Morrow and Lukowich to CHL - pathetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
According to www.tsn.ca both Morrow and Lukowich will be playing (are playing) for the Central Hockey League. The Central frikin' Hockey League...about 4 steps below the NHL...a league that has a salary cap...how insane is this??? What on earth are these two NHL regulars doing stealing jobs from some player who has no chance ever to see the NHL???? This is pathetic. Going to Europe is one thing but going to the CHL is another - give your heads a shake boys. They can't be too serious about being "morally" against salary caps...they just joined a league that has one. :dunno: :amazed:

Go Flames Go*

Bring on the replacements. These guys are nothing but scabs to, Lukowich and Morrow. Just another shot in the heart of the NHLPA. Its getting crazy now how the NHL holds the upper hand on these greedy loosers.

Zip em up in plastic cause its a wrap baby.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I was watching a segment on Hockey Central last night, and they were talking to Bill McCreary, the nhl ref. He said all the refs got together before the shutdown and said they wouldn’t go and work in the lower leagues, as they found it disrespectful to the industry to take the jobs of other refs.

So heres a group that’s not even involved in the disagreement, but they still have enough honor to respect their peers in the industry. Makes you wonder about the scabs playing elsewhere. Makes you wonder about the people that actually defending the scabs playing elsewhere. The refs are about as impartial as you can get, while still being close to it all, and they are calling out the scabs taking hockey players jobs.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cawz said:
I was watching a segment on Hockey Central last night, and they were talking to Bill McCreary, the nhl ref. He said all the refs got together before the shutdown and said they wouldn’t go and work in the lower leagues, as they found it disrespectful to the industry to take the jobs of other refs.

So heres a group that’s not even involved in the disagreement, but they still have enough honor to respect their peers in the industry. Makes you wonder about the scabs playing elsewhere. Makes you wonder about the people that actually defending the scabs playing elsewhere. The refs are about as impartial as you can get, while still being close to it all, and they are calling out the scabs taking hockey players jobs.

Bravo to the refs..... :bow: :bow:

I saw a documentary the other day. I can't remember names, but one ref/linesman was driving a truck another working in home renovation & the list wnet on. If these hockey players feel so committed about strengthening the game for those who play after them as they keep saying, they should be doing the same thing as the officials.

The hockey players are just stupid anyway! Some other owner is taking advantage of their name and paying them a wage that might almost feed Mike Modano's dog for a month!!! Hopefully if the players do come to an agreement, the Lonny bohono's of the hockey world will get a few extra bucks for helping these European & lessor North American league owners pick up the pieces of a deserted team in mid-season.....

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Ironic in that Bohonos and Lukovich play for the same CHL team now.

Personally, I think it's a splendid thing that NHLers are playing in some of the smaller southern markets. Helps to raise the profile of the sport.

I bet fans in Oklahoma City and Fort Worth aren't complaining.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

Personally, I think it's a splendid thing that NHLers are playing in some of the smaller southern markets. Helps to raise the profile of the sport.

that's what an owner would say, "Raise the fan interest blah blah" you're on the player's side remember, it begins and ends with the welfare of the players, and it isn't protected in this case.

Last edited:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Lukowich has a house near there, his wife is from Texas, so this keeps their kid close to the grandparents and keeps him in shape. He knows one of the team's owners and got asked by the coach to play there, and he accepted. :dunno:

I'm glad Lukowich is attempting to keep himself in shape (for once), but I do agree that these guys are taking paychecks away from others who probably need them a whole lot more. These teams that are taking these guys on are just doing what they think is best, and these NHLers might be a selling point for tickets.

These players apparently don't care that they're messing with someone else's livelihood, so if scabs come in and take their jobs in the future, there had better not be any complaining from them!

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the invaluable mentoring role players such as Morrow and Lukowich can provide to their teammates. True, they may have displaced a player or two with their presense, but those players probably didn't have much of a pro hockey future to begin with. I think it's a win-win situation.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Sotnos said:
These players apparently don't care that they're messing with someone else's livelihood, so if scabs come in and take their jobs in the future, there had better not be any complaining from them!
Exactly. So I wonder how long till someone takes a run at one of the superstar scabs.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
Exactly. So I wonder how long till someone takes a run at one of the superstar scabs.

I'm afraid you understand little of labour terminology. Lukowich and Morrow aren't crossing picket lines, ergo they are not "scabs."

SedinFan*

Bicycle Repairman said:

Fort Worth Texas isn't exactly far from Dallas.

SedinFan*

Bicycle Repairman said:
True, but they also play road games.

There we go, now I can't respond other than saying it's the CHL and the attendance levels are low enough, having Morrow and Lukowich in the league will not increase attendance.

Bohonos isn't even worth mentioning.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the invaluable mentoring role players such as Morrow and Lukowich can provide to their teammates. True, they may have displaced a player or two with their presense, but those players probably didn't have much of a pro hockey future to begin with. I think it's a win-win situation.

...a win-win situation? How do you figure. If the goal is to improve the name of hockey in the south, there are better ways to do it then by having locked out NHL'ers come down. If the goal is to tutor younger guys, there are better ways to do it then by having locked out NHL'ers come down

For me that's the equivalent of saying that a nuke would wipe out all the mosquitos on the planet, so it's a "win-win situation"

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SedinFan said:
There we go, now I can't respond other than saying it's the CHL and the attendance levels are low enough, having Morrow and Lukowich in the league will not increase attendance.

You might want to do some research. Many Central League attendance figures put AHL teams' to shame. In fact, the Oklahoma City Blazers lead alll 93 North American minor league teams last season.

Last edited:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
I'm afraid
Dont be afraid. Its ok.
Bicycle Repairman said:
Lukowich and Morrow aren't crossing picket lines, ergo they are not "scabs."
Ya, I know. Thats why I called them superstar scabs. A scab is actually a disease of the skin or something that forms over a cut. But unions adopted the term a few hundred years ago, since it was a slang being used for hundreds of years prior to that to mean a rascal or a scoundral.

So basically, I'm stealing the stolen term and pointing it right back at the people disrespecting the industry. Does a scoundral not sound like someone who refuses to work under a cap, then goes somewhere else and works happily under a cap?

SedinFan*

Bicycle Repairman said:
You might want to do some research. Many Central League attendance figures put AHL teams' to shame. In fact, the Oklahoma City Blazers lead alll 93 North American minor league teams last season.

That's 1 team....

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
So basically, I'm stealing the stolen term and pointing it right back at the people disrespecting the industry. Does a scoundral not sound like someone who refuses to work under a cap, then goes somewhere else and works happily under a cap?

No, I would not call that person a scoundrel. I would call that unfortunate circumstance.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Bicycle Repairman said:

In 03/04, the AHL had 7 teams that averaged 7000 fans/game. The CHL had one (Oklahoma).

According to the AHL's official site, Manchester had the highest average attendance at 9,140. Oklahoma (according to this), had an average attendance of 8,763.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Sotnos said:
Lukowich has a house near there, his wife is from Texas, so this keeps their kid close to the grandparents and keeps him in shape. He knows one of the team's owners and got asked by the coach to play there, and he accepted. :dunno:

I'm glad Lukowich is attempting to keep himself in shape (for once), but I do agree that these guys are taking paychecks away from others who probably need them a whole lot more. These teams that are taking these guys on are just doing what they think is best, and these NHLers might be a selling point for tickets.

both players are buddies with the coach - they are making 750.00 a week -

bling

Jun 23, 2004
SedinFan said:

Bohonos isn't even worth mentioning.
According to the CHL official website:
http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/news/?id=6340
"The Central Hockey League begins its 13th season of play this Friday, and once again led all North American professional “AA†leagues in average attendance during the 2003-2004 regular season, welcoming 4,501 fans per contest this past year."

Does not exactly sound like a league with such low attendance to me.

I also wonder how the Brahmas are paying those guys $750.00 a week, I heard the pay for CHLers was $450.00 a week? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad