Not open for further replies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
bling said:
According to the CHL official website:
http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/news/?id=6340
"The Central Hockey League begins its 13th season of play this Friday, and once again led all North American professional “AA†leagues in average attendance during the 2003-2004 regular season, welcoming 4,501 fans per contest this past year."

Does not exactly sound like a league with such low attendance to me.

I also wonder how the Brahmas are paying those guys $750.00 a week, I heard the pay for CHLers was $450.00 a week? :dunno:
i heard the 750 figure on the radio today - as the callers were ripping the players -

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
The hypocrisy present in the NHLPA and its members is a joke.

"No, we'll never join a league with a salary cap, even though we just did."

Thats pathetic really. :shakehead

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They're definitely not scabs. I doubt if anyone would call an engineer at GM who was locked out and took a job at Joe's Garage rebuilding engines a scab. As professionals, these guys have an obligation to keep their skills from eroding so they can step right back in when the labor issue is resolved. The CHL is definitely more competitve than the OSHL's glorified exhibition games, and I don't see much criticism of guys going to play in the OSHL. I'm sure it took a great deal of pride swallowing for these guys to play in the CHL. As a fan, I'd rather see that, than the elitist attitude exhibited by some players. It's a lot easier to identify with a guy that'll go to the CHL than someone like Marcus Naslund or Daniel Alfredsson who won't play in Sweden because the taxes or insurance is too expensive. If any of you were locked out, or lost your jobs, you'd be looking for any employment you could get.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the invaluable mentoring role players such as Morrow and Lukowich can provide to their teammates. True, they may have displaced a player or two with their presense, but those players probably didn't have much of a pro hockey future to begin with. I think it's a win-win situation.
All of that may be true but it's BESIDE the point.

"We are against a salary cap but it's okay to go work in a salary cap league in the meantime."

That is an issue, whether it matters to oneself or not.

It's all about money anyways for the PA despite their attempts to act righteous. The PA is not standing on principle other than the principle of income maximization.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
VanIslander said:
All of that may be true but it's BESIDE the point.

"We are against a salary cap but it's okay to go work in a salary cap league in the meantime."

That is an issue, whether it matters to oneself or not.

It's all about money anyways for the PA despite their attempts to act righteous. The PA is not standing on principle other than the principle of income maximization.

Oh jeez.... they're hockey players, not Jesuit priests. You people are grasping at straws. Who knows, maybe they were sent there to inflitrate and organize the poor, downtrodden and exploited CHL brethren. Would that help you see them as being more evil?

They could care less if the CHL has a salary cap, nor should they.

Last edited:

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Bicycle Repairman said:
Oh jeez.... they're hockey players, not Jesuit priests. You people are grasping at straws. Who knows, maybe they were sent there to inflitrate and organize the poor, downtrodden and exploited CHL breathren. Would that help you see them as being more evil?

They could care less if the CHL has a salary cap, nor should they.

Do you know the definition of hypocrisy? Or are you familiar with the definition, yet you still choose to blindly wave the NHLPA flag? :dunno:

You always call the owners on their mistakes, but whenever anyone calls the NHLPA on their flaws, you dismiss them as irrelevant, or dodge them altogether.

Way to go. :handclap:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
puck you said:
Do you know the definition of hypocrisy? Or are you familiar with the definition, yet you still choose to blindly wave the NHLPA flag? :dunno:

You always call the owners on their mistakes, but whenever anyone calls the NHLPA on their flaws, you dismiss them as irrelevant, or dodge them altogether.

Way to go. :handclap:

How are Morrow and Lukowich being hypocritical? They knew beforehand and accepted the terms and conditions of employment in regard to the CHL. They accepted it and are even paying for their own insurance.

Their "fight" is with the NHL. They have a say in the terms and conditions that have yet to be set. Makes all the difference in the world. There is no hypocrisy.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
As professionals, these guys have an obligation to keep their skills from eroding so they can step right back in when the labor issue is resolved. The CHL is definitely more competitve than the OSHL's glorified exhibition games, and I don't see much criticism of guys going to play in the OSHL. .

The difference being the OSHL is made up of NHL locked out players. No one loses out on a job. Morrow and Luchowick took jobs from two poor joes barely making ends meet. It just makes me sick.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Bicycle Repairman said:
How are Morrow and Lukowich being hypocritical? They knew beforehand and accepted the terms and conditions of employment in regard to the CHL. They accepted it and are even paying for their own insurance.

Their "fight" is with the NHL. They have a say in the terms and conditions that have yet to be set. Makes all the difference in the world. There is no hypocrisy.

Maybe because they are part of a "union" of players that has demonstrated that they will not play under a salary cap system, but then Lukowich and Morrow sign and PLAY in a league for a lot less money, and a league that has a salary cap.

Thats being hypocritical, whether you're a blind supporter of the NHLPA or not. :shakehead

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Peter said:
The difference being the OSHL is made up of NHL locked out players. No one loses out on a job. Morrow and Luchowick took jobs from two poor joes barely making ends meet. It just makes me sick.

There's no difference. It works the same way in the NHL; a better player makes the team, and a lesser player loses his job. There's no guaranteed jobs in professional sports. One could just as easily argue that poor parking lot attendants and vendors will now be able to buy shoes for their kids, or pay their college tuition, due to the increased interest and attendance. The taxes generated from increased revenues will help pay for schools, libraries and streetsweeping machines. Perhaps some little girl living in a shack in East Texas will now be able to realize her dream of going to college, and one day she will discover a cure for cancer; all because of Lukowich and Morrow.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Buffaloed said:
Perhaps some little girl living in a shack in East Texas will now be able to realize her dream of going to college, and one day she will discover a cure for cancer; all because of Lukowich and Morrow.

LOL...i live in DFW and still have no desire to go see these guys in the CHL.
Howabout some kids probably lost his/her opportunity for an education because of these greedy bastards from the NHL lockout. :banghead:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dallas Flames Fan said:
LOL...i live in DFW and still have no desire to go see these guys in the CHL.
Howabout some kids probably lost his/her opportunity for an education because of these greedy bastards from the NHL lockout. :banghead:

The Sabres just announced their plan to lay off 25 workers if the lockout doesn't end by Nov.30th yesterday.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041019/1060981.asp

Ushers, ticket takers, security, parking attendants, other support people are already missing a regular paycheck. A lot of these are students and people working there as 2nd jobs just to make ends meet. I don't think the players have the slightest idea of the impact this is having on local economies.

From hockey fans to bar owners to sellers of Sabres paraphernalia, the lack of a hockey season is a source of great frustration.

Dennis Brinkworth III, who owns Brink's on West Chippewa Street and manages Colter Bay Grill on Delaware Avenue, said hockey's lockout is bad news for his business.

"We absolutely benefit on Sabres home game dates, but we also draw customers by airing non-Buffalo games on TV," Brinkworth said. "Hockey is good for the bar business."

And the whole local economy. Sabres players earned $34 million last year, fueling local purchases of upscale homes, Hummers and other trappings.

The Sabres also pump up the economy with dollars spent on the business of hockey: staff salaries, advertising, broadcast expenses, HSBC operational costs, plus hotel and meal revenues from visiting teams.

On the fan side, the Sabres front office calculates a season's worth of home games - some 600,000 fan visits - tosses another $35 million to $40 million into the swirl of hockey-related dollars: money spent on tickets, parking, restaurant meals and concessions.

And then there's the ripple effect. When there's no action on the ice, waitresses and bartenders miss out on tips and possibly entire shifts, corporations don't spend money to entertain clients, and lagging interest in hockey depresses retail sales.

Jim Laux, patriarch of the six-store, family-owned Laux Sporting Goods chain, estimates as much as 15 percent of his business is in licensed hockey products.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041015/1002190.asp

About the only folks that benefit from this are those associated with the minor leagues. We can't begrudge them that.

I suspect everyone would return to the bargaining table very quickly if the mayors of NHL cities started working on instituting a stiff entertainment tax on player salaries to recoup their losses. All entertainers would be impacted and part of the cost would naturally passed along to their employers. I have no doubt there would be a lot of arm twisting by NBA, NFL, and MLB owners of their NHL counterparts to get a deal done. It's frustrating watching politicians twiddle their thumbs and say we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out when they have the power to exert tremendous pressure to get this resolved.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
There's no difference. It works the same way in the NHL; a better player makes the team, and a lesser player loses his job. There's no guaranteed jobs in professional sports. One could just as easily argue that poor parking lot attendants and vendors will now be able to buy shoes for their kids, or pay their college tuition, due to the increased interest and attendance. The taxes generated from increased revenues will help pay for schools, libraries and streetsweeping machines. Perhaps some little girl living in a shack in East Texas will now be able to realize her dream of going to college, and one day she will discover a cure for cancer; all because of Lukowich and Morrow.

If its this type of 'rational' thinking that gets you a gig as board administrator here sign me up!! Your arugment is so full of holes I won't even try to begin disecting it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Peter said:
If its this type of 'rational' thinking that gets you a gig as board administrator here sign me up!! Your arugment is so full of holes I won't even try to begin disecting it.

If you can't be bothered to put out a well thought out response, there's no point in posting any. I really didn't think it was that difficult to understand that bringing 2 NHLers to the CHL will have a far greater positive economic impact than the the loss of 2 jobs by fringe minor leaguers.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
If you can't be bothered to put out a well thought out response, there's no point in posting any. I really didn't think it was that difficult to understand that bringing 2 NHLers to the CHL will have a far greater positive economic impact than the the loss of 2 jobs by fringe minor leaguers.

You make the assine comment that because Morrow and Luchowick are playing in the CHL a poor parking lot attendant will be able to buy shoes for his kids. Are you serious!!! Do you understand anything??? Let's say there is an increase in attendance. Let's say more people begin parking and begin buying more programs and more popcorn. Who do you think gets that money?? The parking lot attendant??? Not in the real world - the owners will. Do you think the owners will all of sudden look at attendance, smile to themselves and pronounce wage increases for the parking lot attendants??? Of course not. This is a short-term cash grab by the CHL owners (can't blame them). Morrow and Luchowich's signings will not help any of the people you claim will be helped.

But two-players have lost their jobs. They have lost their income. And who took it away? Millionaire NHL hockey players who should be staying at home and working out or playing in the OHSL or skating with some College/University teams.

On top of this you made the pronouncement that "perhaps a cure for cancer" will be found by the fact the CHL signed Morrow and Luchowich. As a man who lost is wife to cancer I find your statement down right revolting!!! As if signing two greedy NHL players will have anything to do with the cure of cancer is pathetic!!!

If you can't see this then you are blind.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Peter said:
You make the assine comment that because Morrow and Luchowick are playing in the CHL a poor parking lot attendant will be able to buy shoes for his kids. Are you serious!!! Do you understand anything??? Let's say there is an increase in attendance. Let's say more people begin parking and begin buying more programs and more popcorn. Who do you think gets that money?? The parking lot attendant??? Not in the real world - the owners will. Do you think the owners will all of sudden look at attendance, smile to themselves and pronounce wage increases for the parking lot attendants??? Of course not. This is a short-term cash grab by the CHL owners (can't blame them). Morrow and Luchowich's signings will not help any of the people you claim will be helped.

But two-players have lost their jobs. They have lost their income. And who took it away? Millionaire NHL hockey players who should be staying at home and working out or playing in the OHSL or skating with some College/University teams.

On top of this you made the pronouncement that "perhaps a cure for cancer" will be found by the fact the CHL signed Morrow and Luchowich. As a man who lost is wife to cancer I find your statement down right revolting!!! As if signing two greedy NHL players will have anything to do with the cure of cancer is pathetic!!!

If you can't see this then you are blind.

I'm sorry you didn't get my sarcasm. Dallas Flames Fan seemed to get it. However the point that bringing in 2 NHLer is more beneficial to the local economy than the jobs of 2 fringe CHLers is valid and one can never predict its impact in the long-term. Evidently you've never given the parking lot attendant an extra buck or two for sitting outside freezing his butt off, or told the popcorn/beer vendor, some who work on commission, to keep the change. Park an extra 100 cars a game and it adds up. Increased attendance most definitely puts more money in their pockets, and if it's great enough requires hiring more personnel. As has been pointed out previously in this thread, other than a few CHL teams, the attendance isn't that great. It's conceivable that if a few more NHLers join the league during the lockout, some franchises can be saved from folding or moving. It's too bad a few players will lose their jobs, but one shouldn't ignore the larger picture.

Go Flames Go*

I feel good knowing I make more money in a week then Morrow and Brad "Not even Burger King Hired Me" Lukowich are making right now. Accept the cap loosers, you will be paid better then this.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
I'm sorry you didn't get my sarcasm. Dallas Flames Fan seemed to get it. However the point that bringing in 2 NHLer is more beneficial to the local economy than the jobs of 2 fringe CHLers is valid and one can never predict its impact in the long-term. Evidently you've never given the parking lot attendant an extra buck or two for sitting outside freezing his butt off, or told the popcorn/beer vendor, some who work on commission, to keep the change. Park an extra 100 cars a game and it adds up. Increased attendance most definitely puts more money in their pockets, and if it's great enough requires hiring more personnel. As has been pointed out previously in this thread, other than a few CHL teams, the attendance isn't that great. It's conceivable that if a few more NHLers join the league during the lockout, some franchises can be saved from folding or moving. It's too bad a few players will lose their jobs, but one shouldn't ignore the larger picture.

You are right. Wow, how did I miss this. By hiring two NHL players it will change the entire financial landscape for the CHL and it's cities and the lowly men and women who work there. I never realized these two spoiled brats had so much power. It is a good thing these two NHL millionaires decided to take two jobs away from guys who probably have a hard time meeting their mortgages...for the good of the CHL and the parking attendants of the world. Who would have thought that these two high paying NHL players should have even considered staying at home and letting others keep their jobs...who would have thunk it???

I am so glad you showed me the error of my thinking. :dunno:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Buffaloed said:

I could maybe relate to your point if it were NHL superstars playing there, but Morrow and Lukowich?? Will CHL fans even know who they are?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Digger12 said:
I could maybe relate to your point if it were NHL superstars playing there, but Morrow and Lukowich?? Will CHL fans even know who they are?

I would imagine they're well known as Dallas Stars players. The CHL is centered around that area. CHL fans are as dedicated as any hockey fans. The Texas-Oklahoma area is more of a hockey hotbed than people realize. Eventually Oklahoma City will land an NHL franchise and people will see what I mean.

Tornado OS

Jul 12, 2004
Grapevine, TX
The CHL knows these players especially in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, since they both played for Dallas.
I was at the game Sat. night and watched it. Brad looked good compared to the other players on the ice, it is a huge mismatch for sure. Morrow was at the game, but watching the game. Morrows deal isnt finalized yet, and will be missing the opening weekend.
One player per team isnt bad, I dont have a problem with them wanting to stay close to home and staying in shape.
Ticket sales have increased and media coverage has increased. For the Dallas Market thats a big deal.

Tornado OS

Jul 12, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Ment to add something about the NHL players and the CHL.

They passed a rule that the players from the NHL that want to play in the CHL:
only one player per CHL team.
They must be within the salary cap. Max salary is 750 per week. If the player wants the additional insurance the NHL player has to pay for it.

Lukowich signed for 300 per week and he is paying for his own insurance.
I believe Morrows contract will be 750 per week with him paying the insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->