Most bittersweet Olympics for Canada ever?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
So how will my fellow Canadians look back at the 2018 games?

Will it be the games where we could only muster 1 gold medal in 3 curling and 2 hockey events? The games where both our hockey teams gold streaks ended? (And let's face it when it come to womens hockey where only 2 nation really compete, if your not first, you're last...)

Or will it be the games where we will (possibly) finish with the second most overall medals?

I'm personally a little too frustrated with our curling and hockey results to embrace our record breaking medal count at the moment.....

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So how will my fellow Canadians look back at the 2018 games?

Will it be the games where we could only muster 1 gold medal in 3 curling and 2 hockey events? The games where both our hockey teams gold streaks ended?

Or will it be the games where we will (possibly) finish with the second most overall medals?

I'm personally a little too frustrated with our curling and hockey results to embrace our record breaking medal count at the moment.....

I'll probably forget about the curling results next week.

The silver in women's hockey hurts.

Kind of apathetic about the men's team. I feel if they win the bronze with this group it'll still be a good accomplishment. And Russia likely wins a gold in hockey finally, albeit with an asterisk (for more than one reason).

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I'll probably forget about the curling results next week.

The silver in women's hockey hurts.

Kind of apathetic about the men's team. I feel if they win the bronze with this group it'll still be a good accomplishment. And Russia likely wins a gold in hockey finally, albeit with an asterisk (for more than one reason).

Agreed about the men's and bronze. But I'm preparing for the worst with that. They are playing the Czechs, who are playing extremely hot.

Admittedly, the women's loss doesn't really bother me so much since like I said, it's really only between 2 nations anyway. I'm actually more annoyed by our loss because of how it affects the overall medals standings. I wouldn't even have noticed if it was the world championships.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't think it's bittersweet. I was talking to Cloned before, and I was saying as the hockey fan in me, Canada losing is a good thing, because it forces Canada to stop going "we win the Olympics." to making the better decisions to send to Olympics/Worlds. Canada is slow and Old. as the Canadian fan in me, i'm like WTF this is what we do? like it's so automatic lmao

Golds in Hockey, Golds in Curling. everything else falls in behind that.

but more important as an Olympic fan (to give my friend credit inflation included), I'm glad that Canada did so well. We're so much more than Hockey and Curling and the fact that this is our best games with only 2 medals combined (again-Olympic Sports fan me) is happy. I feel once we discover how to be consistent in alpine events - we could/would be heavy hitters.

As a Canadian I am like "dude, do we need another summit?" :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wasn't it our record number of medals?

I'll look back on it as very successful.

We seemed competitive in virtually every sport.

If you want to read the most clueless editorial of all-time, here it is:

Opinion | Canada should be winning even more Olympic gold

But medal performance ultimately turns on how many athletes a country fields. How successful were the athletes Canada brought to the Winter Games in winning medals? OK, but not great. Canada ranks eighth on this metric, taking home just about one medal per 10 Olympians. This is again far behind top performing nations like the Netherlands with five medals per 10 Olympians and Norway with three and even Spain with 1.5 medals per 10 Olympians. But it’s still considerably better than the U.S. in 16th place.

Er, Netherlands and Norway? What do they have in common? How many medals are given out in their national sport?

And Spain, with their outliers on a small team?

I can't believe this guy is an actual professor.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The fact that we are setting medal count records without curling medals and possible only 1 hockey medal makes it only more impressive to me. We usually expect 4 golds right there.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Er, Netherlands and Norway? What do they have in common? How many medals are given out in their national sport?

Not to mention it's easier for smaller nations to have a higher athlete to medal ratio, since they are not going to have multiple athletes in an event competing against each other for very few medals like Canada and the US do in just about every sport.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

So, he just counted the number of athletes, and then the number of medals? Clever. Well, the Netherlands didn't qualify for the hockey tournaments, neither in mens or womens. I think that might have influenced it. Norway only qualified for the mens tournament. Failed to qualify in the womens tournament. That helped to, compared to Canada, with this weird math -even when that Canadian womens team got a medal! Actually, same in classical curling, where you have five athlethes per team. Impossible to win one medal for every second athlete if you even win a medal there.

Clever boy. This is how you don't use statistics.

And I'm a Norwegian, so I shouldn't be freaked out by anyone dissing your Olympics.

Good show, btw. Very good.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I said this before. had you told me we would have won 30 and only 3 medals in Hockey + Curling combined and only one of them was gold, and it was in mixed curling, I legitimately would have called you a lying liar who lied. We're canada. we win Curling/Hockey golds. it's the Double Double (now with a hazlenut shot) of Winter Games. it's what we do :laugh:

I've kept reading that not having the NHL players there people haven't been watching, and that drives me bananas, because the Olympics are so not about the NHL players being there. (it's not just about hockey). I mean each their own and all of that, but I truly hope the NHL doesn't go to China. I really enjoyed being able to watch my club teams and watch the Olympics. You wouldn't have had the Germany story had the NHL players been there and quite frankly, I liked the Germany story.

People want to say "Well it's not best on best" and I feel best on best so so relative. if the Olympics decides at the next meeting - that okay, Olympic Hockey will only be played by the world juniors (like literally saying the world junior championship in the 4th year is now the Olympic medal game - is that not the best? (just with an age gap). I'm not playing the whole "amature vs. pros" card because i think that's so muddy now, but i do think and I have always thought even with the 20 years of them being here, that the Olympics don't need NHLers there and it proved it this time. and I think people will adapt. and move on

Reactions: mjlee and LiveeviL

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoyed it overall, most disappointing loss was women's hockey but I can't be that disappointed when they were outplayed in the gold medal game. More was expected from the curlers but they both went out and lost cleanly so there isn't much to be done about that. The men's slopestyle result is one that bugs me. I was most glad for Kingsbury as very few athletes had as much pressure on them. Overall it was a success in my eyes.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
We didn't expect much from men's hockey since the best players weren't there. The women, losing in a shootout is a crapshoot so no, that's not bittersweet, that's just a crappy thing. The biggest disappointment for me was the men's and women's curlers who just never got off the ground but that's because other countries have improved so much. These games were fantastic for Canada. What I'd like to see is for them to start doing better in cross country skiing and ski jumping.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a little sour now after realizing curling would have put us over 30. Ugh...

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm becoming less of a hockey fan with each passing day so I couldn't care less about those results.

The curling for Canada sucked but at least the US took home its first ever Gold.

I dunno. Canada could've won one medal with it being a Gold for Virtue + Moir and I would have been happy.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Not about Sweden but the topic is relevant for Sweden too. The best Winter Olympics ever (slightly more medals in Turin, but way more Gold now). But no medal in hockey and no medal at all for the men in Cross-country leaves a bitter taste among the sweetness.

Reactions: mjlee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad