Most embarrassing NHL moments

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Post 1967 expansion, only NHL related
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_farber/07/14/moments/index.html

the list
1) Steve Smith's own goal
2) John Spano's 1998 "purchase" of the Islanders
3) McSorley/Burtuzzi Incidents
4) Bobby Clarke calling Roger Neilson "goofy" after cancer treatments
5) 2004-2005 season cancelation
6) Patrick Roy's Goof in the 2002 playoffs
7) Boston Garden blackout game 4 of the 1988 stanly cup
8) Ottawa's 1992 draft mistake
9) Jim Schoenfeld-Don Koharski "doughnut" meltdown
10) Bruins too many men 1979 playoff game

any others that should be mentioned?
1992 san jose sharks
1994 lockout
Eric Lindros refusing to play for Quebec
Alexander Daigle
Harold Ballard's tenure
Wang making goalie GM
Brett Hull "in the crease" goal cup winner

Last edited:

Whatever Man*

Kerry Fraser's "No Call" on the Gretzky Highstick '93 Semi finals.

*To his credit, he did say, on OTR, that is the one call he would like to have back.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Paul coffey's hat trick in the 96 WCF

Embarassing not in the comical sense the pedophile scandals involving the Leafs.

gamblor

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
That pre-game brawl between Flyers and Habs...that started when Montreal wanted to shoot the puck into the Flyers net after the warm-up.

A fan in Quebec City gets on the ice and then gets pounded by the Nords tough guy (who was that again?)

A fan falls into the penalty box with Tie Domi.

Marc Bergevin throws the puck into his own net.

Streaker enters Flames game, slips on the ice and then knocks himself out.

Alan Eagleson defrauds the players he's supposed to be representing, goes to jail.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Reading about doughnutgate and Zeigler being nowhere to be found reminded me of him being in the caribean during the 92 strike. He was just an embarassment as a Preesident.

Gil Stien is up there too.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
screw SI:madfire:

there was no reason for that article other than to degrade hockey
...baseball is going through huge problems because their players are on every drug imaginable
...basketball has entire teams attacking fans(pacers/pistons)
...football has drug problems, and a rookie running back in reggie bush that was about to sit out(a slap to the face of new orleans) because he wasnt getting 'number one' money (he was #2)

everyone has their problems no need to single one out over the other just because its 'funnier' to pick on hockey

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
screw SI:madfire:

there was no reason for that article other than to degrade hockey
...baseball is going through huge problems because their players are on every drug imaginable
...basketball has entire teams attacking fans(pacers/pistons)
...football has drug problems, and a rookie running back in reggie bush that was about to sit out(a slap to the face of new orleans) because he wasnt getting 'number one' money (he was #2)

everyone has their problems no need to single one out over the other just because its 'funnier' to pick on hockey

its actually part of SI.com having every sport's main writer list a top 10. infact hockey gets its own link and not put into the "other sports". Looking at the NFL and MLB their sports have worse black eyes IMO

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
what about the woman who tried to sing O'Canada before the Canadian WC exhibition game and forgot the words....then she composes herself, comes back onto the ice, and falls hitting her head on the ice. I can't imagine anything being more embarrasing.

And in the funniest moment department....the Flames fan who tried to streak across the ice naked but when he jumped on the ice, he slipped, hit his head on the ice and knocked himself out cold. There he is, lying on the ice naked in front on 18,000 fans. Priceless.

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site
I'm surprised noone mentioned the whole Mike Danton/David Frost murder-for-hire "affair". Surely that should have made the top 10?

There were so many things that Harold Ballard said that were truly embarrassing. I remember one front page article in the Hockey News some time in the mid 1980's about Ballard. It's content illustrated how much of a racist and ignorant hockey person he truly was. How any Maple Leafs fan could hold him in anything but contempt is beyond me.

Any time an arena singer slaughter's a U.S. or Canadian anthem is embarrassing. These people are asked to perform an admirable task for a period of 5-6 minutes total, and they ought to be well prepared before they step on the ice.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think the most disappointing part about that case is that Danton didn't succeed. If he would have succeeded, he should have been awarded the Order of Canada.

The Ted Green/Wayne Maki incident is likely the most embarassing on-ice incident since expansion. It's just there's a difference in terms of publicity. Green/Maki swung their sticks like baseball bats at each other's helmetless heads. Worst incident outside of Shore/Bailey in the 1930s.

I'm surprised Turgeon/Hunter isn't on the list either, even though the incident is blown way out of proportion. Ballard's tenure with the Leafs should definitely be there. Gil Stein was far, far worse than Bettman.

ArchieisGod, there are few hockey fans on the planet who love the game, and know more about the game, than Michael Farber.

RedLightDistrict

Jan 21, 2005
Unless i dreamt (sp?) it, i could have sworn that a goal by John LeClair stood, despite the fact it went in through a hole in the side of the net.

The next year, a disappointing season with tired and discouraged players, culminated with a first-round playoff series loss to the Flyers. Like the previous season, there would be another officiating controversy as in Game 2 Flyers forward John LeClair scored a controversial goal to tie the game at 1 through a hole in the mesh at the side of the net which was inexplicitly allowed to stand. Philadelphia would win the game 2-1 and go on to win the series four games to one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Sabres#.22No_Goal.22
Edit: A-ha! I was right!

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Unless i dreamt (sp?) it, i could have sworn that a goal by John LeClair stood, despite the fact it went in through a hole in the side of the net.

There was a goal like that although I don't know who shot it. I tell people this an no one believes it. The puck went in and went threw the net. But it didn't leave a hole - it just went through it perfectly. The defending team went nuts because there was no hole. But the ref insisted it went in.

Low and behold, the replay showed it went threw the net - right threw a hole and out without mark. (This was before video replay) Weirdess play ever. Can't believe they don't show this more on the all time blooper things.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
So what happened?
I've never heard of number 2 and 8. Enlighten me :)

With Spano buying the Islanders, I believe it was a case of him being a crook who didn`t have the money, which made the NHL look stupid for falling for it.

The Ottawa draft mistake was during their first expansion draft when GM Mel Bridgman twice drafted players that weren`t eligible, then looked even dumber by saying "Ottawa apologizes" both times.

SaveByHexy

Aug 3, 2003
Visit site
ArchieisGod, there are few hockey fans on the planet who love the game, and know more about the game, than Michael Farber.

I think Archie's disdain comes from the fact that with the miniscule coverage ESPN gives the NHL as it is, it's unfortunate that someone who loves hockey so much is using his talents to give people who already could care less about the NHL more ways to not take it seriously.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
There was a goal like that although I don't know who shot it. I tell people this an no one believes it. The puck went in and went threw the net. But it didn't leave a hole - it just went through it perfectly. The defending team went nuts because there was no hole. But the ref insisted it went in.

Low and behold, the replay showed it went threw the net - right threw a hole and out without mark. (This was before video replay) Weirdess play ever. Can't believe they don't show this more on the all time blooper things.
I think Selanne scored a goal like that in the 1998 all star game. Didn't see it myself, but my friend did.

72projectmgr

May 3, 2006
My person favorite in the disapointment category was the launching of the California Seals Hockey Club. It was a very good build up and marketing program by the same owner of the Oakland "A's at the time. The first home opener was packed and the home team finally came out to 14,000 cheering fans which sooned turned to laughter because they had "Fluffers" on their skates, basically their skates were covered with faux fur to look like seal skin skates-totally disapointed.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
I think Archie's disdain comes from the fact that with the miniscule coverage ESPN gives the NHL as it is, it's unfortunate that someone who loves hockey so much is using his talents to give people who already could care less about the NHL more ways to not take it seriously.

thats it exactly, no need to kick the sport while its down...

im not questioning his knowledge of the game just his bad timing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->