozolinsh.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
You don´t read too well do you? In my previous post I stated that during the past 15 years many non-russians have played for russia and that´s why I asked about the 1981 soviet team. That makes it relevant.

Ahh, OK, then we close the USSR discussion at 6 that we have counted together (4+Zhitnik+Ozolinsh, who played in WJC only though).

On to the last 15 years than. Zubrus is clearly "hockey" non-russian by birth, development, residence. What makes Mikhnov and Zherdev non-russian?

What makes Zherdev non-russian? He is Russian ethnically. An Elektrostal product. Never played for Ukraine. The birth place is dwarfed by this, IMHO. Same for Mikhnov. One can make a much bigger case for Naby who is an Ustinka product.

So that makes Zhitnik+Zubrus+Nabokov+Ozolinsh+Petrenko=4 "non-russian" products for Russia since 91. Three out of these are single tourney shows. Where's "plenty", even given that there may be more that I am forgetting?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kasparaitis, Zubrus, Zherdev, Zhitnik and Mikhnov came to mind in about 2 seconds

Zubrus only played for Russia for the 2004 World Cup. He is ineligible for anything else because he played for Lithuania in juniors

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
Canada -> both the 1972 Summit Series and the 2006 World Juniors (no one thought that Canada had a chance)

Sweden -> Olympics and IIHF Men's World Hockey Championships in 2006

VladNYC*

Here is the roster of the CIS team:

Sergei Bautin
Igor Boldin,
Nikolai Borschevskiy,
Vyacheslav Buzayev,
Vyacheslav Bykov,
Evgeni Davidov,
Alexei Zhitnik,
Darius Kasparaitis,
Nikolai Khabibulin,
Yuri Khymilev,
Andrei Komutov,
ndrei Kovalenko,
Alexei Kovalev,
Igor Kravchuk,
Vladimir Malakhov,
Dmitri Mironov,
Sergei Petrenko,
Vitali Prokorov,
Mikhail Shtalenkov,
Andrei Trefilov,
Dmitri Yuschkevich,
Alexei Zhamnov,
Sergei Zubov,
Alexei Gusarov

You are welcome to pick out the non russians.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
i feel that the 1972 Summit Series was for NHL players what the 2006 WJC is for junior hockey players... just sayin'
No. I loved the 2006 WJC team. It was a team in the truest sense of the word. Great goaltending, great coaching, great team play. They deserved that gold medal.

But it was not to junior players what 72 was to NHL players. There are other WJC tournaments that are much more significant: that first tournament in 1974; Canada adopting the Program of Excellence in 1981 that really changed the whole scope of the tournament, as Canada started to send its best junior players instead of just the Memorial Cup champions with a few ringers; the corresponding gold medal win in 1982; and the 1986-87 tournament - the infamous Punch-up at Piestany when Canada and the USSR engaged in a bench clearing brawl. Many fans don't like to talk about that incident, but it's a very important one for Canadian hockey, because that's what really put the WJC on the Canadian hockey map. Now, the WJC is the international tournament in Canada.

My favourite Canada junior win was in 1991. The John Slaney goal with six minutes to play in Saskatoon in the last epic Canada vs. USSR battle. But I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up your arse and tell you that 1991 was to junior hockey what 1972 was to NHL players. It'd be a croc of crap.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I picked the 96' World Cup win for a couple of reasons. First, the 80' didn't play Canada's best players. Even after the Miracle on Ice the US still wasn't that good. In the 91' Canada Cup is where the US finally show that they can be apart of the elite in terms of hockey. The 96' World Cup proved that the US is a hockey power where the Miracle on Ice didn't. That is why I picked the 96' World Cup. Having said this, I am not an American, and many Americans pick the 80' Olympics.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Really? My impression was that everybody thought they had a chance, and that the U.S. was named favorites by the media to take the pressure off the team. Who the hell didn't think they had a chance?
Many people didn't think that Canada had a chance. I believe THN picked Canada to finish fourth. Russia and the US were the favorites. I personally thought Canada had a great chance to win.

There are many great WJC for Canada. The first victory in 82' was one of them. Canada beat the Soviets 6-0 and the players sang the national anthem because they didn't have it. The 88' WJC after the Piestany brawl was impressive because it was played in Moscow. GBC already mentioned the 91' and that is one of my favorites as well. The five straight from 93-97 was impressive. You could pick anyone of those and make a great arguement for it. I think 05' was more important than 06' because Canada hadn't won a gold since 97'. This was the greatest WJC team ever and they completely dominated all of the teams they played.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Zubrus only played for Russia for the 2004 World Cup. He is ineligible for anything else because he played for Lithuania in juniors

Zubrus never played for Lithuania at the Junior level, in fact, the 2004 World Cup in Russian colours was the first time Zubrus represented any country internationally. He later went on to represent Lithuania at Div. 1 World Championships.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I picked the 96' World Cup win for a couple of reasons. First, the 80' didn't play Canada's best players. Even after the Miracle on Ice the US still wasn't that good. In the 91' Canada Cup is where the US finally show that they can be apart of the elite in terms of hockey. The 96' World Cup proved that the US is a hockey power where the Miracle on Ice didn't. That is why I picked the 96' World Cup. Having said this, I am not an American, and many Americans pick the 80' Olympics.
I don't care if Canada didn't have a team at the tournament, and the rest of the world except Russia sent a bunch of beer league castoffs. The Miracle on Ice win is the pre-eminent moment in U.S. hockey history, and No. 2 in hockey history following 1972. A team of virtual unknowns beat one of the best international teams ever assembled.

As for the 2005-06 Canadian WJC team, they weren't favoured, but you knew they'd play a strong team game and have great goaltending, so you could never count them out.

The team that won the 1993 WJC (the first of five in a row) was a team that nobody gave any chance. They had several undrafted players (including Manny Legace, who was passed over twice). They were coming off an embarassing 6th place finish the year before. Sweden has assembled a powerhouse team and was an overwhelming favourite, especially on home ice. But Legace turned in an epic performance, guys like Brent Tully played the best hockey of their life, Canada upset Sweden and won gold.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

You're 100% correct, you picked the 96 WC because you're not an American. The game meant something to A NATION! not just the hockey fans.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I picked the 96' World Cup win for a couple of reasons. First, the 80' didn't play Canada's best players.
Who cares Russia and Czechoslovakia sent their best players and we didn't send our best players
Even after the Miracle on Ice the US still wasn't that good.
No the Miracle was what made the US great at hockey
In the 91' Canada Cup is where the US finally show that they can be apart of the elite in terms of hockey.
The Miracle on ice was the US's 2nd gold medal, hell i'd put Squaw Valley and the Silver in 72 above 96
The 96' World Cup proved that the US is a hockey power where the Miracle on Ice didn't. That is why I picked the 96' World Cup. Having said this, I am not an American,
I'll borrow this common rant from our Northern bretheren.

Being Canadian you just can't know how much hockey is a part of this country's identity.

and many Americans pick the 80' Olympics.
Try vast majority. Poll Americans on this subject I'd be surprised if 99.99% didn't say Lake Placid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad