Most game-winning goals in a row?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry, this is a bit obscure, but...

I happened to be looking back at the L.A. Kings' (disappointing) 1989-90 season tonight, and I noticed a curious stat re: Luc Robitaille, as follows:

-- On November 18th, 1989, the Kings beat Washington 5-3, with Robitaille scoring 2 goals and 2 assists, including the game-winner in the third period.

-- Next game: November 22nd, 1989, the Kings beat Chicago 6-3, with Robitaille scoring 1 goal and 2 assists, including the game-winner in the third period.

-- Next game: November 25th, 1989, the Kings beat Vancouver 7-4, with Robitaille scoring a hat-trick, including the game-winner at the end of the second period.

Consequently, Robitaille scored three game-winning goals in three consecutive games. I'm just wondering: How rare is this? Had anybody ever scored more than three such goals "in a row"?

I would guess the statistical odds of anybody beating Robitaille's three-straight are very low, especially in the post-expansion, 4-line type of NHL with more players-per-team on the ice. But I wouldn't rule it out, either.

Anyone?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Check for Guy Lafleur maybe, he scored a lot of GWG and his team won a lot.Can't help you much, wouldn't even know how to systematically check.

If I had to start somewhere, outside of Lafleur, I'd check Gretzky and Lemieux first, then check the monster goal-scoring seasons, like Ovechkin's 65 and Hull's three years peak.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I have taken a very close look at this question, Panther.

As not-so-rare as they sound, the feat of scoring a third winning goal is extremely rare.

NHL leaders in this category, career wise, project to do such a feat about once every 1000 games, That's about on game every 12.5 NHL seasons.

Of course, there must be no correlation between when this feat occurs, and the quality of the goal involved. In fact, the laws of chance predict, and predict with very great confidence, that a third straight game winning goal will occur in a very normal unremarkable game.

being said, it just so happens that the greatest goal in Canadian ice hockey history was such a goal. It was scored by Paul Henderson whose NHL totals suggest that he can be expected to perform such a feat one game every 69 seasons. When we take his WHA totals, our 1972 Summit Series hero can be expected to score a third straight game winner about once every 180 80-game seasons.

Multiply the infrequency by about 32, in order to see how often a player like Henderson can be expected to do such a thing in best on best competitions, which Canada has played abut 2-3 games on average since introduction of best on best hockey. Henerson's frequency was quite normal among forwards on that team btw. In this adjusted scenario, Henderson and most other TC72 forwards can be expected to do what he did in Moscow about one game every 2200 years.

With those thoughts in mind, it's very cool to recall that Canadian audience in Moscow as TC72 skates of the ice while listening to Oh Canada. The stage has been set for the very feat you bring up, Panther, when such an extraordinarily rare feat was exactly what Team Canada and Canada required.

Since you brought this up, I'll add that I go into Henderson's goal this way and more at this page.

It's draft form level, and part of a related wider project that I will soon be getting back to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Stathead

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I hadn't realized that you asked this question so long ago.

The key text :

Elias Pettersson has scored all four game winners on this stretch. And now he’s one game-winner away from equalizing a record that’s stood for more than a century: Newsy Lalonde’s outstanding run in Feb. 1921, when he scored the game winner five games in a row.

Not quite the same thing though, because of the new 3 on 3 overtime

Last edited:
Reactions: The Panther

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I have taken a very close look at this question, Panther.

As not-so-rare as they sound, the feat of scoring a third winning goal is extremely rare.

NHL leaders in this category, career wise, project to do such a feat about once every 1000 games, That's about on game every 12.5 NHL seasons.

Of course, there must be no correlation between when this feat occurs, and the quality of the goal involved. In fact, the laws of chance predict, and predict with very great confidence, that a third straight game winning goal will occur in a very normal unremarkable game.

being said, it just so happens that the greatest goal in Canadian ice hockey history was such a goal. It was scored by Paul Henderson whose NHL totals suggest that he can be expected to perform such a feat one game every 69 seasons. When we take his WHA totals, our 1972 Summit Series hero can be expected to score a third straight game winner about once every 180 80-game seasons.

Multiply the infrequency by about 32, in order to see how often a player like Henderson can be expected to do such a thing in best on best competitions, which Canada has played abut 2-3 games on average since introduction of best on best hockey. Henerson's frequency was quite normal among forwards on that team btw. In this adjusted scenario, Henderson and most other TC72 forwards can be expected to do what he did in Moscow about one game every 2200 years.

With those thoughts in mind, it's very cool to recall that Canadian audience in Moscow as TC72 skates of the ice while listening to Oh Canada. The stage has been set for the very feat you bring up, Panther, when such an extraordinarily rare feat was exactly what Team Canada and Canada required.

Since you brought this up, I'll add that I go into Henderson's goal this way and more at this page.

It's draft form level, and part of a related wider project that I will soon be getting back to.
Thanks Stathead. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad