Morgan Rielly and the Power Play.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
His shot has always been a muffin and unless something drastically changes that's not going to change, he's 23 not 12

He might get his shot through but it doesn't seem to result in much, it's to weak to cause any real issues for anyone

I guess the positive is none of our forwards are going to get hurt if they get hit with the puck with Rielly at point on the PP

How many shots from the point go straight in anymore? A few of us have proven he gets his shot through, consistently better than any other Dman on our team, now people are complaining that once it's through it doesn't seem to do much? Really?

So the ~5-10 mph difference between Rielly's "muffins" and Gards or Zaitsev's "bombs" from the point will decide if our forwards can bang home the rebound or not?

Is that the theory now?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His shot has always been a muffin and unless something drastically changes that's not going to change, he's 23 not 12

He might get his shot through but it doesn't seem to result in much, it's to weak to cause any real issues for anyone

I guess the positive is none of our forwards are going to get hurt if they get hit with the puck with Rielly at point on the PP
Yup 23 is the end of life :sarcasm:
Of course his shot can get heavier. Thousands of more reps and it will get better. As it stands in just fine with a high rate of just getting the puck on net. That increases chances which leads to scoring.
Would you prefer that bomb that Weber showed that was missing the net or didn't have time to get off when we played the Habs?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
How many shots from the point go straight in anymore? A few of us have proven he gets his shot through, consistently better than any other Dman on our team, now people are complaining that once it's through it doesn't seem to do much? Really?

So the ~5-10 mph difference between Rielly's "muffins" and Gards or Zaitsev's "bombs" from the point will decide if our forwards can bang home the rebound or not?

Is that the theory now?

For whatever reason Rielly has become a whipping boy for many here and it's really annoying. He's a damn good defenseman

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The Leafs PP was just fine with Kaberle setting things up and hardly ever shooting. Don't see any reason why Rielly won't follow a similar path. His vision and passing makes up for his weaker shot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Is that the theory now?

What rebounds?

Nobody is having an issue handling that shot from the point

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yup 23 is the end of life :sarcasm:
Of course his shot can get heavier. Thousands of more reps and it will get better. As it stands in just fine with a high rate of just getting the puck on net. That increases chances which leads to scoring.
Would you prefer that bomb that Weber showed that was missing the net or didn't have time to get off when we played the Habs?

I'd prefer Zaitsev's, it's a good mix of decent power plus accuracy, Rielly is not a great shooter from the point and it's unlikely he ever will be, he's played 300+ games and it is what it is still

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What rebounds?

Nobody is having an issue handling that shot from the point
Lol.
Come on Kiwi your bias is showing. There is almost always a scramble play in the slot or crease when a point shot gets through. Also I've seen goalies absorb a shot from the likes of Weber Pronger Chara and Nourque to name a few.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd prefer Zaitsev's, it's a good mix of decent power plus accuracy, Rielly is not a great shooter from the point and it's unlikely he ever will be, he's played 300+ games and it is what it is still
I think his shot from the point is better this year and I think it can and will improve over the next could years. 23 is not old for a defenseman. Quite the opposite.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
For whatever reason Rielly has become a whipping boy for many here and it's really annoying. He's a damn good defenseman

You can blame the analytics community which doesn't give a **** about quality of competition or quality of linemates when interpreting their data.

Reactions: zeke

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lol.
Come on Kiwi your bias is showing. There is almost always a scramble play in the slot or crease when a point shot gets through. Also I've seen goalies absorb a shot from the likes of Weber Pronger Chara and Nourque to name a few.

Not when it's that much of a muffin, unless the goalie is completely blindsided he's not giving up a rebound on that

I think his shot from the point is better this year and I think it can and will improve over the next could years. 23 is not old for a defenseman. Quite the opposite.

He's got some nice qualities, his shot isn't one of them unfortunately and probably never will be

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not when it's that much of a muffin, unless the goalie is completely blindsided he's not giving up a rebound on that

He's got some nice qualities, his shot isn't one of them unfortunately and probably never will be
The thing I I'm not saying his shot is a boomer. I'm saying it's going to get better and right now it's not as bad as you suggest.
I was talking with another poster how noted Rielly has a better shot off the rush than from the point. I agree with this, but it also tells me that hos shot from the point can/will get better.
I'm willing to wait until he's 25 before I put the "his shot is what it is" label on it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You can blame the analytics community which doesn't give a **** about quality of competition or quality of linemates when interpreting their data.

correct.

thankfully, they are getting over their arrogance and starting to realize they were missing something huge.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The thing I I'm not saying his shot is a boomer. I'm saying it's going to get better and right now it's not as bad as you suggest.
I was talking with another poster how noted Rielly has a better shot off the rush than from the point. I agree with this, but it also tells me that hos shot from the point can/will get better.
I'm willing to wait until he's 25 before I put the "his shot is what it is" label on it.

It floats, all the way from the blue-line, he's a knuckle ball pitcher

He's a great skater with some solid qualities but he's not a strong shooter when he's shooting from the blue-line

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2yrs before the Big 3 showed up

Gardiner (24-25): 2.78p60 5v4, 0.00p60 5v3
Rielly (20-21): 2.77p60 5v4, 0.00p60 5v3

2yrs since the Big 3 showed up

Rielly (22-23): 4.43p60 5v4 / 22.43p60 5v3
Zaitsev (25-26): 3.39p60 5v4 / 46.51p60 5v3
Gardiner (26-27): 3.07p60 5v4 / 7.40p60 5v3

Again, Rielly is our best PP dman.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd could put up things that make Martin look like an offensive juggernaut, doesn't mean he is though
A shot is a shot. Not asking for interpretative extrapolation here.
All that clip and many of his other goals tells me is that his shot can get heavier and it's already accurate. Building blocks where some more hard work will payoff down the road.
You're just saying it's crap and will always be crap and while you might be right, there is no reason to think that his shot cannot get heavier.
I think time and 1000 pucks shot for the next 2 summers and his shot will get heavier because his mechanics are very good. What is your reasoning that it can't get heavier/better?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I know! He's already 23!!!!! The clock is ticking
:sarcasm:

Well the clock is always ticking, but most players today figure out how to shoot the puck properly by 23. But I know, Rielly is still tracking to be Duncan Keith, so I'm going to sit back and wait.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well the clock is always ticking, but most players today figure out how to shoot the puck properly by 23. But I know, Rielly is still tracking to be Duncan Keith, so I'm going to sit back and wait.
Lol he can shoot the puck properly. Developing a heavy shot is about time and repetition.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Lol he can shoot the puck properly. Developing a heavy shot is about time and repetition.
Any improvements at this point would be marginal at best. These guys are firing so many pucks over their life and through training that you won't see any monumental changes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A shot is a shot. Not asking for interpretative extrapolation here.
All that clip and many of his other goals tells me is that his shot can get heavier and it's already accurate. Building blocks where some more hard work will payoff down the road.
You're just saying it's crap and will always be crap and while you might be right, there is no reason to think that his shot cannot get heavier.
I think time and 1000 pucks shot for the next 2 summers and his shot will get heavier because his mechanics are very good. What is your reasoning that it can't get heavier/better?

He's played 300+ games and it hasn't markedly improved, I'm positive he's been working on it for years and that's what he's managed to get it to, that's not good and expecting a large improvement now seems pretty unlikely to me

I never said his shot was "crap" I called it a muffin, which is fair

Ok, go ahead and find me 5 Matt Martin clips where he truly looks like a juggernaut.

Yeah, I'm not waisting my time doing that for you

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think the things that make Gardiner better than Rielly on the PP are shown with statistics. PP goal against the Rangers. Unassisted end-to-end goal where he fools every ranger on the ice. They have no idea he's going for it until it's too late, to the point that it looks almost ridiculous that nobody just poke-checks him. How does he do it? Because he's looking at his obvious pass option the whole time, and he's a deceptive skater. Lulled them into thinking he was slowing down when he was actually maintaining a high enough speed to split the D, by leaning the wrong way. Now Rielly is a great skater, but he's not a deceptive skater. He can go end-to-end but he doesn't make it happen out of nowhere, and he doesn't have the kind of wrister that Gardiner used to beat Lundqvist there.

I like Rielly more than ever, but I'm not convinced he has the same offensive instincts as Gardiner. Gardiner does some really creative stuff from the point. Look at his primary assists on the Nylander goal against the Jets. Not a PP goal, but a play from the point where he just straight up fools everybody on the ice. Nobody knows he's going to Nylander, not even Nylander. In fact his body language is so convincing he almost loses his balance and falls over passing it back across his body.

His assist on the Bozak goal against the Rangers. Again, not a PP goal but a play where he starts from the blue-line and fools everybody. He's got 3 Rangers mesmerized thinking he's going to do a lap behind the net. If Rielly were making these plays there would be no question who our long-term #1 D-man is going to be. But I feel like Rielly gets tunnel-vision with the puck, where he's decided what he's going to try rather than reacting to the situation. I have no other explanation why he'll so often rush the puck only to force a pass that isn't there, or do the opposite and miss an open lane. He holds onto the puck too long.

Compared to Gardiner you get fewer mistakes but also fewer single-handed offensive contributions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad